sharetrader
Page 767 of 1739 FirstFirst ... 2676677177577637647657667677687697707717778178671267 ... LastLast
Results 7,661 to 7,670 of 17390
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1G0LD View Post
    There seem to be 2 things going on here , The canine is writing a book , not a very good one and using all the other posters to do his proofreading for him ........not gonna fly , never get off the ground too many errors and far too long winded .
    w69 doing his impression of trying to like HBL....but does'nt really (that finance company thing again) , seems fixated on that, needs to move on .
    And Dodgy The Egomeister , loves sticking his oar in and ruffling feathers etc............like I said before there's gurus and then there's real Guru's (Like Phaedrus ,sadly missed) . Did i say 2 things ,i threw an extra one in for good measure .
    From what I can see HBL are doing a great job of being a BANK with a difference under trying economic conditions and credit too them , under the current management they'll only get better.
    Honestly, don't know what they were talking about...figures, debts, ex finance company n etc. but guess what..HBL net profit is around 50 m plus n 9 cents dividend in year 2017...that is what matter n certainly HBL will get better from now on...

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Snoopy >
    Heartland Bank can claim their roots right back to 1875 when CBS was formed.
    In the interest of accuracy you refer to the Ashburton Permanent Building Society. CBS was the entity made up of the merged Permanent, it's home town twin the Ashburton Loan and Building Society and the Sydenham Money Club.

At the time of the most recent merger the provincial accountants who ran CBS decided that they wanted to step it up to play with the big boys. Why they chose to marry up with MARAC and its problem step children of George Kerr, PGC, and the MARAC property loans is a mystery which is still unexplained.

Heartland is a bit of an outlier in the finance world. A second tier bank run from Auckland with two retail branches in its Canterbury heartland.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    In the interest of accuracy you refer to the Ashburton Permanent Building Society. CBS was the entity made up of the merged Permanent, it's home town twin the Ashburton Loan and Building Society and the Sydenham Money Club.

At the time of the most recent merger the provincial accountants who ran CBS decided that they wanted to step it up to play with the big boys. Why they chose to marry up with MARAC and its problem step children of George Kerr, PGC, and the MARAC property loans is a mystery which is still unexplained.

Heartland is a bit of an outlier in the finance world. A second tier bank run from Auckland with two retail branches in its Canterbury heartland.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    You may be best to take this up with Heartland Bank directly, as their presentation of 2-6-2016, page 5 headed "Evolution of Heartland" clearly has what I posted.
    Your unhappiness with CSB joining up with Marac and SCBS remains,however I don't see it worth dwelling on.
    As for branches ,I feel HBL positioning themselves in online platforms will serve them better than costly branches.
    Last edited by percy; 06-06-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Banned

I just wanted to reiterate that at $1.25 Heartland is trading on a 10% gross yield for FY17 at the consensus of 9cps in dividends. Not bad for a company doing niche lending at twice the margins the major banks achieve. Of course you will see some bad debts as 4.4% lending margins don't come without risk but the management here are doing a good job and I for one am a happy holder and will add if it retreats sub $1.20.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Exclamation When is a Bank not a Bank - When it IS a Bank

The history of any company, its antecedents and major events, is important to the extent that it helps one to understand the present situation of the company, the journey so far and how this may affect the likely future performance.

An obvious for instance of this is how the corporate memory of the Ansett Collapse has influenced Air New Zealand to make the recent poor decisions that are the current Virgin Australia Disaster.

Looking forward the current situation with the dairy industry will obviously have a greater effect on the short & possibly medium term profitability of Heartland Bank the longer it lasts, as will the decisions and impairments that are made in other areas of lending.

However the Bank is well capitalised, the management are well aware of the situation, being open and communicating their updated assessments as the process unfolds.

It is probable that it will survive.

I will reiterate the important of remembering that dairy is just one string in the Banks bow and at different times different sectors have their ups and down.

This is what being a Bank is all about, spreading and managing risk for the benefit of their shareholders and creditors.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

PS I presume you have all been 4% for a one year term-deposit as well?
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post

PS I presume you have all been offered 4% for a one year term-deposit as well?
    Hope you didn't mind me adding the missing word PT - and yes I was offered the 4% rate too. Great timing, as my company has a $500k trust fund TD maturing with ANZ today that we wish to reinvest. The best ANZ will do (after being advised of the Heartland offer) is 3.55%.

That will be based on the credit ratings I guess - ANZ's Fitch rating is AA- while Heartland are BBB (stable).

We do deposit our own Call funds with Heartland but will probably leave the TD with ANZ as that money is not ours. Not worried at all about Heartland -but a deposit with ANZ is probably easier to explain should the necessity arise.
    Last edited by pierre; 07-06-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Thumbs up Offered is a good word too

PS I presume you have all seen 4% for a one year term-deposit as well?
    I have trouble with the difference between 'b' and 's' - they are on the same keyboard.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Default Somehow I just knew I would pick the wrong word...

I have trouble with the difference between 'b' and 's' - they are on the same keyboard.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    I can understand your difficulty - but fortunately most people know what is meant if you place those two letters together.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre View Post
    Hope you didn't mind me adding the missing word PT - and yes I was offered the 4% rate too. Great timing, as my company has a $500k trust fund TD maturing with ANZ today that we wish to reinvest. The best ANZ will do (after being advised of the Heartland offer) is 3.55%.

That will be based on the credit ratings I guess - ANZ's Fitch rating is AA- while Heartland are BBB (stable).

We do deposit our own Call funds with Heartland but will probably leave the TD with ANZ as that money is not ours. Not worried at all about Heartland -but a deposit with ANZ is probably easier to explain should the necessity arise.
    Yes, easier to explain that the approximate probabilityof default over 5years with Heartland is 1 in 30 (according to its credit rating) but with ANZ it's just 1 in 300.

I have HBL and ANZ but will be keeping my money in ANZ. No need to own HBL and give them what little cash I have, at least not until its credit rating increases.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 07-06-2016 at 07:00 PM. Reason: it's to its

The history of any company, its antecedents and major events, is important to the extent that it helps one to understand the present situation of the company, the journey so far and how this may affect the likely future performance.

An obvious for instance of this is how the corporate memory of the Ansett Collapse has influenced Air New Zealand to make the recent poor decisions that are the current Virgin Australia Disaster.

Looking forward the current situation with the dairy industry will obviously have a greater effect on the short & possibly medium term profitability of Heartland Bank the longer it lasts, as will the decisions and impairments that are made in other areas of lending.

However the Bank is well capitalised, the management are well aware of the situation, being open and communicating their updated assessments as the process unfolds.

It is probable that it will survive.

I will reiterate the important of remembering that dairy is just one string in the Banks bow and at different times different sectors have their ups and down.

This is what being a Bank is all about, spreading and managing risk for the benefit of their shareholders and creditors.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger

PS I presume you have all been 4% for a one year term-deposit as well?
    I applaud you PT for not naming it a finance company in really small letters even though its origins are apparent to us all.