sharetrader

I am accumulating . Hope the report on the 18th is OK

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Snoopy's role as the Reserve Bank banking advisor (informally on this forum -- but I'm sure the RB take notice) will need to come to an end as he is now biased!

This forum has no place for bias from any of the canine posters
    Unfair unfair! Yes it is true that since becoming a HGH shareholder, I have had a sudden realisation that Heartland extracting themselves from that dastardly collection of southern lakes property developments from the GFC days must have been entirely due to the skill of management. No luck could possibly have been involved. And yes I am starting to appreciate that as a moniker for our leader, "Sir Jeffrey Greenslade" has a nice ring to it.

But apart from that, being 'inside the tent' will not mean any blunting off this beagle's teeth. Skin in the game will see to that!

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Unfair unfair! Yes it is true that since becoming a HGH shareholder, I have had a sudden realisation that Heartland extracting themselves from that dastardly collection of southern lakes property developments from the GFC days must have been entirely due to the skill of management. No luck could possibly have been involved. And yes I am starting to appreciate that as a moniker for our leader, "Sir Jeffrey Greenslade" has a nice ring to it.

But apart from that, being 'inside the tent' will not mean any blunting off this beagle's teeth. Skin in the game will see to that!

SNOOPY
    With two beagles on board barking and biting in unison what could possibly go wrong lol
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

I’m accumulating, but do expect a decrease in dividend up coming to fund for growth or another capital raise. I do value this share a little higher at $1.70. Either way I am holding on from long ago

Well , a lot of excitement on this forum re HGH despite it being a very downward sloping chart , however lo and behold I've spotted a possible reversal pattern here as well. Again a bullish gartley perhaps not quite as perfect as the one on Z Energy , and it is a bit holey and spotted looking using normal candlesticks on the chart. But if I Heiken Ashi those candles it smooths it out and the pattern looks more complete and more critically, it does retrace the required 61.8 and 78.6% on the B and D points.

Attachment 10303

We've had a bounce off the D point , its not exactly the greatest indication of a turnaround but it is a bounce and that bounce is now retracing so if you were a risk taker its not a bad time to punt on the pattern.
    Entry 1.37-8 , Stop Loss 1.32 , first target 1.45 but hope for a lot more (otherwise the trade is somewhat marginal on risk/reward basis) .

FWIW DYOR no responsibility taken.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Well , a lot of excitement on this forum re HGH despite it being a very downward sloping chart , however lo and behold I've spotted a possible reversal pattern here as well. Again a bullish gartley perhaps not quite as perfect as the one on Z Energy , and it is a bit holey and spotted looking using normal candlesticks on the chart. But if I Heiken Ashi those candles it smooths it out and the pattern looks more complete and more critically, it does retrace the required 61.8 and 78.6% on the B and D points.

Attachment 10303

We've had a bounce off the D point , its not exactly the greatest indication of a turnaround but it is a bounce and that bounce is now retracing so if you were a risk taker its not a bad time to punt on the pattern.
    Entry 1.37-8 , Stop Loss 1.32 , first target 1.45 but hope for a lot more (otherwise the trade is somewhat marginal on risk/reward basis) .

FWIW DYOR no responsibility taken.
    Thanks Peat. Your analysis appreciated. I hope your 'bullish gartley' all 'holey' and 'spotted' is not too contagious .
    Looks like a mild sort of bullish penant formation to me. But I wouldn't bet my house on it.
    Last edited by Leftfield; 09-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    But I wouldn't bet my house on it.
    Totally

Tho maybe the deck?
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    There was a tiny foot note at the bottom of page 6 (of the HGH restructuring proposal):

"It is a condition of Heartland Bank’s registration as a registered bank that Heartland Bank must conduct a substantial portion of its business within New Zealand. This requires Heartland Bank’s Australian assets to not exceed 33% of its total assets."

Yet if you go over to the Cameron Partners Report p23, or p64 of the 'report within a report'.

Requirement for Substantial portion of business in New Zealand (Total Assets Maximum): Not disclosed

Why did Heartland not disclose to Camerons the maximum amount of business they could do outside of New Zealand, when they knew what it was all along? Could it be that if they had disclosed this, then Cameron's would have realised that they could more than double their business in Australia with the rules as they are now? And if Cameron's had known this, then the touted advantage of removing the 'constraint on Australian funding and asset growth' would probably not be a factor for several years of organic business growth?

