sharetrader

Nonsense? I think its great. I want a day and why not? Should be a public holiday too.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Thanks for that - thought I was missing out on something. I see NZ isnt one of the listed countries that participates in such nonsense.
    I believe you may be missing out on something. That link said "International Men's Day is celebrated in over 70 countries,[9] including..." then listed 39 of those 70 countries. Here in NZ it is often recognized by events such as the Blue Ribbon Ride to highlight prostate cancer. It is not a day off work, and doesn't receive the same publicity that women's events do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I believe you may be missing out on something. That link said "International Men's Day is celebrated in over 70 countries,[9] including..." then listed 39 of those 70 countries. Here in NZ it is often recognized by events such as the Blue Ribbon Ride to highlight prostate cancer. It is not a day off work, and doesn't receive the same publicity that women's events do.
    I'm not missing out because its not something worth highlighting when I can celebrate it every day. And dont get me started on the sexist health department funding which must be run by wimmins. Prostate kills as many men as breast cancer but do these Wimmins put in as much money for prevention. No way. Anyhow - getting way off topic now!

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    No.more disappointed you have nothing better to contribute to Sharetrader.
    I think it's a relevant contribution to the Heartland thread. ...just as diversity seems to be important to Heartland

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I think it's a relevant contribution to the Heartland thread. ...just as diversity seems to be important to Heartland
    I definitely think this is an issue worth debating and we should look at results from countries that are doing things different to us in this field. As you know, I have seen positive changes in a different country. But the Heartland thread taken over with pages of this already this morning is not the thread for it. It is not a company specific issue

You guys are right after all with all this carry on by Heartland about gender and enthnicity

I had a nice lunch with a wise old gentleman today. He reckons that many companies may have grown past their point of optimal size.

They then start wasting effort and money on feel-good diversity campaigns ....because they have so much scope for waste, not because its inherently economically beneficial or productive

Sort of makes sense - you were all right after all.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    You guys are right after all with all this carry on by Heartland about gender and enthnicity

I had a nice lunch with a wise old gentleman today. He reckons that many companies may have grown past their point of optimal size.

They then start wasting effort and money on feel-good diversity campaigns ....because they have so much scope for waste, not because its inherently economically beneficial or productive

Sort of makes sense - you were all right after all.
    Been trying to tell you that for a while mate. All this printing of parts of the annual report in Maori and then going on to specifically single Maori's out for special treatment in the company and dressing that up as "general diversity" when we all know what it really is, is absolutely outrageous in my opinion.
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-03-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Been trying to tell you that for a while mate. All this printing of parts of the annual report in Maori and then going on to specifically single Maori's out for special treatment in the company and dressing that up as "general diversity" when we all know what it really is, is absolutely outrageous in my opinion.
    Agreed.
    Well I guess companies have to try to keep up with public opinion [rubbish] published on internet forums, and in "lifestyle finance" in Fairfax newspapers.??!
    Last edited by percy; 09-03-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Agreed.
    Well I guess companies have to try to keep up with public opinion [rubbish] published on internet forums, and in "lifestyle finance" in Fairfax newspapers.??!
    I think they take it to a new overt level and some shareholder(s) need to take the board to task for this. Must be some commercial reason they'd go so far out on a limb surely ? I for one wouldn't mind wagering a few quid that a significant amount of treaty settlement money was deposited by Iwi and it came with strings attached.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Yes I would expect from Heartland's savvy board and management, it may well be for sound commercial reasons.
    The very experienced board do have a lot of social/community commitments.
    They connect with the community,staff,depositors,customers, and investors.

ps.With my granddaughter learning Maori,Heartland's annual report may be just what I am looking for to get her interested in the sharemarket.
    Guess I may have to buy her a few shares ,so she gets her own report.?
    Last edited by percy; 10-03-2018 at 07:46 AM.