sharetrader
    On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Table in the accounts is headed.

"Deferred tax assets comprise...."

This is NOT difficult folks
    No mention of any deferred tax on reverse mortgages in that 'Deferred Tax Asset' list, but then again there is no mention of any loan asset class. So it could be that such deferred asset tax, if it exists, is classified in another way.

I think this is one of those questions for which the answer is obvious provided you already know what the answer is. I am prepared to accept Winner's opinion that the tax must be paid before the loan is repaid. Another cashflow headache for Jeff.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Tax to be paid at a later date would be a deferred tax liability.
    Said table lists assets and liabilities and tax on reverse mortgages is not there cos' they ain't any.

"...Moving onto the Cashflow statement, the actual cash paid was $25,895m. That is tax not paid in cash was $27.896m, - $25,895m = $2.001m. That difference is not the same as the deferred tax. So it looks like something complicated is going on..."

The amount of tax you actually paid in one financial year and the amount due for the same financial year are not the same thing.

The world's tax men are forever asking me for extra or admitting that they owe me (and some of those even pay it back).
    om mani peme hum

Banned

ANZ is paying dividend n saying it is profitable. So good chance HGh will pay dividend too

announcement today strikes me as a bit advertorial.
    I didnt get any sense of how much risk they are able to palm off to the govt which is surely what these schemes have to do otherwise bankers gonna be running a mile.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    announcement today strikes me as a bit advertorial.
    I didnt get any sense of how much risk they are able to palm off to the govt which is surely what these schemes have to do otherwise bankers gonna be running a mile.
    This is the bit I liked

"The changes will enable Heartland Bank, and other participating banks, to assist more new and existing qualifying business customers to repay or refinance up to 20% of their existing debt."

I think that means the government just bailed out 20% of Heartlands bad debt, to a level of 80%. Has to be positive for Heartland shareholders, if not taxpayers. Let's hope Jeff gets his staff on the blower, to get all that refinancing done!

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 21-08-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Let's hope Jeff gets his staff on the blower, to get all that refinancing done!

SNOOPY
    Could it be a bit of a balancing act between keeping them on higher paying legacy interest rates vs rewriting to today's new norm? Although maybe break/(re)establishment fees would ease the pain?
    Last edited by Cyclical; 21-08-2020 at 05:26 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Could it be a bit of a balancing act between keeping them on higher paying legacy interest rates vs rewriting to today's new norm? Although maybe break/(re)establishment fees would ease the pain?
    Could be Cyclical. But I would think at times like this, the return of the bank's capital would be more to the forefront of a bankers mind than the return on their capital!

SNOOPY

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-...ectid=12360453

Hey Snoopy. Do HGH still own part of this ?

I think this gives a valuable insight that some need to see of what happens when you loan money unsecured to muppetts.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-...ectid=12360453

Hey Snoopy. Do HGH still own part of this ?

I think this gives a valuable insight that some need to see of what happens when you loan money unsecured to muppetts.
    The companies office shows that Heartland Group Holdings Limited (6937955) owns 13.06% of Harmoney Corp Limited (5177041). Snoopy can confirm if these are the correct entities to consider and what the impact on Heartland's P&L would be. I'm not sure if a proportionate share of the loss would go into HGH's accounts ($2m) or the loss would revalue the value of the holding for some unknown impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    The companies office shows that Heartland Group Holdings Limited (6937955) owns 13.06% of Harmoney Corp Limited (5177041). Snoopy can confirm if these are the correct entities to consider and what the impact on Heartland's P&L would be. I'm not sure if a proportionate share of the loss would go into HGH's accounts ($2m) or the loss would revalue the value of the holding for some unknown impact.
    That Harmoney performance shouldn’t impact Heartland that much. Their shareholding in Harmoney is shown Somewhere in The books as an investment.

Heartlands main exposure is how much of the $220m odd lending they have put through ( not in) Harmoney is impaired ....could be heaps based on Harmoneys experience.

If interested Harmoney report
    https://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/...962D2A468D65A8
    Last edited by winner69; 28-08-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”