Of course it might be that Heartland wants to acquire a substantial existing reverse mortgage portfolio from a third party to add to their existing operations. In that case the restructure would be understandable. But if this was the case, why doesn't Heartland tell you shareholders what is in the wind?

This proposal removes the protection of Reserve Bank of NZ oversight for no good reason. It will make no difference to Heartland profitability for the next couple of years at least if you vote in down. This new arrangement is an erosion of minority shareholder oversight and protection IMO. Vote it down folks.
    I wrote the above before I was a shareholder and before 'you shareholders' voted the deal through. For shareholders at that time, the HGH restructuring has been a disaster. We have had this and the PGW seed sale as recent incidences where the directors apparently did not know best. Shareholders in both of these companies who blindly followed the directors voting advice at consideration time, have ended up voting for the destruction of their own share capital. Perhaps 'thinking for yourself' might be a salutatory lesson to learn from this?

I talked to my broker before buying into Heartland recently. He said that talk around the institutions was that Heartland had doubled down on their Australian operations at exactly the wrong time. Confirmation of further falling property values, particularly in Sydney and Melbourne, meant many institutions have headed for the exit. However, my broker suggested that the dividend yield had become so compelling that he saw value at $1.38. If the restructuring had not gone through and Heartland had 'stuck to its knitting' my broker thought the share price would be about $1.80 now. Co-incidence or not, the $1.38 trading price is 10% below my 'fair valuation' of the company, this time based on a multi-year picture of dividend yield. My own modelling suggests that $1.38 is good value even if the dividend falls a cent or two. That means I will be happy to hold on to my HGH shares, even if this does eventuate.

That 'Aussie Banking Industry Spanking' dealt out by Kenneth M Hayne, Commissioner looks determined to see trailing commissions on mortgages phased out, in favour of a one off 'fee for service' charge. I don't know how any trailing commissions were structured by Heartland for arranging REMs in Australia. But they may have increased as the loan value increased via accruing of interest over the years. That won't happen from now on.

Most of Heartland's representation in Australia is through brokers in Australia. I presume there is no such thing as a 'Reverse Mortgage Broker'. These brokers would handle all mortgage products. So why would they put their efforts into encouraging REM loans which tend to be smaller than regular mortgages? I think the selling of REM loans into Australia is destined to get a lot harder!

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 10-02-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Welcome to the Heartland registry Snoopy. Pity you did not sign up back in the days when the risk/reward ratio was higher.

I voted against this restructure (and also against the PGW sale) and of the ten NZX holdings I currently have, HGH is the smallest.
    But I am not particularly concerned about the timing of Heartland's expansion in the Oz market. It is a long game and now is as good as any other.

So the $64 question: Does the Snow Leopard think a $1.38 is good value for money?
    The $64 answer: Yes.

The $65 question: Is the Snow Leopard buying?
    The $65 answer: No. Look at that chart! (but really it is because I have no spare change)
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 11-02-2019 at 02:52 AM.
    om mani peme hum

Default The Law of Supply and Demand - No selling required when supply dries up !

I think the selling of REM loans into Australia is destined to get a lot harder! Snoopy
    A reality check from one hound to another. People are just like dogs, they like to eat and have their treats. If the food bowl provided by most all other sources has been withdrawn then every man woman and dog of age will look for some food bowl that's full. You don't have to sell anything. People and Beagles can't help themselves and like their treats, they will follow their nose and come looking. Payment of commissions is irrelevant to people eating into their own homes equity...if the customer must pay it then it will simply be loaded onto the loan.

Falling house prices will sort themselves out over time and I am confident that HGH's lending policies are fairly conservative.

One other thought for the day. As one of the very last food providers, those needy and looking for treats might find they have to pay a bit more for them...that would be a real "disappointment" for HGH shareholders wouldn't it

The $64,000 question is are HGH shares value at this price ?...Is the Pope a Catholic ? Do I expect a quick ascent from here, absolutely not but with a gross dividend yield of ~ 9% and a forward PE of ~ 11 every man and his dog has the luxury of being patient.

Why are a number of people talking about a dividend cut when eps is going up this year ? Some people appear to have forgotten that the RBNZ's capital adequacy proposal is just that, a proposal and that even if implemented in its current radical form, banks will have 5 years to comply and HGH can get there solely through its dividend reinvestment scheme issuing shares at , (from memory a 2% discount to VWAP). Ask yourself this simple question and the penny might drop. What would happen to the shareholder participation rate of the dividend reinvestment scheme if they raised the discount level to 3 or 4% ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-02-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine