sharetrader
Page 463 of 1740 FirstFirst ... 3634134534594604614624634644654664674735135639631463 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,630 of 17397

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I'd be happy with just Plain English without all the corporatese crap
    Mate Its a VERY SAD day for excessive political correctness. An annual report with parts of it translated into Maori and Jeremy Clarkson fired by the BBC both on the same day !! I think I need a drink...opps am I even allowed to say that these days...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Mate Its a VERY SAD day for excessive political correctness. An annual report with parts of it translated into Maori and Jeremy Clarkson fired by the BBC both on the same day !! I think I need a drink...opps am I even allowed to say that these days...
    Aunty's loss could be our gain: New job for Jezza...head of PR for HNZ? With Prince Philip as adviser...

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I'd be happy with just Plain English
    You did get English. You haven't had to learn another language. You can easily elect to skip over the section in Maori.

Whether it is "Plain English" is another matter. The Maori/English distinction is independent of the corporatese/plain distinction.

And winner, I actually think you understand corporatese better than most (I think you demonstrate that on this forum pretty well) -- even if you aren't a speaker of it yourself!
    Last edited by Onion; 27-03-2015 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    You did get English. You haven't had to learn another language. You can easily elect to skip over the section in Maori.

Whether it is "Plain English" is another matter. The Maori/English distinction is independent of the corporatese/plain distinction.

And winner, I actually think you understand corporatese better than most (I think you demonstrate that on this forum pretty well) -- even if you aren't a speaker of it yourself!
    I put the Chairman/CEO (English version) through the old buzzsaw. Some 62 instances of buzz words (a high 8%) in that portion alone. Need to change their PR company methinks

Mr Market quite obviously didn't like the inclusion of Maori translation, ( a first for a N.Z. company report pandering to excessive political correctness ?).
    Says something about the culture of the company and makes me wonder how many expensive cultural sensitivity courses staff have to be sent on whether they like it or not (and I'd speculate the vast majority strongly dislike it), to be seen to be politically correct. I am inclined towards voicing my displeasure about this at the next ASM.

Membaa

If complaining it will resonate with them more clearly if you use the correct lingo, it is not political correctness. Your complaint appears to be in your view an unnecessary focus and expense on Corporate Social Responsibility and Diversity. (I learnt that these things are important to a bank while working for a bank). Whether or not you agree with the expense etc it is a difficult proposition to stand and argue at an AGM that the bank should not be socially responsible nor embrace diversity, in gender, culture, language etc. It may reflect on you as heartlandless. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with you, I may be conflicted as a shareholder.

Mr Market quite obviously didn't like the inclusion of Maori translation, ( a first for a N.Z. company report pandering to excessive political correctness ?).
    Says something about the culture of the company and makes me wonder how many expensive cultural sensitivity courses staff have to be sent on whether they like it or not (and I'd speculate the vast majority strongly dislike it), to be seen to be politically correct. I am inclined towards voicing my displeasure about this at the next ASM.

"Heartlandless" that's a good one mate
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-03-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Topped up $1.29, hanging out for the divvy!

Guru

I disagree that it is "excessive" political correctness to provide a Maori translation. Politically correct it may be. However, as English, Maori and NZSL are all official languages of the country and it could be argued that all public companies should have available reports in all of the official languages.

Maybe the motive is more mercenary as it could well be a deliberate marketing and image-making tactic by Heartland to include Maori, to emphasize that it is a New Zealand Bank as opposed to the big Aussie owned banks trading in NZ.

El Toro~

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I disagree that it is "excessive" political correctness to provide a Maori translation. Politically correct it may be. However, as English, Maori and NZSL are all official languages of the country and it could be argued that all public companies should have available reports in all of the official languages.

Maybe the motive is more mercenary as it could well be a deliberate marketing and image-making tactic by Heartland to include Maori, to emphasize that it is a New Zealand Bank as opposed to the big Aussie owned banks trading in NZ.
    I absolutely agree with this, I have no problem with having Maori language in it, and actually quiet like the idea! Makes them stand out!