sharetrader
    Advanced Member

[QUOTE=justakiwi;784707]We are not saying we didn’t pay for our shares. We are saying, the effect of dollar cost averaging over time, reduces the average cost of our total purchase. Which, as you have already discovered, can sometimes result in a negative average price. So yeah, it can feel as though you get some free shares along the way.

We know what we mean don’t we Percy [/QUOTE
    This has me more than curious I'm guessing you have owned since inception and they owe you say 40c and over time you have collected more than 40c in dividends?

Huh?

I’ve read this twice and am still not entirely sure what you’re asking.

All I’m saying is that’s how dollar cost averaging works. Sometimes you pay more per share, sometimes you pay less. When you take the average you have paid over a specific period of time (or from first purchase if you want) you will have paid less per share than you would have, had you not spread your purchases. You already know this. You told us your average is a negative figure. Not sure why that bothers you - it’s a good thing! No doubt you have bought a hell of a lot of shares to achieve that but it shows that dollar cost averaging has worked a treat for you.

I’m really not understanding what your problem is.

[QUOTE=tim23;784711]
    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    We are not saying we didn’t pay for our shares. We are saying, the effect of dollar cost averaging over time, reduces the average cost of our total purchase. Which, as you have already discovered, can sometimes result in a negative average price. So yeah, it can feel as though you get some free shares along the way.

We know what we mean don’t we Percy [/QUOTE
    This has me more than curious I'm guessing you have owned since inception and they owe you say 40c and over time you have collected more than 40c in dividends?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    We are not saying we didn’t pay for our shares. We are saying, the effect of dollar cost averaging over time, reduces the average cost of our total purchase. Which, as you have already discovered, can sometimes result in a negative average price. So yeah, it can feel as though you get some free shares along the way.

We know what we mean don’t we Percy
    Off course we know what we mean.
    However. over the years I have been heavily criticized for harping on about my growing portfolio of FREE SHARES.
    As I have always pointed out I LOVE THEM...lol

Best example is having a share triple and selling half.
    Buy 100 shares at $1,sell 50 shares at $3.left with $50 and 50 "FREE SHARE'worth $150.................
    Think of a number of posters would call this BLISS.?
    Last edited by percy; 06-01-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Off course we know what we mean.
    However. over the years I have been heavily criticized for harping on about my growing portfolio of FREE SHARES.
    As I have always pointed out I LOVE THEM...lol

Best example is having a share triple and selling half.
    Buy 100 shares at $1,sell 50 shares at $3.left with $50 and 50 "FREE SHARE'worth $150.................
    Think of a number of posters would call this BLISS.?
    Ah so..I’ve been doing the SUMs wrong

In you example each share averages out at -$1 (negative) - I don’t keep the spare $50 as already have enough spare cash for the oysters and chips

Let’s say the share price goes to $5 and I buy another 10 - only then would I have FREE shares - 60 of them .....they become FREE because I spent some cash in buying another 10.

But Brain is right - only buy if you think it’s good value - so if $5 in this example is way overvalued one wouldn’t buy another 10 and 50 you have wouldn’t become FREE by buying another 10 - oh well buy a crayfish to go with the oysters and chips and forget about FREEing my 50 shares.

Never include divies in this averaging or FREE thing ...complicated enough without it
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Buying or selling shares should be based on whether or not you think the share is over valued or undervalued at the current price. Previous Losses or gains on a share should have nothing to do with that decision.
    Good grief.
    To think I have spent a life time trying to build up a portfolio of FREE shares.
    Bit long in the tooth to change my misplaced objectives now.
    ps Is buying based on overvalued/undervalued as much fun as collecting FREE Shares.?........................................lo l.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Good grief.
    To think I have spent a life time trying to build up a portfolio of FREE shares.
    Bit long in the tooth to change my misplaced objectives now.
    ps Is buying based on overvalued/undervalued as much fun as collecting FREE Shares.?........................................lo l.
    This is the holding I initially bought thanks in major part to analysis (with the caveat of DYOR) I read on this site! I don't have any what could be called free shares as between 2012- 2018 I have accumulated ten small parcels and sold none. Each purchase was at a higher price than the previous one. Sharesight calculates that my HBL/HGH holdings have performed 50% better than the annual performance of the NZX50. So I am happy with its performance to date. I had been tempted several times to sell my holding but I held through the gloom.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 06-01-2020 at 08:03 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    This is the holding I initially bought thanks in major part to analysis I read on this site! I don't have any what could be called free shares as between 2012- 2018 I have accumulated ten small parcels and sold none. Each purchase was at a higher price than the previous one. Sharesight calculates that my HBL/HGH holdings have performed 50% better than the annual performance of the NZX50. So I am happy with its performance to date. I had been tempted several times to sell my holding but in held through the gloom.
    I was very lucky a number of years ago to receive some sage advice from a very skilled investor:"Add to your winners,sell your losers."
    By adding to your HGH, at increasing prices,you have been doing the right thing.
    Take no notice of my FREE share nonsense,I am just having fun.[although if you did sell some HGH you too would end up with some FREE shares.lol]

Kia ora Percy
    Thank you for that. I have just checked in for the day and have been feeling quite confused and ignorant for the last few posts on this thread. I can't imagine selling anything right now, and I was really confused by your comments about seeking FREE SHARES as a lifetime investment strategy.

Standard mortgages in Australia change funders every 3.8 years

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Webster View Post
    Standard mortgages in Australia change funders every 3.8 years
    Welcome to the forum Peter. If you are in Australia and want to change from your Seniors Australia reverse mortgage, run by Heartland, after 3,8 years who do you change to?

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7