sharetrader
Page 279 of 1721 FirstFirst ... 1792292692752762772782792802812822832893293797791279 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 17210
    Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs up Better Heartland than other banks

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Once again there is no mention of Tier 1 or Tier 2 in the Heartland HY2013 report.

The 'best case' scenario is that all loans are Tier 1. $2,097.553m of loans are outstanding. 20% of that figure is:

0.2 x $2,076.968m = $415.4m

Heartland has total equity of $382.5m which is still below the 20% of loan target no matter what the tier classification of the loans.

Result: FAIL TEST

PS I do note that while other posters have protested at my 20% of equity to back up the loan measuring stick in the past, it is not too far away from the 17% which by implication is judged acceptable by management under the watchful eye of Reserve Bank chairman Graeme Wheeler. The reserve bank further qualifies their views that a company of Heartlands credit rating still has a 1 in 30 chance of going broke in any year. I prefer to think in business cycles and 30 years will contain around five of those. So you could restate the Reserve Bank's view as saying that HNZ has a one in five chance of going broke at the bottom of the business cycle. For me that investment risk is too high. So I am sticking to my 20% equity requirement, even if the Reserve Bank will settle for less.
    So let us apply this metric of yours to a couple of other financial institutions:
    The Heartland figures of $2,076.968 are Liabilities: Borrowings and the $382.5 is total equity (including intangibles )

ANZ: (Dec-13 Disclosure Statement)
    Interest and discount bearing liabilities: $93,757M
    Required equity for 20% ratio: $18,751M
    Total equity: $11,832M, Ratio only: 12.6%

Westpac: (Dec-13 Disclosure Staement)
    Interest and discount bearing liabilities: $61,261M
    Required equity for 20% ratio: $12,252M
    Total equity: $6,439M, Ratio only: 10.5%

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

percy

As well as the better equity ratio, Heartland shareholders get to enjoy imputated divies.

IMO

Hi percy seems your pearly whites are gleaming. Im looking ahead and i can see a sideways movement in the s/p for a while. Be great if Heartland can refresh the reverse annuity model so the oldies see it as a viable option in future. Always are surprises but my shallow gaze doesn't see many other catalysts on the immediate horizon but steady as she goes. cheers JT

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Jeff was on the radio yesterday and said the NZ economy isn't as strong as most make out ...good in pockets but not that good in other areas...
    Yeah there have been unheard hints of another collapse but as to when is difficult to measure. We're currently sitting (overall) at a very high & strong level as I understand it, so it only makes sense that this "hype" will correct itself at some stage.

...Probably 5-10 years away according to an article I read a while back, however they admitted that it could be a lot longer!

Opinions?
    Last edited by vorno; 27-02-2014 at 12:34 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    So let us apply this metric of yours to a couple of other financial institutions:
    The Heartland figures of $2,076.968 are Liabilities: Borrowings and the $382.5 is total equity (including intangibles )

ANZ: (Dec-13 Disclosure Statement)
    Interest and discount bearing liabilities: $93,757M
    Required equity for 20% ratio: $18,751M
    Total equity: $11,832M, Ratio only: 12.6%

Westpac: (Dec-13 Disclosure Staement)
    Interest and discount bearing liabilities: $61,261M
    Required equity for 20% ratio: $12,252M
    Total equity: $6,439M, Ratio only: 10.5%

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Fair call PT, but not quite a fair comparison. Both ANZ NZ and WBC NZ have different credit ratings to HNZ. And although all three banks have NZ banking licences as approved by the NZ Reserve Bank, the terms of those licences are not equal. Heartland's terms are a bit more - er- restrictive.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    As well as the better equity ratio, Heartland shareholders get to enjoy imputated divies.
    Actually ANZ (Oz) and WBC (Oz) now partially impute their dividends too for NZ share holders. However, they are not 100% imputed dividends which of course Heartland does have.

SNOOPY

percy

Just so much nicer having a fully imputed divie.!!! lol.

Default Fair's fair

Fair call PT, but not quite a fair comparison. Both ANZ NZ and WBC NZ have different credit ratings to HNZ. And although all three banks have NZ banking licences as approved by the NZ Reserve Bank, the terms of those licences are not equal. Heartland's terms are a bit more - er- restrictive.

SNOOPY
    So what would be a fair comparison then?
    What thresholds should apply to ANZ(NZ) and Westpac(NZ), and what authority is the source of these thresholds?

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    So what would be a fair comparison then?
    What thresholds should apply to ANZ(NZ) and Westpac(NZ), and what authority is the source of these thresholds?

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    I would take the ratios you have calculated. But instead of comparing them with each other, for each one measure the 'headroom' between the actual figure and the minimum figure that the Reserve Bank of NZ requires for each specific bank under examination.

SNOOPY

Thumbs up And so to prove that you can prove what you want by using the wrong numbers

I would take the ratios you have calculated. But instead of comparing them with each other, for each one measure the 'headroom' between the actual figure and the minimum figure that the Reserve Bank of NZ requires for each specific bank under examination.

SNOOPY
    So here we go:
    Tier1&2 a la Snoopy % RBNZ Requirement % Buffer %
    ANZ 12.6 8 4.6
    WBC 10.5 8 2.5
    HNZ 18.4 12 6.4

It would seem that HNZ still wins hands down. I have just followed the calculation method and instructions of Snoopy.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum