sharetrader
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default 2024 NZX Stock Picking Comp

Hi Everyone,

Here is the link to the 2024 NZX Stock Picking Competition board

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j1jwFjyUnGGqLZX_o8PAJsxZ5Y0L60Em0VxcUDvrT2c/edit?usp=sharing

As usual, data and information will be updated regularly during trading hours.

Here are the rules and other information for 2024 NZX
    Stock Picking Competition.

Rules:
    "1) Pick FIVE different NZX-listed equity instruments (incl. Smartshares and foreign companies listed in NZ).
    - Companies/Funds with a market cap of less than $7m may not be selected."
    2) Please also make SIXTH & SEVENTH picks - this will be used as a 'backup preference' should one or two of your picks delist or merge during the year. It won't cover companies that are placed in liquidation or dissolved.
    3) Each pick has an equal weighting. You cannot pick the same option more than once.
    4) Picks in by 9am January 3rd 2024 (New Zealand time); i.e., prior to trading opening.

Returns calculations:
    1) Each will start with a notional portfolio of $50,000 ($10,000 per pick)
    2) Returns will be calculate from the last closing price of 2023 (Dec 29th 2023) to the last closing price of 2024.
    3) Its a 'total return' competition. Dividends, Rights, Warrants will be included.
    3.1) Dividends will be calculated as following: for PIE entities declared Dividend Amount will be used; for non PIE entities the following formula is used (Dividend Amount + Imputation Credit) - 33%. So, effectively it will be Net Dividends. In addition for Dividends paid in AUD and GBP appropriate exchange rates will apply
    3.2) Rights issue will be calculated as following: Number of rights will calculated according to declared ratio. Amount needed to buy new shares will be Number of rights multiplied by Exercise/Issue Price. To cover that amount Number of existing shares will be "sold". That number will be Amount needed divided by Share price at the end of the first trading day after the announcement. Difference between new Issued shares and shares "sold" to cover cost will be added to your holding.
    3.3) Warrants issue will be calculated as following: Number of warrants will be calculated according to declared ratio. If warrants declared as tradable on NZX, value of those warrants according to the current price will be added to associated ticker. Otherwise there will be no additional value. Also there will be no additional value if warrants exercise date is before end of 2024.
    4) If a selection delists or otherwise somehow dissolves; it will be kept but adjusted in your selections to reflect the realised situation resulting from the event causing this. The realisation will then be "re-invested" in your backup preference (see 2), allowing the opportunity to continue participation on a level playing field.
    5) Winner is the person who has the largest %age increase.

How to register:

Registration is now closed.

Here is the link to Registration form
    https://script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbzh6Dai6HLSL8H5JD9TIancAQTfTrFAXxUq8SYohvv5EW 4tsodHusBSDMccQsGP7HI2/exec

To register for the first time you need to provide User Name of your choice (if User Name you have chosen already in use you would need to choose another one) and E-mail address then click 'Request Unique Code'. An unique code will be send to email address you provided. If you can't find that email in your Inbox folder you might need to check your Junk/Spam folder. After you receive your Unique Code you can copy-paste it into Unique Code field. Now you can use it along with User Name and E-mail address which you have registered to enter or update your entries by clicking 'Continue'. Once you entered your picks click 'Submit'.
    If you lose your unique code you can use the same User Name and E-mail to request it again. Click 'Request Unique Code' and the same unique code will be send to the email address you provided.
    You will be able to register up to 3 different User Names with the same email address. Each User Name will receive its own unique code.
    If you want to change/update your selection just use the same form enter User Name, E-mail and Unique Code you have used at first registration and click 'Continue'. After you made changes click 'Submit'.

Registration will be closed 9am January 3rd 2024 (New Zealand time) prior to trading opening.

To see the list of all current participants, eligible companies and competition rules click this link
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pheuKnW4jxZbhwTjxdKvWmMLeapre1F7js7NLywwEGk/edit#gid=0

If you encounter any issues please let me know

Good luck to you all!

xp04
    Last edited by xp04; 19-01-2024 at 12:39 PM.

Excellent! it worked a treat, thank you.

Wow I wouldn't know how to organise something like this. I'd have to do it with pencil and paper.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Excellent! it worked a treat, thank you.

Wow I wouldn't know how to organise something like this. I'd have to do it with pencil and paper.
    Worked a treat for me too.
    Thank you xpo4 for running this year's competition.

Many thanks for setting this up. Best of luck to everyone

Legend

Many thanks xp04 for running this for 2024

Everything works a treat

We lost a lot of the fun volatile picks, like NTL etc this time

Up and running. Thanks xpo4.

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    We lost a lot of the fun volatile picks, like NTL etc this time
    Thank you everyone.

I do not know where that rule come from but I agree that restrictions on market cap is a bit harsh. I think some small companies are quite popular around here and surely someone would be happy to add them to their selection. Rules are meant to be broken. So, it’s not too late to make some exceptions to that rule. Let me know if you want some currently excluded companies to be added.

Merry Christmas to you all and have a safe one!
    Cheers

Thanks in advance for your services xpo4 for running the comp ,
    Good luck to fellow contestants.
    Hopefully we are all in for a wild positive ride 2024.Yeeha!

The year for Synlait return to the glory days!

My guess 2031!