sharetrader
    Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    What was it that caused Heartland to get out of step a few years ago and become more highly prized than Aussie banks? Maybe that’s the secret that Jeff is looking for?
    At one stage HGH was hyped as a digital banking play.....Harmony etc. Maybe the PE Vals got ahead of themselves at that time??

Whatever, I wish holders well.

Guru

That’s how I see it as well leftie

Always been a pretend bank (for marketing purposes) and valuation comparisons to Aussie banks in particular not that meaningful....and suppose that’s how Jeff sees it now.

Interesting that things haven’t changed much in 6 years
    Certainly is not a pretend bank as far as I am concerned. The accounts and deposits I have with Heartland are every bit as bank-like as those I have with a big Australian!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Jeff made the comment at the AGM IIRC on a question a shareholder posed on customer service which was something to do with the Heartland no longer offering over the counter services at their branches (for example taking out cash) that might be expected from a bank. Heartland have outsourced their customer banking functions to Westpac as they feel they can better deploy their own capital resources elsewhere.

Have a look at this Wikipedia article on NZ bank account codes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ze...account_number

Note that Heartland shares the bank account prefix number with Westpac and it is 03 for both. This is because Heartland bank accounts are now Westpac bank accounts but under another label.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Certainly is not a pretend bank as far as I am concerned. The accounts and deposits I have with Heartland are every bit as bank-like as those I have with a big Australian!
    Sorry to burst your bubble on your Heartland bank accounts Bjauck. But I am afraid, despite the Heartland label on the front, your Heartland bank accounts are Westpac accounts. So you are actually 'all in' with the big Australian(s).

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

PE gap big in 2014 as Jeff pointed out. PE gap big now. Maybe that’s how it’s meant to be. Maybe it’s a big v small thing (like RYM v OCA)

What was it that caused Heartland to get out of step a few years ago and become more highly prized than Aussie banks? Maybe that’s the secret that Jeff is looking for?

Might repeat - and shareprice go to $2.14 - and then the beagle can close out another successful trade on Heartland

Be funny if Jeff puts an updated chart from 2014 up today.
    https://www.marketscreener.com/quote...44/financials/

Average analyst forecast for FY21 is $76m. Company's own forecast at mid point is $84m so it would appear the investment community are skeptical that HGH have provisioned sufficiently for Covid.
    That said there's a nice growth path forecast with 13, 14 and 15 cps forecast for the next 3 years.
    BUT - just for a laugh, lets pretend HGH isn't ever going to grow in the future, (I know that's completely silly but hang in there for a minute longer), and take the company's own forecast of 14.4 cps and apply a fair PE for the ultra low interest rate environment of 12 and we get a pretend fair value with no further growth ever of $1.73

HGH's PE has ranged between 11 - 17.5 in recent years. If others can't see the current opportunity, trust me I am not concerned as this for me is rated BBB - Beagle Busy Buying

For you Left Field https://www.statology.org/what-is-a-strong-correlation/
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-11-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

We can't lose - it's fantastic Jeff and beagle are on the same page ...and they both use same methodology ...better still

Wonder what Jarden come up with ...could be the old sum of the parts are worth more than the whole.

Guru

if its BBB+ the market is pricing in one grade above junk at the moment.....

this sets up the ultimate the money or the bag....

or the Market versus the Beagle...
    Last edited by Waltzing; 30-11-2020 at 11:02 AM.

We can't lose - it's fantastic Jeff and beagle are on the same page ...and they both use same methodology ...better still

Wonder what Jarden come up with ...could be the old sum of the parts are worth more than the whole.
    What a surprise that would be
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Yeah and another curious thing.Traders upramp , sprook, spin positive as they SELL and vice versa.Investors quietly fill their positions(for obvious reasons) then share their reasons why after. Then again beagle is no ordinary mutt.

HGH are starting to get into the benefits of Beagles with one on their home page https://www.heartland.co.nz/ but I reckon they need a younger keener looking one, maybe Snoopy could volunteer as I am starting to go grey and am too fat with profits and previous feeding
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-11-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble on your Heartland bank accounts Bjauck. But I am afraid, despite the Heartland label on the front, your Heartland bank accounts are Westpac accounts. So you are actually 'all in' with the big Australian(s).

SNOOPY
    Heartland has a separate licence. What is the extent of their agreement? For example if Westpac were to be in difficulties and the OBR were instigated, would accounts at Heartland be affected too? Would the $100 cash I may have deposited at a Westpac branch, acting as agent for Heartland, for the credit my Heartland account, be frozen or included in the Administration of Westpac?

Does Heartland have to offer the same terms, conditions and interest rates as Westpac?

If It is just a matter of needing to go to a bricks and mortar Westpac branch to make cash and cheque deposits and cash withdrawals, then it would just be to use Westpac as an agent. It would not mean Heartland accounts are re-labelled Westpac accounts.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 30-11-2020 at 01:30 PM.