sharetrader
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    ………………………..2017...……...2018...………...2019...………..20 20.
    DPS...……………...9 cents......9.5 cents...…...10 cents.....10.5 cents.

So HBL have the capacity to keep paying increasing fully imputated divies.
    I can't ask for more .
    And that´s exactly why I´ve started accumlating, aiming to get back the number of shares I sold back in December and January. Reliable, juicy and steadily growing dividends will continue to keep me happy with HBL as a core part of my portfolio

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    I have been waiting and tempted but the chart looks freeking ugly and I remember being told "dont buy in a downtrend" so I am still waiting
    $2.14 to $1.70 is a cautionary tale, one might argue it's a great buy while others would sleep better if they paid a bit more for a confirmed reversal back to a uptrend.

Put it this way; if you could know for certain months ago that it would be $1.70 now, would you have held just for the story and the dividends?

Downtrends provide certainty until they are an uptrend, and vice versa. Hence the wisdom in the saying "don't buy downtrends" .. it's just a guess, or a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    ………………………..2017...……...2018...………...2019...………..20 20.
    DPS...……………...9 cents......9.5 cents...…...10 cents.....10.5 cents.

So HBL have the capacity to keep paying increasing fully imputated divies.
    I can't ask for more .
    Looks like a good sound investment case at this level to me. At 10 cps for FY19 fully imputed that's 10 / 0.72 = 13.89 cps gross. 13.89 / 170 = 8.2% forecast gross dividend yield + growth in future years. Further, HBL presently trade cum the forthcoming final dividend to be announced in due course which as everyone knows is usually much bigger than the interim one.

Agree Iceman - My sentiments exactly...all aboard the reliable juicy dividend train... toot toot
    Last edited by Beagle; 29-06-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Who told you that nonsense, I buy in all trends, but my favourite is downtrends when the company is solid and pays good divvies. PS-If your worried about the chart just extend the time frame.
    Love it. Couta does it Couta's way! Keep it up.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs down When I was still in stripes

So on a dividend adjusted basis the 1 year net gain on HBL is {drumroll}:

slightly less than nothing .

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    $2.14 ?

Has HBL released it's own cryptocurrency ?

More than 6 months since I last posted on this thread.
    If it goes down far enough I will post again.

Now off to the bar to meditate.
    om mani peme hum

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    So on a dividend adjusted basis the 1 year net gain on HBL is {drumroll}:

slightly less than nothing .

More than 6 months since I last posted on this thread.
    If it goes down far enough I will post again.

Now off to the bar to meditate.
    Yes last 12 months have been poor. Sharesight tells me +1.92% total return in the last 12 months and 30.77% if I go back 24 months. You win some and you lose some but sure has been a very good stock to hold long term over the last many years.
    But like couta1 said above, all depends on the time frame one looks at

percy

Craig's research dated 30th June has HBL target price of $1.90.
    We live in interesting times.?..
    I would think the growing dividend will under pin the share price.
    Comes a point, others like myself will decide they can't help themselves ; "I will have a bit more of that juicy divie,thank you.".
    Last edited by percy; 30-06-2018 at 10:55 AM.

NZX is a difficult market to find value in...Yeah, NAH...not for those that look hard enough. I agree Percy. 8.2% gross yield for FY19 plus growth in the years ahead should underpin the SP at around the current level. I wonder if yesterday's drop on close was something to do with end of financial year tax loss selling by Australian investors ? Reason I wonder this is the shares were over $2 six months ago so some Australians would be able to sell and claim a tax deduction for their loss if they'd bought north of the current price. Wouldn't surprise me if those canny investors buying at the close yesterday at $1.70 bought either at the bottom of this correction or very, very close to it.

Thanks for sharing Craigs assessment. That gives an average of $1.66 + 1.90 / 2 = $1.78.
    That's right around where I see fair value and when I bought back in recently at $1.75 average I thought it was just a smidgen under fair value at that price.
    I for one am okay to buy more if it gets irrational to the downside from here. I don't normally add to a slightly underwater position but I think I'll make an exception in this case. Self imposed rules are make to be broken on the odd occasion aren't they ! I blame the Beagle dividend hound that lurks within, he can't resist big dividend feeds
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-06-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Online bidding at close can be exciting as well as rewarding.
    I only get the top ten bids and sells online which if there is a lot of trading makes it difficult to work out the close price.
    With Heartland yesterday it was easy to see the close was going to be 1.70 so a bid for 171 ensures you get the share for 1.70.
    I will have no hesitation buying more if it drops further.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Who told you that nonsense, I buy in all trends, but my favourite is downtrends when the company is solid and pays good divvies. PS-If your worried about the chart just extend the time frame.
    Aww Mr Couta you are a special breed who is happy to buy in all trends and I am sure you do very well out of it I have a big aversion to big red arrows so I am trying to be less impulsive and more patient about when I enter a stock. I am still in the red with HLG

So I am weighing up buying some more TRA which seems to be in a nice upward trend, some HBL which appears to be in an ugly downtrend ( even looking at the two year chart) or doubling down and buying some more MPG which has been a horrible share for me but appears to be showing more potential of late. Hmmm the jury is still out on what to do but I fear the impulsive bear will dive into one of them come Monday