sharetrader
Page 2 of 1722 FirstFirst 12345612521025021002 ... LastLast

Heartland New Zealand to acquire PGG Wrightson Finance

http://www.nzx.com/markets/NZSX/HNZ/...ghtson-Finance

Quote Originally Posted by MANDRAKE View Post
    Heartland New Zealand to acquire PGG Wrightson Finance

http://www.nzx.com/markets/NZSX/HNZ/...ghtson-Finance
    put a few words of your point of view.

Well it wasn't exactly a surprise Seems a fairly conventional arrangement I guess. Good to see an assurance there will be no EPS dilution resulting frm the placement. I wonder how much in excess of 10% the ROE will eventually be? I'm not that confident it will be much, but would like to hear others opinions on that.

Quote Originally Posted by MANDRAKE View Post
    Well it wasn't exactly a surprise Seems a fairly conventional arrangement I guess. Good to see an assurance there will be no EPS dilution resulting frm the placement. I wonder how much in excess of 10% the ROE will eventually be? I'm not that confident it will be much, but would like to hear others opinions on that.
    What is the equity now or would be in 2 years time? HNZ shares were issued at 88 cents, and new shares will be at 75 cents. When equity drops to 30 cent/share a ROE of 10% is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    20 mill / 300 shares @ PER 10 = 66 cents per share. (Ozzy banks PERs betwenn 9 and 15)
    After private placement and SPP, the issued shares will be more than 300 mil.
    Last edited by Master98; 14-06-2011 at 11:34 AM.

I am waiting for the announcement of SPP, so i just need to spend $30+ for the engagement of SPP

percy

The article by Tim Hunter in today's Sunday Star Times on Heartland is well balanced and fair.
    "And while there are undoubted risks that Heartland will not achieve its goals,its management have so far demonstrated a clear strategy and excellent execution.
    On those grounds it may earn a place in the portfolio."

Yes Percy a well balanced article but I hope Hunter wasn't swayed by what Cairns from Forbar told him .... that guy is more passionate about PGC/HNZ than you are

As long as HNZ remember that at the core of their business is 2 old fashioned Building Societies they should do OK - building societies that traditionally solid instutions which for generations have taken members savings in and prudently lent that money out on rock solid investments without taking on much leverage and associated risk.

Go too far away from this principles and think they can make zillions from a different approach then maybe the aspirations wont be achieved

Bit of a worry when that head finance man says 'Heartland aims to encourage depositors by becoming a bank, reasoning that people are more relaxed about putting money in a bank than with a finance company' So is becoming a bank just one big (and expensive) marketing ploy

This is what happens when Building Societies become financial instutions with a treasury department and change their business model .... and probably why the world is in such a mess today

A great article by John Kay in the Financial Times - We let down diligent folk at the Halifax
    http://www.johnkay.com/2008/09/24/we...at-the-halifax

Even if you don't read the whole article (it is a short one) read this bit

The business I joined gathered deposits from small savers, mostly through its branches. It lent the proceeds to house buyers. Founded as a self-help organisation by provident Yorkshire folk 150 years ago, the Halifax became the world’s largest mortgage lender. Its quality of service and competitive interest rates trounced conventional banks in the UK retail savings market. The simple business model was very robust. In the early 1990s, a combination of high interest rates, recession and falling house prices posed much more serious problems for UK homeowners than anything seen, or likely, in the current credit crunch. But the Halifax remained profitable and mortgages readily available

Accepting deposits and underwriting and administering mortgages requires that millions of records should be maintained and updated every day with almost no errors. This activity does not require flair or imagination but does require conscientious individuals with integrity and loyalty. The Halifax was a precision machine that made the most of the talents of ordinary people. I came to understand the fundamental incompatibility of the cultures of retail and investment banking and why the marriage of the two so often leads to tears.

Accepting deposits and underwriting and administering mortgages requires that millions of records should be maintained and updated every day with almost no errors. This activity does not require flair or imagination but does require conscientious individuals with integrity and loyalty. The Halifax was a precision machine that made the most of the talents of ordinary people. I came to understand the fundamental incompatibility of the cultures of retail and investment banking and why the marriage of the two so often leads to tears.

(Really a story about business sustainability but thats another topic)

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Yes Percy a well balanced article but I hope Hunter wasn't swayed by what Cairns from Forbar told him .... that guy is more passionate about PGC/HNZ than you are

As long as HNZ remember that at the core of their business is 2 old fashioned Building Societies they should do OK - building societies that traditionally solid instutions which for generations have taken members savings in and prudently lent that money out on rock solid investments without taking on much leverage and associated risk.

Go too far away from this principles and think they can make zillions from a different approach then maybe the aspirations wont be achieved

Bit of a worry when that head finance man says 'Heartland aims to encourage depositors by becoming a bank, reasoning that people are more relaxed about putting money in a bank than with a finance company' So is becoming a bank just one big (and expensive) marketing ploy
    Marac was a very successful finance company for a good number of years ,before it got involved in property lending,which was its undoing.Made and still makes good money on business,motor vehicle, and plant lending.