sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Perhaps The NZ Govt should only guarantee deposits in NZ owned banks ?.............lol.
    Remember how NZ government stepped in and guaranteed finance companies' deposits during the GFC?

As it was then, it will be too if banks here start falling.

Not worried about the current situation at all - governments will pump money via the printing presses until the Parousia if need be.

Wouldn't of thought I'd get back into hgh at these prices.How do we think recent events will effect dividends?Strange days indeed

For what its worth I closed out a small short position I put on (some time back) at $1.75 this morning at $1.01. I will look to go long again once we're further through with seeing the extent of the economic effects of this virus. I have no reservations about HGH surviving this thing, and still hold considerable funds with them on term deposit and call account. Happy to be a shareholder again when the time is opportune.

Will revert to my usual approach or tuning up my long range radar nose and leap in when I sense the faintest smell of a pending feed

Whether the current dividend level is sustainable or not is the $64,000 question ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-03-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    For what its worth I closed out a small short position I put on (some time back) at $1.75 this morning at $1.01. I will look to go long again once we're further through with seeing the extent of the economic effects of this virus. I have no reservations about HGH surviving this thing, and still hold considerable funds with them on term deposit and call account. Happy to be a shareholder again when the time is opportune.

Will revert to my usual approach or tuning up my long range radar nose and leap in when I sense the faintest smell of a pending feed

Whether the current dividend level is sustainable or not is the $64,000 question ?
    What do you think will kill them?
    Banks seem to have a lot of Govt support at the moment with the Govt guarantees (risk sharing) on loans etc

Other than the chance of a really protracted Great Depression, (low chance of that in my opinion), I think they will be fine.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Looks like the CEO has picked up a couple of 10k parcels this month, well above the current asking price. Not that it means a lot in the context of his total holding.

Dilettante

So Heartland Bank and other registered banks have had their core funding ratio reduced from 75% to 50% by the Reserve Bank and also basically been told to get out there and lend to their business customers under the "Government's Business Finance Guarantee Scheme".
    But conditions include no dividends while this situation lasts which obviously does not preclude HGH from paying dividends. But I would expect and hope HGH follows the spirit of this condition and suspends dividends for a time and lends money out to businesses in need

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

We are definitely living in interesting times.

Assuming that Heartland survives this then hopefully it survive the aftermath and rebuild the necessary reserves.
    om mani peme hum

A little less draconian than the UK regulator which just issued an edict banning the large banks and building societies from paying dividends in 2020 (including already declared dividends from 2019 profits), conducting share buy backs or paying staff bonuses.

Sold mine on Tuesday @ $1.02, now I'm not really game enough to buy back in