sharetrader
Page 1703 of 1740 FirstFirst ... 70312031603165316931699170017011702170317041705170617071713 ... LastLast
Results 17,021 to 17,030 of 17397

challenger says today that sale of bank to heartland might settle second half of yr24 and heartland is covering the losses on it now.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    challenger says today that sale of bank to heartland might settle second half of yr24 and heartland is covering the losses on it now.
    How many millions will Heartland cover ….quite a few I reckon
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    thanks for heads-up. By 2h 24, that's Challenger's 2024 financial year - so 2h means anytime up till 30 June 2024.
    https://cdn-api.markitdigital.com/ap...1774-2A1504473

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    How many millions will Heartland cover ….quite a few I reckon
    be about A$3.5m if heartland's december update was anything to go by.

https://www.interest.co.nz/bonds/126...op-expectation

Here we go....ANZ economist is full of sheet

Do we know how much Heartland is paying for Challenger Bank?
    From what I read today we are taking over the losses which Challenger Bank make.
    Although the overall Challenge Group seem to make healthy profits and Challenger group seem to do a lot of things similar to Heartland. i.e. provide retirement finances.

So why do we think we can turn this bank into a profitmaking business when Challenger group cant make this bank make a profit?

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by rabcat View Post
    From what I read today we are taking over the losses which Challenger Bank make.
    Although the overall Challenge Group seem to make healthy profits and Challenger group seem to do a lot of things similar to Heartland. i.e. provide retirement finances.

So why do we think we can turn this bank into a profitmaking business when Challenger group cant make this bank make a profit?
    The reason is 'we' (being the Heartland shareholders) are already making a good income stream in Australia from our Reverse Mortgage customer base and Stockco customer base. The Challenger Bank acquisition is transition the relatively high cost existing wholesale funding into lower cost retail funding. The end line borrowing customers are already there. The Challenger Bank acquisition is ultimately an exercise in trimming the funding cost base.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by rabcat View Post

Heartland is but another of the many NZ companies which think they can duplicate their successes in NZ and venture into Australia.

Let’s see :

Telecom
    The Warehouse
    Air NZ
    FBU
    Tower
    Pumpkin Patch
    Restaurant Brands
    Zintel
    BNZ
    NZI

There are others but enough to know the companies above went over and got their backside kicked all the way back into NZ.

Why do they do it? Ego and naivety.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Heartland is but another of the many NZ companies which think they can duplicate their successes in NZ and venture into Australia.

Let’s see :

Telecom
    The Warehouse
    Air NZ
    FBU
    Tower
    Pumpkin Patch
    Restaurant Brands
    Zintel
    BNZ
    NZI

There are others but enough to know the companies above went over and got their backside kicked all the way back into NZ.

It's fair to observe a number of Kiwi's have cocked up in Australia, and to pin that on naivety and ego as a root cause.

But likewise good to celebrate the successes too.

Smartpay
    Hallenstein Glassons
    EBOS
    Mainfreight
    Vulcan Steel
    And I'd even chuck in Michael Hill and KMD - even though they are stuck in the macro rut - with +50% sales in Australia now they would be weaker if not for their trans-tasman expansion. These are just currently listed companies - can't be bothered to think of those that have been taken over.

To get it right you need to have some form of competitive advantage. You can't just waltz into Australia with a vanilla offering in a competitive market and think you'll get a look in. Likewise you can't make it a success if you run it from New Zealand, install a handful of Kiwi's as local GM's, and think of it as just another business centre akin to the Waikato. Need to play by Aussie rules and give it a lot of focus, time and effort.

Heartland's Australian RM business is a success. I obviously have my view on the price paid for StockCo and some concerns on the Challenger price, but will be some time before the pieces of the puzzle are in place before we know if it'll be a success, or not.

Probably does require a bit of Ego to establish a NZ bank in Australia, just as it did to amalgamate a plethora of building societies and consumer books into HBL in 2012. An ego isn't necessarily a problem, if it can be kept in check.
    Last edited by Muse; 13-02-2024 at 10:14 PM.

ASB profit drops 12%, loan margins squeezed

• ASB has reported a drop in profit of 12%.
    • It said that was in part because its net interest margin, what it makes on lending, dropped 26 basis points.
    • Total lending was down 1%

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/350...rgins-squeezed
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post

Let’s see :

Telecom
    The Warehouse
    Air NZ
    FBU
    Tower
    Pumpkin Patch
    Restaurant Brands
    Zintel
    BNZ
    NZI

Air NZ learnt the hard way that running a domestic monopoly in NZ was not the same as competing head on with Quantas in Australia.