sharetrader
Page 102 of 121 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1205

Thread: Seeka

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    thx for update
    jan must be one of the wettest on record guess thats no good for the dry matter content in the fruit
    Yes correct fruit size will be big because of all the water but orchards will struggle to get the dry matter in without sun.

It will be similar to 2021 season where orchards couldn’t pick due to not enough sugar content but fruit was going soft/rotting on the vine.

The gold fruit looks ok because if you’ve got the $ to grow that you’ve likely got frost protection in place, it’s the HW crop that will struggle the most.

Lots of pack houses bulking up with automation and new cool stores which won’t be needed this year so far less income, but no less expenses (other than direct labour costs). Will be a good time to buy in march next year for Seeka once poor full year results come out. With the sector growth I reckon frosts or catastrophe aside 2024 will be the year to buy into Seeka

Looks like some kiwiifruit orchards were wiped out in the BOP , from what i saw on the news last night
    one step ahead of the herd

Looks like some kiwiifruit orchards were wiped out in the BOP , from what i saw on the news last night
    Yes I saw that picture/video of just the tops of the vines and structures above water. It didn't mention details though.

Guru

Zespri running a meeting for growers

https://www.usx.co.nz/uploads/paperc...pdf?1674792070

Michael Franks on TV this morning talking about the orchards. Quite a few development (new) orchards destroyed and established ones damaged.
    Also mentioned that a bridge has been washed away that is the only suitable access for some orchards which they would be picking from in 60 days.
    They are hoping that something will be put in place by then.
    It all sounded rather dire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Zespri running a meeting for growers

https://www.usx.co.nz/uploads/paperc...pdf?1674792070
    growers up in arms

Kiwifruit growers demand explanation over lack of pay

Chief executive Colin Bond said fruit loss for last season's fruit is now at 20 percent, up from the 7 percent previously forecast, an increase of 186 percent.
    "Repacking is also up 300 percent - as are quality claims - on 2022, furthermore, our important Japan market has been undersupplied by more than a million trays and has experienced poorer fruit quality than forecast. The situation is unacceptable."
    Bond said growers are suffering heavily, and the latest blow is untenable.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/country/4...er-lack-of-pay

growers up in arms

Kiwifruit growers demand explanation over lack of pay

[FONT="]Chief executive Colin Bond said fruit loss for last season's fruit is now at 20 percent, up from the 7 percent previously forecast, an increase of 186 percent.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]"Repacking is also up 300 percent - as are quality claims - on 2022, furthermore, our important Japan market has been undersupplied by more than a million trays and has experienced poorer fruit quality than forecast. The situation is unacceptable."[/FONT]
    Bond said growers are suffering heavily, and the latest blow is untenable.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/country/4...er-lack-of-pay
    Interesting - world has an undersupply of good quality Kiwi fruit ... and bull thinks this means that Kiwi producers will be hammered down.

Did you short international wheat producers at the time the Russians stole the stuff from the Ukraine. Did you?

Wheat supply suffered and guess what - wheat prices went up!

As I see it, there are two options for our Kiwifruit industry:

1) the world stops eating Kiwi fruit and our farmers can turn what is left into juice (unlikely) or
    2) prices are going up and we better invest in the production of still more quality fruit

I'd assume that our farmers and Seeka are reasonably well equipped to help with this good cause ...

But sure - if everything looks like an unsolvable problem for you, than the only tool you need is a sledge hammer ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Interesting - world has an undersupply of good quality Kiwi fruit ... and bull thinks this means that Kiwi producers will be hammered down.

Did you short international wheat producers at the time the Russians stole the stuff from the Ukraine. Did you?

Wheat supply suffered and guess what - wheat prices went up!

As I see it, there are two options for our Kiwifruit industry:

1) the world stops eating Kiwi fruit and our farmers can turn what is left into juice (unlikely) or
    2) prices are going up and we better invest in the production of still more quality fruit

I'd assume that our farmers and Seeka are reasonably well equipped to help with this good cause ...

But sure - if everything looks like an unsolvable problem for you, than the only tool you need is a sledge hammer ;
    actually looks this season going to go down in the history books?? as maybe the worst ever ( except maybe psa ) and with no summer ( sun ) yet looks like maybe a very large amount of fruit wont be export quality im guessing so in answer to your question i guess japan may continue to be under supplied.
    As for wheat it trades at price which were before russian invasion
    yes maybe the crop will mainly go to juice or rot ?
    anyway cant do much about the weather only pray next yr crop doe's not have issues like this yr

anyway on seeka im still sticking to another downgrade to come with no div

anyway on seeka im still sticking to another downgrade to come with no div
    I think that's pretty much a given.

sounds baad ... washed away crops ?

Cyclone Gabrielle: Under-pressure kiwifruit export industry counting the costs

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...GL5ZDA2HNGSII/