sharetrader

last time I listened to you doomsayers I sold a chunk and then the price jumped back up again. I might hold this time but what would be interesting is if it does fall to $1.60 how long do you think before it recovers? Will we have to wait till Jeff tells us they've got profit of 69M instead of 68M
    PS I absolutely recognise that you guys know much more about this than I ever hope to or want to, so bow to your superior knowledge! and it was probably a good thing I sold those shares when I did.

Suse — we all know Heartland are performing. They are pretty reliable and if anything f18 earnings will be above guidance

So the discussion about where the share is going is only punters second guessing where market sentiment is going (that’s essentially is out of Heartlands control)

Charts show what that sentiment has been lately ...the future ...well your guess is good as anybody’s .
    Last edited by winner69; 03-04-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

suse, I certainly don't know more about this than you or anybody here I dare say. Merely looking at the charts and trying to work out whether the SP will continue to fall. Or not. Or turn around. Or ...

As winner69 says, your guess is just as good as mine, maybe better

percy

"At the end of the day" my fully imputed dividend is in my bank account.
    A big fat one it is too.
    Most probably get an even fatter one later in the year.?
    Am I getting ahead of myself thinking next year's will be even fatter?
    Last edited by percy; 03-04-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Dilettante

Agree with winner69 and oldtech, its anybody's call and totally reliant on your method and what type of investor you are. Having been a SH in this one for many moons and a couple of name changes, I don't know how many times I would have sold and bought this stock if I invested purely based on sentiment (and risked IRD classing me as a trader). But I originally invested in an interesting company that ever since has done pretty well and at times pleasantly surprised us. It continues to do well.
    For the first time, I sold 2/3 of my holdings early January but will hold the remainder for many years to come and add through the DRP. Sometimes we lose on the DRP and sometimes we gain. C'est la vie.
    I do note that only about 27% of SH chose the DRP this time so maybe they are not confident the SP will grow much in the near future, or maybe they just need some cash. Either way, I will happily hold.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-04-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Membaa

6 cent capital loss on the DRP, 3 million new shares in play diluting share holdings.
    6 cent loss on balance of capital holdings on the day.
    43 cents down (21%) on the high share price.

3.5 cents dividend paid. Was it worth it?

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    [snip] Still - there is this saying about falling knives ... and the HBL chart might look like an unfinished head and shoulders ...
    Chart says long term horizontal support (major) fail breakdown and death cross (50EMA/200DMA). If it's a H&S forming, the right shoulder now starts lower, we just don't know how much lower which is harder to break out of (the more lopsided it gets) and increasingly more likely to break down as it completes.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    6 cent capital loss on the DRP, 3 million new shares in play diluting share holdings.
    6 cent loss on balance of capital holdings on the day.
    43 cents down (21%) on the high share price.

3.5 cents dividend paid. Was it worth it?
    Depends what your average per share cost price was, and what your investing objectives are.?
    For many of us, we have tripled or quadrupled our capital over the past 5 to 7 years, and are now receiving 5% plus fully imputed dividends on the current increased capital.
    Game set and match for someone like me, who has now retired,and the bonus is I will most probably keep on receiving increasing dividends.To me that is what I set out to achieve many years ago.Slowly investing spare capital in a growing company/companies,has meant I have retired "well positioned.".
    As always I expect a good company such as HBL to surprise on the upside.

From age 15 to age 65 the objective is to increase your capital/earnings to provide for lifestyle and your retirement.
    When you have achieved that,and have a steady dividend income that is more than you spend ,you can enjoy your retirement.I am.!
    Last edited by percy; 03-04-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Depends what your average per share cost price was, and what your investing objectives are.?
    For many of us, we have tripled or quadrupled our capital over the past 5 to 7 years, and are now receiving 5% plus fully imputed dividends on the current increased capital.
    Game set and match for someone like me, who has now retired,and the bonus is I will most probably keep on receiving increasing dividends.To me that is what I set out to achieve many years ago.Slowly investing spare capital in a growing company/companies,has meant I have retired "well positioned.".
    As always I expect a good company such as HBL to surprise on the upside.

From age 15 to age 65 the objective is to increase your capital/earnings to provide for lifestyle and your retirement.
    When you have achieved that,and have a steady dividend income that is more than you spend ,you can enjoy your retirement.I am.!
    Contextually that is very helpful thanks Percy, it serves as a yardstick for people to compare their own circumstances. I don't know if "many here" (or the 5x other lurkers) are possibly in similar circumstances to yourself, but if so well done to you all. It won't matter much to you what the SP does, even if it got a severe haircut in a market rout. But for others who may have different circumstances, it might matter. It's good to have varying perspectives, it helps us all to gauge peoples views when they avidly support a company with their posts or when others at times appear ambivalent, or cautious or even bearish for various reasons. One size doesn't fit all.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Contextually that is very helpful thanks Percy, it serves as a yardstick for people to compare their own circumstances. I don't know if "many here" (or the 5x other lurkers) are possibly in similar circumstances to yourself, but if so well done to you all. It won't matter much to you what the SP does, even if it got a severe haircut in a market rout. But for others who may have different circumstances, it might matter. It's good to have varying perspectives, it helps us all to gauge peoples views when they avidly support a company with their posts or when others at times appear ambivalent, or cautious or even bearish for various reasons. One size doesn't fit all.
    It is a huge change of mindset.
    It is funny how it changes.A younger person growing their portfolio can not really live with a company's share price going sideways or down over a couple of years.
    For example EBO's share price in the last 25 years has gone from about 50 cents to $18,and the dividends have steadily increased.
    Now if you are looking solely for capital growth ,you can not have your capital doing nothing for two years,or worse still losing capital.You would have needed to sell out of EBO and get your capital working.
    Yet had you brought 5,000 EBO 25 years ago at a cost of $2,500, and had enjoyed 25 years of dividends you would most probably be happy to sit back and enjoy the 3% yield you are receiving on your $90,000 of EBO shares,knowing that EBO have the capacity to keep increasing their dividend.
    Back to HBL.The questions I ask myself ,
    Can HBL keep paying their dividends.?
    Do HBL have the right business strategy.?
    Do HBL do what they say they will do.?
    Does HBL have a board/management with skin on the line.?
    Will HBL be able to pay INCREASING dividends?.
    For me the answer to all those questions is yes.
    Last edited by percy; 03-04-2018 at 07:44 PM.