sharetrader
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Its not very canny if you buy a div yield stock only to see its value plummet. In the past 6 months HBL had a high of $1.85 and is now 1 cent above the 52 week low of $1.65
    Yep I never participate in any DRP, although most stocks recover their divvy in a few weeks that's not always the case and you can be seriously under water for a long time or worse still be permanently skunked.

Its not very canny if you buy a div yield stock only to see its value plummet. In the past 6 months HBL had a high of $1.85 and is now 1 cent above the 52 week low of $1.65
    Discount is what it is @ 2.5% and many investors have done well over the years using this approach. I can assure you mate you're not the only investor disappointed with the present SP.

Dividend stripping :- I think 8-9 times out of ten shares recover the dividend paid in the SP within a month of going ex. There will always be exceptions but the odds or relative SP outperformance in the month after going ex divvy are very good in my opinion.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-09-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Don’t complain about the DRP ...punters are getting more shares for their buck than the previous payout (for the second time in a row)

That must be good ...isn’t it?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

dont forget about the 1% of shares which have to be sold because they are not allowed to participate in the restructure.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Strike price for the shares in lieu of dividend has been announced and for those canny investors participating they enjoy a 2.5% discount to the VWAP ex divvy trading price over recent days ($1.625). Participation is actually a good way to boost one's effective yield. For example I am forecasting 7.95% gross yield as recently posted in the year ahead but for those taking the shares in lieu their gross yield becomes 7.95 / 0.975 = 8.154%.

Just on 5.3m shares are being issued for this dividend and I am modelling 10.6m shares issued for the year or 1.9% increase in the number on issue. Provided they don't do a capital raise the vast majority of this year's profit growth should translate to EPS growth but I agree with Percy that asking whether this years forecast profit growth will be reflected in an ostensibly similar EPS growth is an excellent question for the annual meeting. After only 2% EPS growth last year I will be seeking some comfort the company hasn't lost focus on the importance of EPS growth.
    Beagle ...don’t overlook last years eps was calculated on a weighted average number of shares.

Some 4% of shares ‘weren’t counted’ last year but will be this year.

Good to see diversity means equal treatment under the law: (something for all directors to think about) https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...ng-allegations

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Beagle ...don’t overlook last years eps was calculated on a weighted average number of shares.

Some 4% of shares ‘weren’t counted’ last year but will be this year.
    Good point the reminder about weighted average number of shares on issue. Forecast at mid point is $76m. Shares currently on issue are 560.14m. Add estimated 5.3m to be issued shortly for this dividend, (on issue for approx. 9 months in FY19) and another estimated 5.3m shares to be issued 6 months hence which will be on issue for just 3 months gives weighted average shares on issue for the year of ~ 566m.

$76m / 566m = EPS of 13.43 cps up 7% on last years 12.54 cps. Average analyst view is EPS of 13.1 cps so it would appear analysts are anticipating a small capital raise at some point in FY19.

13.1 cps / 12.54% EPS is still 4.5% EPS growth.

Might ask an awkward question about EPS growth at the annual meeting and throw the directors a curved ball and bleat about last year's very modest 2% EPS growth.

85-90% chance this is back into the mid $1.70's by late next month (despite the ugly head and shoulders TA, "thanks" Peat), in my opinion.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-09-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Fvck me. Heres me not tuning into the AGM

"E ngā mana, e ngā reo, e ngā rau rangatira, tēnā koutou katoa
    Greetings to all of you, all voices, all authorities and leaders
    Ki ngā iwi o te whenua nei, ki a Ngāi Tai, Ngāti Paoa, me Ngāti Whātua o Ōrākei, tēnākoutou
    To you the local iwi, I acknowledge your role as tangata whenua
    Ki Te Wai o Taiki kei waho nei, tēnā koe
    To the Tamaki estuary we see outside, I acknowledge you and your history, its strands and pathways, bringing us all here today
    Tēnā koutou ki a koutou katoa kua hui mai nei i tēnei rā, kei te mihi, kei te mihi, keite mihi
    To each and every one of you, welcome and thank you for your supportKi ngā kaumātua o te kāhui nei, ki a Chris kōrua ko Geoff, tēnā kōrua"

C'mon jeff - how many shareholders are fluent in Maori. How About a bit of Chinese or Indian for the "Diversity" Virtue Badge
    Last edited by minimoke; 19-09-2018 at 09:22 AM.

They must do a lot of Iwi business on both sides of the ledger eh minimoke.
    Pleased to see they are looking to wind back their exposure on big dairy relationship lending and concentrate on more profitable area's of the business.
    All looks good, didn't have time today to attend. Hope someone else asks them the hard question about concentration on EPS growth but overall I think they have a pretty good handle on where they going and I am happy with my XXXL holding...biggest I've ever had.
    Last edited by Beagle; 19-09-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Fvck me. Heres me not tuning into the AGM

"E ngā mana, e ngā reo, e ngā rau rangatira, tēnā koutou katoa
    Greetings to all of you, all voices, all authorities and leaders
    Ki ngā iwi o te whenua nei, ki a Ngāi Tai, Ngāti Paoa, me Ngāti Whātua o Ōrākei, tēnākoutou
    To you the local iwi, I acknowledge your role as tangata whenua
    Ki Te Wai o Taiki kei waho nei, tēnā koe
    To the Tamaki estuary we see outside, I acknowledge you and your history, its strands and pathways, bringing us all here today
    Tēnā koutou ki a koutou katoa kua hui mai nei i tēnei rā, kei te mihi, kei te mihi, keite mihi
    To each and every one of you, welcome and thank you for your supportKi ngā kaumātua o te kāhui nei, ki a Chris kōrua ko Geoff, tēnā kōrua"

C'mon jeff - how many shareholders are fluent in Maori. How About a bit of Chinese or Indian for the "Diversity" Virtue Badge
    More female leaders on the way Mini ...the mediocre men better start worrying

In terms of gender diversity, we are actively working to develop and attract females into senior leadership positions to promote diversity of thought. Our Strategic Management Group has been 50% female and 50% male for over a year now. The wider Senior Leadership Team is now 33% female and 67% male and we recognise there is more work to be done here. Initiatives are underway to ensure we have a strong pipeline of female talent in the business.