sharetrader
Page 86 of 121 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeka

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, you said:

Clear evidence that you have no clue whatsoever what you are talking about. Where have you been the last two years - behind the moon?

I suppose you missed looking at the volume before crying wolf - didn't you? At the time you made this statement less than 1000 shares had changed hands (and overall despite your significant downramping and smearing the company efforts it was still just a trickle).
    "Normal" as in the new normal, keep up. Freight issues have been a constant for the last two years so can't be considered surprising anymore. Planning to have major equipment delivered in April right as the season kicks into high gear strikes me as poor project management.

As for the volume, I checked the depth which correctly signalled a big drop as their were lots of sellers at lower prices. You should try looking at it, might help you.

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    So we have climate change. At the moment, New Zealand grows kiwifruit in places which have a climate suitable for growing kiwifruit.
    As the climate changes, these places are likely to become less suitable for growing kiwifruit. But other places will become suitable for growing kiwifruit.

I don’t think that the kiwifruit industry will disappear, I think it will move.

And moving a whole industry- not just the cultivated land used to grow the crop, but all the associated infrastructure - together with the people needed to staff the industry, is going to require massive amounts of capital expenditure.
    And that’s not capital for expansion and growth, but capital to simply maintain the industry at it’s current size.

It’s going to be a huge project.

Think of the position than New Zealand King Salmon find themselves in – having to migrate their operations some hundreds of kilometres south if they’re to survive.

Think in terms of the vast sums sunk into the development of the South Island dairy industry over the past couple of decades.

As climate change progresses, I think there’s going to be a huge change in New Zealand’s land use patterns as various crops and industries have to up sticks and move to survive. Taking their workforce with them. And requiring all the associated infrastructure to support both the people and the industries.

Horticulture has been good to me over the years, but I find my investment timeframe shortening.
    A more likely possibility is the industry shifts to newer more tolerant varieties over time. The industry has done this successfully before with gold which has also helped NZ keep its competitive advantage. Not without major cost but this fell more on the growers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    "Normal" as in the new normal, keep up. Freight issues have been a constant for the last two years so can't be considered surprising anymore. Planning to have major equipment delivered in April right as the season kicks into high gear strikes me as poor project management.

As for the volume, I checked the depth which correctly signalled a big drop as their were lots of sellers at lower prices. You should try looking at it, might help you.
    your right.

BP caught out smoking the funny weed again
    head in the clouds probably annoyed he's underwater and cant sell his 10000 share's cause there is no volume to sell too
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Reported shipping shortages for NZ exports has intrigued me.

For most of the peak export season of 6 months, Hawkes Bay had 3 to 5 ships at anchor, waiting to berth at Napier Port.

If there was any shortage of shipping, you think it would be the other way round, no ships at anchor, and 3 to 5 empty berths at the port.

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post

For most of the peak export season of 6 months, Hawkes Bay had 3 to 5 ships at anchor, waiting to berth at Napier Port.

If there was any shortage of shipping, you think it would be the other way round, no ships at anchor, and 3 to 5 empty berths at the port.
    Interesting, but not clear how this fits into the current discussion, which is about delayed deliveries to NZ.

Who was talking about delayed exports?

The relevant machine parts had a hold up in Singapore - on the way to NZ
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Interesting, but not clear how this fits into the current discussion, which is about delayed deliveries to NZ.

Who was talking about delayed exports?

The relevant machine parts had a hold up in Singapore - on the way to NZ
    With respect BP, you are not the sole reporter of facts.

The newspapers and industry sources have had much to say about shipping shortages affecting NZ export schedules.

Guru

Issues facing shippers are not just about vessel calls - it is about costs, availability of refrigerated containers, space on vessels, schedules, port ommissions, destinations, often signifcant delays in arrivals/departures and delays/costs in clearance through destination ports.

Not sure what vessels might be waiting in Napier - could be tankers, bulk freighteres etc. Maersk pulled out of Napier earlier this year if I remember correctly.

Zespri always have a number of charter vessels, but other companies joined together (Turners, Talleys, Anzco etc) and chartered vessels also.

Advanced Member

It appears the government has woken up to the effect on primary industry, due to their previous restrictions on foreign labour.

Some rules have been eased recently.

With regard to the RSE scheme, if there is any shortage of Pacific Island workers prepared to come to NZ, or damage to their own community from too many able bodied people being here, then there is vast potential to fill vacancies with Indonesians.

They have already been used locally, and proven to be very good.

All it needs is for the government to lift quotas.

Seeka management should be addressing this with govt, and then be able to clearly plan accommodation requirements.

My point is that if locals cannot fill the jobs, then there is no shortage of overseas workers, just limitations imposed by govt, with resultant damage to our economy with less exports.
    Last edited by Getty; 23-08-2022 at 10:52 AM.

It appears the government has woken up to the effect on primary industry, due to their previous restrictions on foreign labour.

With regard to the RSE scheme, if there is any shortage of Pacific Island workers prepared to come to NZ, or damage to their own community from too many able bodied people being here, then there is vast potential to fill vacancies with Indonesians.

Seeka management should be addressing this with govt, and then be able to clearly plan accommodation requirements.

My point is that if locals cannot fill the jobs, then there is no shortage of overseas workers, just limitations imposed by govt, with resultant damage to our economy with less exports.
    Absolutely - the workers shortage is completely self inflicted ... our government shooting themselves again and again into the foot putting a xonophobe ideology above our economic well being. Slow learners ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Great , but first the govt has to sort out the dreadful situation of the RSE worker accommodation as was reported on the last Sunday TV1 programme, absolutely a desecreatful !! $150 per man , 4 to a 10x 12 foot bunk room , no heat, drying, 1 towel for 2 weeks, not the way to treat badly needed workers on a minimum contract wage !!