sharetrader
Page 345 of 1736 FirstFirst ... 2452953353413423433443453463473483493553954458451345 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 17360
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Apologies for being lazy, anyone know off the top of their head when it goes ex divvy, (this divvy hound always keen on the next feed)
    Ex Sept 17th Mr Hound

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Ex Sept 17th Mr Hound
    Thanks mate, so there's plenty of time to buy more and order from the upsized menu

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=percy;501887]
    Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    No. She's worried her grand children won't be able to afford houses, schooling and healthcare in NZ

She is not alone !
    Also a major concern is jobs for school leavers.
    A major concern for all First World Countries Perc..

Peasants will continue quite happily in their life style.. Earning very little, paying no Taxes :-)))

Who is going to pay the welfare for the 45% of the educated people, who are going to be replaced by Automation and Robots ???

Possibly with in the next 5 to 10 years.. :-))))
    Last edited by janner; 01-09-2014 at 06:43 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by luigi View Post
    What if you were to simply have bought the HER loan portfolio and not the 'operating business'?
    Heartland did by the loan portfolio for $61m and then paid a premium of $25m because all the guys and gals that who were running the services of the HER portfolio day to day were doing such a good job. Short of telling those guys and gals to sit at their desks and do nothing after the purchase, I am not sure it is possible to not buy the operating business in with the package.

The $25m goodwill represents the value HNZ attributes to the future profits from writing new HER business using branding/market position/institutional know-how that they have acquired.
    Yes. But how could Heartland have bought only this?

Sentinal: "Ms Jeeves, cancel all my calls for the rest of the rest of the day. I especially don't want to hear from that rambunctious kiwi Heartland who keeps calling me up."
    Jeeves: "Sorry boss, Heartland is on the line right now, am putting him through.
    Heartland: "Hi Sentinal. Heartland here. This portfolio you are looking at quitting for $86m? Well I've decided I don't want to pay that. You can keep it. I do like your staff and all though. I am prepared to pay $25m for their services. But you can keep your loan portfolio. I realise this will leave you in the lurch, with no-one to look after your business interests. But being an Ozzie I am sure you will bounce back. Once I have your staff I will be using their inside knowledge to pinch all your business anyway. So your portfolio problems will only be short term. What do you say!"
    Sentinal "Deal" (or just perhaps Sentinal would not have said that).

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 01-09-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Snoopy - you got it, yes $25m for a leading HER business. The platform for growth now they have the people, processes, market knowledge and all that stuff,

So is $25m cheap or not in your view?
    Sir John Anderson, former boss of ANZ NZ, who as Percy keeps reminding us is NZs greatest banker, would say Heartland paid $25m too much! Post financial crisis all these second tier finance operations are only worth net asset backing, according to his accumulated wisdom.

SNOOPY

So Snoopy .....you think they paid over the top for this 'business'. ....like wasted shareholder money?

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    So Snoopy .....you think they paid over the top for this 'business'. ....like wasted shareholder money?
    Don't know Winner. I haven't had too much experience in valuing HER businesses.

SNOOPY

[QUOTE=janner;501902]
    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post

Who is going to pay the welfare for the 45% of the educated people, who are going to be replaced by Automation and Robots ???

Possibly with in the next 5 to 10 years.. :-))))
    Funny that - I remember that we discussed exactly this problem in high school (must have been in the early 70'ies). Funny thing is: We are now in 2014 and people still work 40 hour weeks (and many a bit more) and people still pay taxes. Trust me, won't be different in 5, 10 or 20 years from now. Maybe different jobs, but somebody else will ask the same question, then.

[QUOTE=BlackPeter;501936]
    Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post

Funny that - I remember that we discussed exactly this problem in high school (must have been in the early 70'ies). Funny thing is: We are now in 2014 and people still work 40 hour weeks (and many a bit more) and people still pay taxes. Trust me, won't be different in 5, 10 or 20 years from now. Maybe different jobs, but somebody else will ask the same question, then.

Hmmm yes that's easy to say, but the automation coming our way will have even larger implications than what we've seen in the past. For example, there are up to 70 million people employed around the world to drive various cars, trucks, vans, trains etc. However, driverless technology is already here and could have a massive impact on those jobs. Why pay a driver when a computer can drive a truck far more safely and efficiently right around the clock?

Definitely some big change coming, who knows how to prepare for it though :/

Chris Lee's take on Heartland, (emphasis added in bold by myself)

Heartland NZ - Heartland NZ Ltd (HNZ) has released its financial result for the Full Year ended 30 June 2014 and continues to deliver on the milestones it has set itself since origination in 2008, a performance that warrants the compliments received.

Key Financials included: (Full year to 30 June 2013 in brackets)

- Net operating income $122.2m ($107.3m)
    - Operating expenses $64.7m ($70.3m)
    - Impairment expense and revaluation $7.1m ($27.6m)
    - Net profit before tax $50.8m ($9.4m)
    - Net profit after tax $36.0m ($6.9m)

Note: NPAT for 2013 included a one-off pre-tax expense of $24.3m incurred as a result of the change in strategy with respect to the impaired non-core property assets. When adjusted for this one-off charge NPAT for the 2014 year was up $11.6m or 48% on the previous year.

HNZ’s balance sheet now exceeds $3 billion, up almost $500 million largely as a result of the purchase of the Home Equity Release business during the past year. The good news is that HNZ forecasts higher profits in the year ahead partly through lending growth but also through further reductions to the expense ratio of the bank.

Net interest margin is HNZ’s main source of profit and it represents the margin between what the bank charges its borrowers and what it pays its investors. Like NZ’s major trading banks HNZ has managed to steadily increase its net interest margin over recent years, growing the margin from 3.62% in 2012 to 4.11% in 2013 to 4.44% in 2014. The wider margins (mainstream banks are about 2.40%) reflects HNZ’s strategy of targeting wider margin lending opportunities and not targeting home mortgage lending which is the mainstay of the larger banks.
    HNZ shareholders, who were patient in the initial years when the bank was established, are now no doubt very happy with the dividends being received (6 cents per share plus imputation credits for 2014) and forecast by us given the likely 2015 profit and dividend policy (7 cents per share plus imputation credits). Very few investments are offering the prospect of rising income at present so it is nice to be discussing one where this outcome is likely.

HNZ enjoys very high reinvestment rates, and growth from new depositors, which in our view is a reflection of the service provided by the bank to each depositors; something that investors often tell us is missing from their relationship with the major banks.

HNZ deposit rates have not exceeded those of the major banks recently, and have not needed to given the support that they receive from depositors, however the bank is currently offering a special rate for the 3 year term (5.50%) which may be indicative of growth being experienced from the HER lending business.
    If they do pay a fully imputed dividend of 7 cps next year the dividend hound in me calculates that at a gross distribution of 9.72 cents, (7/.72) and based on an ex divvy price of 91.5 cents (95-3.5cps divvy due shortly), investors are looking at a gross return of 10.62% ...with more growth in the years following given reasonable trading conditions and that ladies and gentlemen is the power of investing in a N.Z. owned bank with full imputation credits. Begs the question of why bother backing Australian owned banks doesn't it !! Did I add enough emphasis to those superior interest rate margins above

In today's news http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11317538
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-09-2014 at 09:24 AM.