sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Been trying to tell you that for a while mate. All this printing of parts of the annual report in Maori and then going on to specifically single Maori's out for special treatment in the company and dressing that up as "general diversity" when we all know what it really is, is absolutely outrageous in my opinion.
    I don't. So what is it really?

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    I don't. So what is it really?
    Open both eyes and you'll see for yourself.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Open both eyes and you'll see for yourself.
    That is the sort of put down that this site doesn't need. Your contributions are usually thoughtful and valuable and I think it is unworthy of you. You have a problem with Heartland's diversity policy generally, along with some others on this site, but it has never been clear to me what it is. I hesitate to ascribe it to generalised sexism or racism, and I invite you to explain why you believe that a diversity policy is not good for Heartland and its shareholders.

Veteran novice

It seems to me - I'm not a shareholder - that Heartland sees it as a point of difference to be "Kiwi", which in their view includes an effort to include te reo in their communications to shareholders and the wider investment market. Probably an effective and appropriate strategy in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    That is the sort of put down that this site doesn't need. Your contributions are usually thoughtful and valuable and I think it is unworthy of you. You have a problem with Heartland's diversity policy generally, along with some others on this site, but it has never been clear to me what it is. I hesitate to ascribe it to generalised sexism or racism, and I invite you to explain why you believe that a diversity policy is not good for Heartland and its shareholders.
    Personally I don't think a diversity policy is any good for a company,it should be the best person for the job,and the best person for the companies onward progression and growth. If that person be female,asian,maori or whatever then great.
    But I do think HBL are trying to snuggle up to as many different ethnicities as they can,as it improves the likelyhood of improved business. imop. Those ethnicities are an important and large percentage of our economy now.
    Last edited by kizame; 11-03-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    It seems to me - I'm not a shareholder - that Heartland sees it as a point of difference to be "Kiwi", which in their view includes an effort to include te reo in their communications to shareholders and the wider investment market. Probably an effective and appropriate strategy in 2018.
    Absolutely right. They’re tagging the #metoo campaign, walking the talk that they are not an Aussie bank, giving themselves a point of difference. All banks basically offer the same things, so why will kiwis choose heartland... they’ll choose heartland with their heart

IMO

We are in the era of inclusiveness,diversity and collaboration now. It does sound like some are still stuck in the past and yes to me it suggests sexism and racism not just ignorance. Come on get with the present and value this country and the diversity it is, all for one and one for all. heartland is showing by example.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Merit and competency aren't hard things to judge and don't need sub-committees to over complicate. All you do is look at achievements. Its not what a person could do, its what a person has proven to have done.
    It appears that people are often rated on potential rather than performance. For example the fact that a woman MAY have a baby sometime in the future which may affect her career is about potential rather than performance.

http://www.science20.com/news_articl..._record-155376
    “Male applicants with leadership potential were most likely to be seen as successful and having the most impressive CV. Also, the findings suggested that men with leadership potential were rated higher than men with leadership performance. However, female applicants with potential were not rated higher than those with performance.”

http://www.catalyst.org/zing/how-new...ing-women-back
    • Men are promoted on potential, women on performance. Why do so many young male hotshots move up the ladder ahead of their more seasoned female peers? Because women are judged on what they have actually done. For promising men, potential is enough to win the day, according to research by Catalyst and McKinsey. Women have to prove themselves over and over and constantly fight the stereotype that they don’t have what it takes to be real leaders. Even in female-dominated fields, men get on the “Glass Escalator” and rise faster and higher than their equally qualified women colleagues.

I reckon I'm better than what I actually am - in everything except stock picking

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=STMOD;707471]Not happy with the direction this thread is taking.

Couldnt agree more.
    When I was banned along with others-even though it was only for a short-time it certainly made me reflect on how inappropriate threads can get