sharetrader
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Maybe the result is better than it seem, if we consider Auckland waterfront hotel was not contributing due to refurbishment.

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    Maybe the result is better than it seem, if we consider Auckland waterfront hotel was not contributing due to refurbishment.
    yes
    but the Grand Millenium was contributing .... that is a large hotel.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

fair enough ...but I assume they didn't count that into the lower occupancy rates? Or do you think they did ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

BP you are right, been in contact with mck and they confirmed your assumption.
    Last edited by forest; 06-08-2017 at 09:01 AM.

BP you are right, been in contact with mck and they confirmed your assumption.
    cheers for checking and letting us know
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by greater fool View Post
    Been a while coming but auckland waterfront hotel opens.....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11931722
    Excited to see the extent to which the new hotel will affect earnings, even though its only a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by greater fool View Post
    "Consent was also granted to City Developments' planned acquisition of 34.8 per
    cent of Millennium & Copthorne Hotels, for up to about $1.3 billion, which excluded
    a special dividend of about 38c per share.

The company was proposing to increase its existing ownership in Millennium & Copthorne Hotels,
    which held interests in Millennium & Copthorne Hotels New Zealand and CDL Investments New Zealand,
    which had interests in sensitive land and collectively assets valued at more than $100 million.

City Developments owners included Singapore's Hong Leong Group with 48.4 per cent.

Millennium & Copthorne Hotels via its interests in Millennium & Copthorne Hotels New Zealand
    and CDL Investments New Zealand and other subsidiaries, had land interests in the Far North
    District of approximately 5.23ha, Auckland Council region (27.86ha), Hamilton City region
    (101.48ha), Rotorua District (1.01ha), Southland District (0.88ha) and Nelson City region (11.78ha)."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11985547
    Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Surprising announcement, not too many details though, does say the magic words "earnings accretive" though

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/313706
    Last edited by JoeGrogan; 02-02-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Acquired a very small parcel of these shares through family interest's around Christmas time...

Haven't really sat down and had a good look at the company as of yet.
    First impressions are quite conservative, "boring" ( which can be a good thing!), company with a reasonably consistent profit with a small dividend paid once a year.
    CDL also seems to be going very well at the moment.
    Not much liquidity which I can't decide if it's a good thing or not....
    Like I say more research required....gut instinct tells me to add to my recent pick up...and forget about them for 10 years.....
    Like the tourism sector and I have done very well up to now on my THL shares

Hmmm...might be some reading to do this weekend!

Do like the new bar in the bottom of the new M Social hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Acquired a very small parcel of these shares through family interest's around Christmas time...

Haven't really sat down and had a good look at the company as of yet.
    First impressions are quite conservative, "boring" ( which can be a good thing!), company with a reasonably consistent profit with a small dividend paid once a year.
    CDL also seems to be going very well at the moment.
    Not much liquidity which I can't decide if it's a good thing or not....
    Like I say more research required....gut instinct tells me to add to my recent pick up...and forget about them for 10 years.....
    Like the tourism sector and I have done very well up to now on my THL shares

Hmmm...might be some reading to do this weekend!

Do like the new bar in the bottom of the new M Social hotel
    Tell us if your reading this weekend finds some interesting news ;

The Pros as I see them:

acceptable P/E (15) in combination with a quite good and consistent growth rate (CAGR >10);
    lots of hidden value on the balance sheet (including a sh*tload of highly undervalued CDL shares) - actually - the real value (if somebody would want to liquidate the assets) is well above the market cap;
    exposure to the flourishing tourist sector;

The Cons:

low liquidity - clearly not the stock to put your emergency funds into ;
    majority shareholder has full control - and their interests might not be aligned with the interest of retail shareholders;

As I see it - one important feature of both CDL as well as MCK seems to be to hide asset values (note - I don't say this is intentional ). Retail shareholders might need to wait a (very?) long time until majority shareholder decides to change the relevant accounting policies (if at all) unless we have a takeover or some change in the legal accounting framework;

Discl: hold a smallish parcel of MCK and a medium sized parcel of CDL shares - and yes, there is a reason I hold more CDL;
    ----