sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

I would hazard a guess that Heartland with 3 out of 12 of its senior management team as females (including the notional head of people) has a fair degree of gender bias when appointing new managers ....and probably many talented women (best person for job) being overlooked (many studies show this as prevalent in most organisations)
    That is bordering on a defamatory statement.

What "Diversity" policies forget to recognise is that it is actually illegal to discriminate, in employment, against a person based on the sex.

I hope you aren't suggesting HBL is breaching the Human Rights Act. HBL is after all working in a highly regulated and compliance required industry.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    That is bordering on a defamatory statement.

What "Diversity" policies forget to recognise is that it is actually illegal to discriminate, in employment, against a person based on the sex.

I hope you aren't suggesting HBL is breaching the Human Rights Act. HBL is after all working in a highly regulated and compliance required industry.
    Absolutely - but if they are required not to discriminate, why are they doing it?

Nothing defamatory about winners statement. Just plain common sense. Look at it from a different perspective - given that women are (in average) as capable as men ... how is it even possible that the overwhelming majority of all business leaders are male, which means that most businesses exclude half of the talent pool from running their business?

The only sensible explanation is that (many) males are discriminating against women when making recruitment decisions - and with that they go for the second best male (left) instead of hiring the best person to do the job.

I do agree with winner - not just HBL could be a better organisation if they would hire the best people to do the job instead of turning to one group of the population a blind eye. Let's hope they go for it!
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

just moving away from all the diversity talk for a sec. I think Heartlands internet banking is truly awful. I only perservere for the better interest rates and because I am a shareholder. What do others think? I guess the problem is I am comparing to ANZ which has a pretty good internet banking platform that is super easy to get around and use (and they have plenty of money to make it good). I even find Rabobank easier than HBL and they arent that great either.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    given that women are (in average) as capable as men ...
    That is not a "given". We really ought to take this of topic.

But....

All bankers are born equal. But through life things start to get streamed.

What you need to be asking is: If there is a senior manager vacancy in HBL what is the gender makeup of the job applicants. If it is 90% male 10% female odds are a male will get the job. Hopefully not because hopefully the best person gets it.

So while males and females are born with equal capability it might be that though their life progressions their capability is not the same the higher up the food change you go. And I don't mean so much "capability" (That is the the potential to achieve) but more the "ability" (that is a person has achieved).

And if you want to play a numbers game the Maori will never get a senior management job because Maori only make up 15% of the population. Leaving 85% of non-maori more likely to get a job.

Same with language. If you are going to put Maori into you Annual report why arent you looking at diversity and putting an Asian language in there.

Non of this should matter as it distracts from the job of being excellent bankers!

Quote Originally Posted by suse View Post
    just moving away from all the diversity talk for a sec. I think Heartlands internet banking is truly awful. I only perservere for the better interest rates and because I am a shareholder. What do others think? I guess the problem is I am comparing to ANZ which has a pretty good internet banking platform that is super easy to get around and use (and they have plenty of money to make it good). I even find Rabobank easier than HBL and they arent that great either.
    I agree - internet banking truely awful

Easier to ring and talk to a real person to get things sorted ......but that seems contradictory to their digital startegy

my small sample based on use - 100% of people on 0800 number are male - just saying
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

That is not a "given". We really ought to take this of topic.
    Agreed. Here we go:

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...l=1#post695048
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

percy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Thank you.......

Same with language. If you are going to put Maori into you Annual report why aren't you looking at diversity and putting an Asian language in there.
    Because New Zealand does not have an indigenous Asian language? I never understand why people are so anti Te reo Maori.

Otherwise agreed, you need to consider the number of applications from various groups before claiming they are being discriminated against by HBL.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Thank you.......
    Relief eh percy .....issue gone away ...no worries

But I'll continue to bring up Heartland diversity because I am proud of them showing committment to such things.

Remember they do what they say they will do ....somebody has to keep track of that eh
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Dilettante

SP now 20% higher than the price of the Rights. That's diversity I like a lot