sharetrader
Page 953 of 1740 FirstFirst ... 453853903943949950951952953954955956957963100310531453 ... LastLast
Results 9,521 to 9,530 of 17397
    Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    $1.80 got cleaned out today...for what its worth I helped in that process. That's what happens when a silly dog talks himself into buying more as per post #9536.
    PE seems very reasonable for the steady growth of HBL.
    Do you wonder why you sold thereabouts 1.30 if I recall correctly then missed the divis and the .50 cap upside? Summer 2014/15 was a ramping doozy, then the diary crisis a down ramping doozy, that wasn't sustained. We need to be careful of the devil on one shoulder while the angel on the other is saying something else but we've stopped listening to the bright side.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Do you wonder why you sold thereabouts 1.30 if I recall correctly then missed the divis and the .50 cap upside? Summer 2014/15 was a ramping doozy, then the diary crisis a down ramping doozy, that wasn't sustained. We need to be careful of the devil on one shoulder while the angel on the other is saying something else but we've stopped listening to the bright side.
    I sat out just over two years of the dairy crisis that was an extremely risky period of time for the N.Z. banking industry. The dairy collapse was a cancer that could have very seriously impacted the N.Z. banking sector. By taking a carefully measured approach to exposing myself to risk in this sector I missed just on only 15 cents in the rise from 85 cps when I first invested after the credit rating upgrade to the current price of $1.80. $1.32 - $1.47 was all I missed, yesterday's top up was just that. FYI I made more than the return I missed in this sector while invested in other sectors. Risk mitigation is an essential approach to any investment strategy in my opinion. Things could have gone terribly wrong for HBL and all other banks exposed to the dairy sector but thankfully they all dodged a bullet and we are now onward and upward again.
    As posted above with a forward estimated PE in the mid 13's for FY18 taking into account the excellent fully imputed dividend yield, the forecast growth in EPS and dividends I think the forward PE on a risk adjusted basis, (yes pretty benign trading conditions now) is fair - good value.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-07-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Beagle - I think it's good that you can change your view as circumstances change. A good attribute you have even if the eyes of some it makes you appear to be a bit flighty but thats their problem I reckon

You might even see FBU as a good punt one day
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Beagle - I think it's good that you can change your view as circumstances change. A good attribute you have even if the eyes of some it makes you appear to be a bit flighty but thats their problem I reckon

You might even see FBU as a good punt one day
    Thanks Winner I think one is sometimes best to take an adaptive and nimble approach, especially with stocks like PPH ! but please don't hold your breath on FBU
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-07-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

New all time high of $1.82...Percy would you like to do the honours and complete this phrase that I "vaguely" remember. We are well .......... ?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    New all time high of $1.82...Percy would you like to do the honours and complete this phrase that I "vaguely" remember. We are well .......... ?
    It may have been well....... "positioned" ,"poised" for another good result, which Peat would possibly comment, that "the fragance [of growth] is becoming stonger."
    A lot of runs now on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    It may have been well....... "positioned" ,"poised" for another good result, which Peat would possibly comment, that "the fragance [of growth] is becoming stonger."
    A lot of runs now on the board.
    Spare a thought for Snoopy, who bagged HBL all the way down to 43. While some discern pleasant fragrances, he is probably still overwhelmed by foul odours.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Under Surveillance View Post
    Spare a thought for Snoopy, who bagged HBL all the way down to 43. While some discern pleasant fragrances, he is probably still overwhelmed by foul odours.
    While all the time praising ARI [asx] from 38 cents to .000000000.
    Och..!
    Last edited by percy; 26-07-2017 at 06:36 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Under Surveillance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    While all the time praising ARI [asx] from 38 cents to .000000000.
    Och..!
    A hindsight view of history decouples the period risk factors from what was has happened to the share price since.

For those who have forgotten, there were serious problems with the 'non-core' (sic) property portfolio at the time Heartland was at 43c. It wasn't just management skill that got HBL out of their difficulties either. Sometimes when a company gets into trouble you bet and win. Other times you bet and lose (as happened to me with Arrium). At the time of any investment, the final result is not determined.

I am happy with the risk I took in upping my Arrium shareholding at the time, although I am obviously not happy with the hindsight result. No doubt many here are happy with the risk they took in investing in Heartland. Good on those who have done well in Heartland. We need risk taking investors as well as boring investors. But don't let the rise in share price from 43c to '$1.80 odd' blind anyone that the ride was not a little bumpy along the way. And don't think the share price going up on no news means your investment risk is getting lower, when in actual fact the contrary is true.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 26-07-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Arrow Luckily the trend is still not at the end

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    A hindsight view of history decouples the period risk factors from what was has happened to the share price since.

For those who have forgotten, there were serious problems with the 'non-core' (sic) property portfolio at the time Heartland was at 43c. It wasn't just management skill that got HBL out of their difficulties either. Sometimes when a company gets into trouble you bet and win. Other times you bet and lose (as happened to me with Arrium). At the time of any investment, the final result is not determined.

I am happy with the risk I took in upping my Arrium shareholding at the time, although I am obviously not happy with the hindsight result. No doubt many here are happy with the risk they took in investing in Heartland. Good on those who have done well in Heartland. We need risk taking investors as well as boring investors. But don't let the rise in share price from 43c to '$1.80 odd' blind anyone that the ride was not a little bumpy along the way. And don't think the share price going up on no news means your investment risk is getting lower, when in actual fact the contrary is true.

SNOOPY
    One does have to wonder at the current share price given the consensus earnings forecasts for the next few years.

Surely, one can say that, currently, it is fundamentally 'over-priced' using any sensible metrics.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum