sharetrader
Page 1692 of 1740 FirstFirst ... 69211921592164216821688168916901691169216931694169516961702 ... LastLast
Results 16,911 to 16,920 of 17397
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about telling people you were given a mortgage free home. They think the same if you’re mortgage free whether you earned it yourself or not in my experience.

Yeah but them thinking the same vs you telling them is pretty different.

I would worry about it massively.

Standing on my own two feet is at the core of my being.

People who know you should be able to figure out if you are a gun that earned it yourself vs given it. Super obvious.

Investments

I will reluctantly agree with SR ...making children capable of building their own world has much greater meaning then being provided the most important dream of anyone on earth ...own home ....the joy and the confidence which comes from achieving it yourself far exceeds the security and happiness of getting it on a platter . But then when parents look after children in fact they are actually looking after themselves in a way ...it makes them feel more satisfied and accomplished then maybe the other way round . But agree with Percy's thoughts about getting inheritance at the right time ...so whats more important ...I think children's sense of accomplishment and self achievement thus confidence in themselves will do them more good in times to come when we are long gone ...it will prepare them better to be in a world on their own ...which eventually happens for all .

I do have a story to tell and have tried to follow what I wrote above ...luckily it has worked out very well ...so far but hopefully for ever ...though I did change the canvas for them by immigrating to a more easier society with much better reward to hard work/ focus ratio .

But I am only sure of one thing ...love and caring flows naturally from parents to children ...thats nature !
    Last edited by alokdhir; 24-12-2023 at 09:17 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    the most important dream of anyone on earth ...own home ....the joy and the confidence which comes from achieving it
    Not anyone on Earth... Not me. Almost as bad as owning a Yacht just a bloody nightmare.

I'll take the money.

But yes as for the rest, it's obvious.

Handing to them on platter could totally destroy them, hard to have self respect when Daddy handed it to you and once you have been given it there is no going back. You will never know if you could have made it on your own.
    Last edited by SailorRob; 24-12-2023 at 09:24 AM.

One thing with Percy’s kids when they get old like him they’ll be able to take out a reverse mortgage with Heartland to say buy a new car and travel around the world …… Percy looking after them forever
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    It's very difficult to find a good fund manager, the better advice would be to buy a low cost index fund. That way you'll beat almost all fund managers.

Also, if you find a 'good' fund manager, likely they wont be good in the future. Often the best returns over the last 10 years mean the next 10 are poor.

Well done on the Pearl company, but is this investing or speculation? This is the reason for the difference in outlook. They are two very different things.

This is not just speculation, it's speculation in Australian microcaps. A notorious place where few emerge intact.
    Atlas Pearls has its own thread on ASX here on Sharetrader.
    I think the thread is easy to follow.
    Research is the difference between speculation and sound investing.
    Last edited by percy; 24-12-2023 at 09:35 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post

Percy, you are old enough and wise enough to know the difference.

A microcap ASX company that goes up 500% in a year is clearly a speculation and well done to you.

Ben Graham clearly defined the difference and it has stood the test of time.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    Percy, you are old enough and wise enough to know the difference.

A microcap ASX company that goes up 500% in a year is clearly a speculation and well done to you.

Ben Graham clearly defined the difference and it has stood the test of time.
    ATP and 2CC had a number of things in common.
    Strong balance sheets with no debt,but most importantly massive cash flows from operations.
    Both were in the right sectors at the right time,yet the market had over looked them.
    Last edited by percy; 24-12-2023 at 09:49 AM.

You could research bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies for thousands of hours and the purchase of it will always be speculation. Research is not the difference between speculation and sound investing.

Banned

ATP and 2CC had a number of things in common.
    Strong balance sheets with no debt,but most importantly massive cash flows from operations.
    Both were in the right sectors at the right time,yet the market had over looked them.
    Fair enough yep, similar to what I'm looking for, cash flow from operations as you know are very different to earnings however. Capex and IFRS lease rules can cloud the waters.

I will have a look, sounds interesting. Thanks for the information.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by ValueNZ View Post
    You could research bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies for thousands of hours and the purchase of it will always be speculation. Research is not the difference between speculation and sound investing.
    It is for me.
    The more research I do the better the results I achieve.
    I do not invest outside the share market.
    My investment principles are based on the book by Jim Slater "The Zulu Principle".
    Simply put, earning per share growing at a higher rate than their current PE ratio. PEG ratio.
    Smaller NZ and Aussie companies are where you find the gems.