sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    No not at all,however the greatest successes I have had investing came from following Jim Slater's advice.
    I do not invest in companies or sectors I do not understand,and nowdays I place a lot of importance on dividend growth.
    The book really was a game changer for me.
    Interestingly enough, Jim's son Mark 's, "Slater Growth Fund" is using "The Zulu Principle" to achieve outstanding results.
    It really works.Try it .
    I will grab the book. Someone also suggested "fooled by Randomness" and it is a great read - about half way thru it now. I think it may have been you or peat? Peat suggested some TA books and those are hard work for me to get thru...

percy

Retired at the end of January.The 69 year old body said enough is enough.Driving long distances and heavy boxes of books took their toll.
    Missing it,but am enjoying not having to rush everything.
    Was going to trade the market for fun,but having to become a trader would mean a change in my tax status,and far too much paper work,and big tax bills.!
    Lucky enough helping out on my late friend's trust non trading portfolio, has taught me good disciplines,and our portfolios do not look as though they will need adjusting for the foreseeable future.
    Buy with the view of never selling,means you spend more time on stock selection.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by dabsman View Post
    I will grab the book. Someone also suggested "fooled by Randomness" and it is a great read - about half way thru it now. I think it may have been you or peat? Peat suggested some TA books and those are hard work for me to get thru...
    Google The Zulu Principle,and down load the pdf.
    The more you read the more you learn.
    Yet you must keep it simple.
    Buffett,and Peter Lynch speak in very simple terms.

Retired at the end of January.The 69 year old body said enough is enough.Driving long distances and heavy boxes of books took their toll.
    Was going to trade the market for fun,but having to become a trader would mean a change in my tax status,and far too much paper work,and big tax bills.!
    Lucky enough helping out on my late friend's trust non trading portfolio, has taught me good disciplines,and our portfolios do not look as though they will need adjusting for the foreseeable future.
    Buy with the view of never selling,means you spend more time on stock selection.
    Percy, I totally agree with your last statement, that's how I have been operating for the last 30 odd years. Buy, hold and add too if necessary.

Best wishes for a long and happy retirement Percy.
    There's SUM pretty nice retirement villages down your way, the one you showed me that RYM built looked very nice too.
    The most common phrase you'll hear around retirement villages with the excellent camaraderie and community spirit that exists in almost all of them is I wish I'd moved in years ago. My mum's one has a weekly newsletter with all the activities and gong's on in her village and she tells me she's never had such an active and busy social life. You could even run a little share club for residents, I am sure they would appreciate that.
    HBL the best bank stock for fully imputed dividends, I am sure that's one thing we can agree on
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Thank you Beagle.
    We have looked at a few retirement villages,but have decided we are not ready for them yet.
    Granddaughter is making the most of my retirement.Free Uber.!

Granddaughter is making the most of my retirement.Free Uber.!
    I have been called the UberMensch several times

The “higher man” — or as Nietzsche sometimes called him, the “overman” or “Übermensch
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/%C3%9Cbermensch

For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Chief Risk Officer leaving

Suppose 3 years in job good effort ....for him
    Last edited by winner69; 06-04-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I love how they refer to grant Kemble as having been a partner in a leading law firm. The Russell McVeagh taint 😀

Reading through his credentials...not much specific risk management experience leading up to this.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine