sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    You must have missed the diversity memo. Its all about difference from the norm and nothing about competence
    I think this is just your personal interpretation. No wonder it does not work for you ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I think this is just your personal interpretation. No wonder it does not work for you ;
    This may help you "The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. It is the exploration of these differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. It is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual.

Diversity is a reality created by individuals and groups from a broad spectrum of demographic and philosophical differences. It is extremely important to support and protect diversity because by valuing individuals and groups free from prejudice, and by fostering a climate where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic.
    "Diversity" means more than just acknowledging and/or tolerating difference. Diversity is a set of conscious practices that involve:

• Understanding and appreciating interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment.
    • Practicing mutual respect for qualities and experiences that are different from our own.
    • Understanding that diversity includes not only ways of being but also ways of knowing;
    • Recognizing that personal, cultural and institutionalized discrimination creates and sustains privileges for some while creating and sustaining disadvantages for others;
    • Building alliances across differences so that we can work together to eradicate all forms of discrimination.

Diversity includes, therefore, knowing how to relate to those qualities and conditions that are different from our own and outside the groups to which we belong, yet are present in other individuals and groups. These include but are not limited to age, ethnicity, class, gender, physical abilities/qualities, race, sexual orientation, as well as religious status, gender expression, educational background, geographical location, income, marital status, parental status, and work experiences. Finally, we acknowledge that categories of difference are not always fixed but also can be fluid, we respect individual rights to self-identification, and we recognize that no one culture is intrinsically superior to another."

And if you look through you wont see the word "competent" anywhere: http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/diversity/definition.html (its a pretty typical definition of Diversity nowadays)

This may help you "[FONT="]The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual [/FONT][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="]differences[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="]. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. It is the exploration of these [/FONT][FONT="]differences[/FONT][FONT="] in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. It is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual.

[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Diversity is a reality created by individuals and groups from a broad spectrum of demographic and philosophical differences. It is extremely important to support and protect diversity because by valuing individuals and groups free from prejudice, and by fostering a climate where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]"Diversity" means more than just acknowledging and/or tolerating difference. Diversity is a set of conscious practices that involve:[/FONT]

• Understanding and appreciating interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment.
    • Practicing mutual respect for qualities and experiences that are different from our own.
    • Understanding that diversity includes not only ways of being but also ways of knowing;
    • Recognizing that personal, cultural and institutionalized discrimination creates and sustains privileges for some while creating and sustaining disadvantages for others;
    • Building alliances across differences so that we can work together to eradicate all forms of discrimination.

Diversity includes, therefore, knowing how to relate to those qualities and conditions that are different from our own and outside the groups to which we belong, yet are present in other individuals and groups. These include but are not limited to age, ethnicity, class, gender, physical abilities/qualities, race, sexual orientation, as well as religious status, gender expression, educational background, geographical location, income, marital status, parental status, and work experiences. Finally, we acknowledge that categories of difference are not always fixed but also can be fluid, we respect individual rights to self-identification, and we recognize that no one culture is intrinsically superior to another."

And if you look through you wont see the word "competent" anywhere: http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/diversity/definition.html (its a pretty typical definition of Diversity nowadays)
    I can see why you emphasize the thinking of a cabbage.

Seriously - did anybody state that diversity is the ONLY requirement? So - why would there be a need for competence being part of the definition of diversity?

But anyway - that's all not really topical for this thread ...
    ----

Minimoke me old mate ....you seem to be the only one who brings up the subject of ‘competence’ whenever diversity is raised.

I’m sure Cherise is very competent and will serve Heartland well
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Seriously - did anybody state that diversity is the ONLY requirement? So - why would there be a need for competence being part of the definition of diversity?
    Because when you are hiring someone the gold standard is "Competence", anything less ought to be irrelevant (eg treasurer of some local charity if you are being appointed as a CFO)

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Minimoke me old mate ....you seem to be the only one who brings up the subject of ‘competence’ whenever diversity is raised.

I’m sure Cherise is very competent and will serve Heartland well
    She certainly does appear to be very competent and will add value as a CFO. So there is absolutely no need for you to bring the issue of "diversity" into the discussion as you did with your post at 12298

percy

CFO is a huge position to hold at HGH.
    Appears to me they have appointed a more than capable person.

Because when you are hiring someone the gold standard is "Competence"
    Absolutely - competence is a "must have", but it certainly is not the only criterion to select the best candidate. I'd rate as well soft skills, resilience, leadership, organisational skills and (depending on the role) the candidates contribution to team diversity ...

... anything less ought to be irrelevant (eg treasurer of some local charity if you are being appointed as a CFO)
    anything less, yes, but what if several candidates are "competent"? All other things being equal (or at least good enough) , improving team diversity could well be the icing on the cake?

But I am sure you knew that ...
    ----

Absolutely - competence is a "must have", but it certainly is not the only criterion to select the best candidate. I'd rate as well soft skills, resilience, leadership, organisational skills and (depending on the role) the candidates contribution to team diversity ...

anything less, yes, but what if several candidates are "competent"? All other things being equal (or at least good enough) , improving team diversity could well be the icing on the cake?

But I am sure you knew that ...
    Good thoughts BP

One good thing with Heartland is that ‘competent’ people at least get a go at those jobs — many / some organisations seem to exclude (ie don’t consider) some competent people (albeit in many cases not knowing they are doing so)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Well a great day for me with TRA and SKL each being up 3 cents today.
    But "at the end of the day" I am well down, with HGH falling 5 cents..............lol.
    I look forward to tomorrow.?