sharetrader
Page 144 of 1740 FirstFirst ... 44941341401411421431441451461471481541942446441144 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 17398
    Guru

While they aren't a bank in the traditional sense (ie home loans), the cost of funds is one of the great benefits they get from being a registered bank.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    While they aren't a bank in the traditional sense (ie home loans), the cost of funds is one of the great benefits they get from being a registered bank.
    Not something that Snoopy would ever recognize?

Too concerned with why the numbers show that HNZ should not be granted a bank license.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Plus they get Reserve Bank Supervision. Government is not happy at the thought of another South Canty Finance bale-out.
    The $105 million debt. Obviously this is long term debt, which is used to balance the shorter term retail deposits of a couple of years. I expect the $100 million to be rolled over. What about giving the shareholders an option to invest in some of the $100 million?

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by QOH View Post
    Aren't they going to have to come up with $105 million to pay back the MARAC 010 bonds this July?
    Have no idea if that is a positive or negative for the company, they are paying 10.5% interest rate.
    Have been reading all recent posts. QQH has made a very valid point here, a point I had somewhat underestimated (maybe just my oversight). This is one of my more substantial holdings and I am happy with it, but this debt QQH talks about should be repaid in full before any dividends are paid. I like dividends but only if the funds can not be put to better use by the Co. They also need to be made from sustainable profits/cashflow.
    I would like HNZ to be conservative and honest. That's the reason I have invested quite heavily in HNZ. Keep it up HNZ but please NO surprises.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Have been reading all recent posts. QQH has made a very valid point here, a point I had somewhat underestimated (maybe just my oversight). This is one of my more substantial holdings and I am happy with it, but this debt QQH talks about should be repaid in full before any dividends are paid. I like dividends but only if the funds can not be put to better use by the Co. They also need to be made from sustainable profits/cashflow.
    I would like HNZ to be conservative and honest. That's the reason I have invested quite heavily in HNZ. Keep it up HNZ but please NO surprises.
    Lets just wait and see what they replace it with. If it is substantially lower than 10.5%, then no problems with them continuing to pay dividends.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    They are a form of borrowing.They were taken out when things were not going to well,so they had to pay big interest.
    As CJ posted lets just wait and see what/how they replace it.There was talk on Chris Lee site that HNZ would come to the market for another bond issue.
    So over the next few weeks we can look forward to news on Marac bonds and more importantly the non-core property holding.
    I expect both announcements will be very positive for shareholders.
    Remember HNZ are now paying between 3 and 5% for deposits.Sparky covered this in his post No.1756 at the top of this page.
    Last edited by percy; 16-05-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Guru

Infratil just got some bonds away at 6.85%. Heartland should be able to do cheaper than this.

Govt going to set up micobanks, great idea even though lending to the needy intuitively doesn't make sense. However there is a market and loan sharks and microbanks in other counties have low default rates. There must be a need

I reckon hnz and coop should lead the way. Put aside 1% of assets into mico lending, small loans minimal interest

Some really good social stuff for a nz bank ....make shareholders warm and fuzzy in doing good work.

Altruism in action I reckon, banks have a social responsibility too

I email jeff today and the coop guy as well with that idea

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Govt going to set up micobanks, great idea even though lending to the needy intuitively doesn't make sense. However there is a market and loan sharks and microbanks in other counties have low default rates. There must be a need

I reckon hnz and coop should lead the way. Put aside 1% of assets into mico lending, small loans minimal interest

Some really good social stuff for a nz bank ....make shareholders warm and fuzzy in doing good work.

Altruism in action I reckon, banks have a social responsibility too
    Yes it would be pleasing to see Coop and Heartland help in this area.
    An article I read sometime ago confirmed what you said about low defaults,but what was the big surprise [ to me] was the results achieved with size of loans being rather small.