sharetrader
Page 4 of 1721 FirstFirst 1234567814541045041004 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

So much to learn.. So little time..

Oy vhey !!..

Thank you all for your input..

Snoopy - you probably also heard the ads on the radio as well --- all day long -- and playing the 'we invest in Wellington' card as well ... actually stressing that as well

The marketing machine ramping up .... haven't seen on TV yet ... an old wise guy once told me he never invested with any finance company that had to to resort to TV .... and cited all those that had been on TV and then gone bust

And yes I do find that statement from the head finance honcho a bit strange and a bit of worry

percy

Every second car yard in NZ most probably uses Marac to finance their car,truck sales.If you look at any Marac/Heartland you will see their lending is spread through out NZ.Largest is offcourse Auckland area.
    Most banks have at one time or other advertised on TV.Heartland is a "new" brand, so expect a lot of advertising.
    Deposit rates vary with any organisation.Heartland is no different. They will just be trying to keep their book in order.
    What is interesting is Lizard's earlier posts as to how Heartland deposits are stacking up for when government guarantee expires.Maybe all will be OK,but looks as though banking licence is going to be a must to get them through.
    I will not be ading to my holding until I have seen result,although they have achieved everything they said they would do,and on time.!!!
    Last edited by percy; 21-07-2011 at 05:53 AM.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/5317...and-share-plan

A bit more infor on Greg Tomlinson, the underwriter to Heartland's capital raising.

He is certainly going to do a lot better than George Kerr in terms of his entry price.

As one star brightens, the other dims.

Share Collector

Re Snoopy's comments, I checked the BSH merger presentation and that gave the combined geographical breakdown, with 7% of receivables and 8% of deposits coming from Wellington.

The rate on offer seems quite high at 7.5% - considerably higher than the 6.75% for a similar deposit on their web-site (annual interest payment). But the timeline for becoming non-guaranteed should be the same whether the deposit remains with PWF or moves to Heartland (i.e. all lose the guarantee at 31 Dec when it expires).

I have been following the Heartland interest rates, expecting them to move up to attract sufficient investors to remain with them. However, there have been only very subtle moves of around 0.25% increase in 9-18 month rates to attract investors beyond the end of the guarantee period. They have probably been fortunate in that bank rates have been falling and gifting them a wider spread over bank rates (which are generally below the recent CPI rate for now). The most recent moves at Heartland have been a reduction in the short term interest rates, further pushing investors towards "beyond the guarantee". Also of interest is that the MAR010 (2 yrs till maturity) are trading at around 8%, which suggests the market is reasonably comfortable with Heartland - it's a similar rate to the GFN030 (Guinness Peat) or the IFT150 (Infratil), although those both run until 2015.

While I think it is right to be cautious over their advertising, the crucial difference over GFC advertisers is that it seems many of them were seeking deposits to paper over impairments or capitalisation of interest. In Heartland's case, they have the challenge of re-building investor confidence heading beyond a period where investors can see their deposits as safely backed by the government.

The recent announcement of a June renewal rate of 82% intrigued me, as I wondered how it was achieved, but perhaps advertising is involved. Certainly they will need to stabilise deposits before they can start to go forward, so this is a critical phase for them. PWF actually appears to bring a less risk-averse depositor base, though possibly along with more scope for future impairments. If they are racking up the interest rates at PWF now rather than tarnish the Heartland rates to attract deposits, then that is an interesting marketing move too. Will have to see if I can find that ad...

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Small investors can buy a few now and take part in the spp at a price which will either be better than (possibly much better than) or the same as other institutional investors.

They can also wait until after the results are out to make a decision on making an investment of up to $15,000 - these results are going to be fairly critical in giving some insight as to how HNZ might perform in the future, so that is a considerable amount of de-risking around their purchase.

However, the only thing not clear to me is what the cut-off date for owning shares in the spp is. The details are due to be announced by tomorrow - given the spp is going to open on 8 August, it is possible there may not be much time/too late to get on?

(bought a few anyway at 62cps - am assuming there is a reasonable chance of getting access to the spp still)
    Record date is 1st August.5pm.

The SPP discount is going to be "at least 3%" or around 2cps to the average price in late August - not exactly the most attractive SPP IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
    The SPP discount is going to be "at least 3%" or around 2cps to the average price in late August - not exactly the most attractive SPP IMO.
    It is not intended to be an attractive SPP. Some parties seem to want the capital raising to fali so they can end up with all the shares at 65 cents?

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    It is not intended to be an attractive SPP. Some parties seem to want the capital raising to fali so they can end up with all the shares at 65 cents?
    So in that case, we can presume they will also want the VWAP to be at about 67cps during the price-set period to avoid giving anything extra away to retail investors? If that's the case, it might also be better to just buy on market now at 63cps, instead of gambling on the spp price being lower than 65cps. Although achieving 67cps VWAP might not be simple with the set period occurring post-result.

I'm still not clear what day the result is actually released, but presumably prior to open of trading on 19 August. Also note this is one of those spp's where investors won't be sure what price they're getting until after the spp closes, so will probably want to hold off committing funds until the last few days of the offer.

As shakespeare once said... "To buy or not to buy: that is the question". :-)