sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Member

Default Is there a double dip on the horizon ??

All pointers seem to say so !..

Legend

Hi Janner, I assume you have seen this from Incredible Charts: and it certainly looks that way. No quick reply to your thread by the experts on ST, that would be a bad sign too. Learners like me are all wondering what will happen next week. These are the times when many so-called "investments" are revealed in truth as bets that are taken off the table. Those of us who use FA to select and hold shares, start looking more at risk than usual.

Add to this, the possibility of insiders, board members and large shareholders affecting many shareprices, and you have to be careful with your purchases. The silver lining is that any share price drop will stop sometime, and picking that point in late 2008 has been lucrative for many.

Advanced Member

The answer to the thread as to whether there is a double dip or not is IMHO is clearly NO.
    When the downturn started 2008 i had an on going arguement with my accountant and banker about the recession. Both thought it would be V shaped and be over soon.My feeling do to all cheap oil now gone is that the only letter in the althebet that will describe in economy is the letter L. The thread title here assumes that the letter is W with the last up turn in the coming future. That is just hope and it is not our future.
    The chinese have a charactor that better describes the economy since 2008 and it is like an L with the bottom of the L sloping gradually down.So the answer to this thread title is NO. No such luck.
    digger

Digger Agreed the only way to rectify is another Bretton Woods to take a lot of the speculation & manipulation away from Markets
    Possum The Cat

http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/53934/double-shot-interview-hifxs-dan-bell-reviews-weeks-currencies-moves-including-greek-de
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...is-will-hutton

Worth a read as some of the current malaise is explained.

Notice once again how private capital is preserved (to 1% of world's rich) while the public (the 0ther 99%) get to shoulder the burden. Methinks that a total overthrow of the financial system via non-violent revolutions would be a great thing ... i.e. anyone with net worth of 250 million US gets to donate the remainder to the public purse to cancel govt debts ... ... Wonder what that'd do to the US debt mountain? ... (And, yes, I already know the answer )

edited:

Remember back in the good old days when a bank that risked everything and failed meant that equity holders lost everything (while depositors were generally covered by govt guarantees) and it became a lesson to all bankers to be conservative and lend wisely? Seems those days are gone!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...s-bank-exposed

A look through the table of banks and their exposure suggest that the most non-greek banks would survive (albeit shareholders would likely be tossing out the boards and senior management due to some pretty steep capital losses!) and the ones that failed would become a great reminder to other banks, and shareholder of those banks, that failure is just around the corner to any bank that does not lend wisely and spread risk appropriately.
    Inevitable consequences of the fractional banking system eh Belg

The situation who is holding the credit default swaps complicated the matters as well

Foe once I agree witht he Germans - let the banks take a haircut ... they were the stupid ones

The citizens of Greek may have benefited but they should not have to suffer to pay it all back .... greedy banks didn't lend to credit worthy people (nation) in the first place did they

Advanced Member

It is Roubini that I have been watching.. He was correct the last time..

Also Billy T from Sciforums.. I know that he is not a finance man but he has been predicting 2014 for a major crash for quite some time ..

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    It is Roubini that I have been watching.. He was correct the last time..

Also Billy T from Sciforums.. I know that he is not a finance man but he has been predicting 2014 for a major crash for quite some time ..
    Yes many got it right- Marc faber,jim rogers,peter schiff also have got much right over the last few decades
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Yes many got it right- Marc faber,jim rogers,peter schiff also have got much right over the last few decades
    You should add Eric Janszen to the list.

In fact it would be hard to find anyone with a better verified record over the last 12 years.

He has been close to flawless on big picture stuff.

And his timing has been scary, scary accurate.

Advanced Member

Well be scared .. Janszen is also predicting another one :-)