sharetrader
Page 239 of 1721 FirstFirst ... 1391892292352362372382392402412422432492893397391239 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 17210
    Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Default Yes and No

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    Do the banks still carry a 1 or 2% impairment assumption across their books? this used to be common practise, just for conservatism

others used inventories to do the same thing - its called profit smoothing....not sure if it still goes on

Percy, I'm getting there - have an online high interest bizo account with them now.
    It is a a bit more complicated these days, but a lot of loans are stuffed into broad categories and a percentage impairment is applied, the percentage varies by risk category.
    Other loans are treated individually and a unique percentage applied for that loan.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

Disc: I have no account with HNZ, beaten by the Anti-Money Laundering requirements .
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    Disc: I have no account with HNZ, beaten by the Anti-Money Laundering requirements .
    They're a nightmare aren't they. I'm trying to change to a Direct Broking account and along with a list detailing the colour of every pair of underwear I own, audited by a big four and certified by a lawyer, the want to hold my first born child as security.

Advanced Member

I am SO pleased
    Hey, do I ever have some good used shares for you then ...! Thanks. The Westpac business loan portfolio of 22b does nevertheless show that Heartland hasn't entirely got it's business market to itself. Does show it's a good place to be though.

PT, thanks for the comment re provision - I thought there were usually some nuts squirrelled away for a cold winter - Snoopdog, please take note!

Percy, thanks for the kind offer, but will have to pass on the drink - I shall endeavour to get along to one or two in 2014 if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    They're a nightmare aren't they. I'm trying to change to a Direct Broking account and along with a list detailing the colour of every pair of underwear I own, audited by a big four and certified by a lawyer, they want to hold my first born child as security.
    Could be a good security to invest in

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vorno View Post
    Could be a good security to invest in
    yip. I'll pay for his uni (in 15years) but expect him to pay for my retirement.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Cheer up PT, you're not alone.

I tried with another bank, but the pain was such that the money went to Luxembourg and Australia instead. Both of which have the added advantage of running deposit insurance/protection/guarantee schemes - unlike the New Zealand compulsory short back'n'sides regime.

New Zealand's amateur-hour compliance culture is truly a wonder to behold.
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 27-11-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling

OK, not sure whether to post this here or in the SUM thread. I've got a very modest sum to invest in something less speculative than the rest of my portfolio. The two I'm considering are HNZ and SUM but finding it difficult to make a decision. According to posters here, both may be undervalued and by all accounts should hit their strides over the next 2 years. I expect to hold for at least 3 years, and am looking for solid growth and average dividends.

Would really appreciate any insights or advice from more seasoned investors to help me make a decision. Thx

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Exclamation Your call and your call only

Quote Originally Posted by Longhaul View Post
    OK, not sure whether to post this here or in the SUM thread. I've got a very modest sum to invest in something less speculative than the rest of my portfolio. The two I'm considering are HNZ and SUM but finding it difficult to make a decision. According to posters here, both may be undervalued and by all accounts should hit their strides over the next 2 years. I expect to hold for at least 3 years, and am looking for solid growth and average dividends.

Would really appreciate any insights or advice from more seasoned investors to help me make a decision. Thx
    Options:
    1) Buy both.
    2) If you do not have enough funds for both, sell some speccy stuff and buy both.
    3) If not 1) or 2) toss a coin, if you like the answer go with it, if not do the opposite.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

Disc: in either or situations I actually do 3) and see how I feel about the 'answer'.
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 27-11-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling atrocious
    om mani peme hum

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Longhaul View Post

Both are very fine companies with excellent growth prospects .
    I hold both.
    You may have to go with Paper Tiger's 3rd option.
    Last edited by percy; 27-11-2013 at 07:00 PM.