sharetrader
Page 46 of 121 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeka

seeka needs your help

Seeka Limited (NZX-SEK), a listed New Zealand produce handler has today announced a labour shortage of 300 positions for local people across their kiwifruit orchard and post-harvest operations in Bay of Plenty, Coromandel and Northland.

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU20...-northland.htm
    one step ahead of the herd

Dilettante

There will be people losing their jobs all over the place in the next few weeks, but I bet not many of them will go and pick kiwifruit. Much better to get the extra benefits just announced !

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There will be people losing their jobs all over the place in the next few weeks, but I bet not many of them will go and pick kiwifruit. Much better to get the extra benefits just announced !
    Can't say I blame them. In my time I have worked picking cabbages, apricots, pears and oranges at different times as a traveler in my 20s. If I were unemployed with no money, I think I would prefer to go on the dole. Having said that, they will find workers and I think food exporters are probably one of the better investments at this time.

IMO

The benefit is subsistence at best a miserable place to be. After a quick google,Kiwi fruit workers get $18 to $26 an hour . If you are in a motivated team pickers can earn more when paid by the bin. Weather depended, the fruit need to be dry. Beneficaries get what re $150 to $188 after tax. No brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    The benefit is subsistence at best a miserable place to be.
    A bit off topic but you know, it depends how you organise yourself. I have known a few people who have lived quite well on the dole back in the day. Things are probably different now (few could save and buy a house on the dole today I suspect). More than a few of my friends in rural areas raising families and living a very nice life style on the dole 20 years ago. Not one of them would dream of picking fruit!

Picking fruit is like going to the gym and getting paid for it. And the gyms will more than likely be closed. If you want to lose some weight and get fit and strong over a few weeks, then this could be a great option.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Picking fruit is like going to the gym and getting paid for it. And the gyms will more than likely be closed. If you want to lose some weight and get fit and strong over a few weeks, then this could be a great option.
    Sadly they can not get reliable local people to pick the fruit and have to rely on foreign labour, while many sit on all sorts of benefits to avoid work in both BOP and Northland, where workers are needed the most. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Sadly they can not get reliable local people to pick the fruit and have to rely on foreign labour, while many sit on all sorts of benefits to avoid work in both BOP and Northland, where workers are needed the most. Sad.
    Jacinda’s folly - throwing more money at beneficiaries so she gets their votes this September.

The caring, compassionate and sharing utopia on Earth - all using taxpayers’ money of course.

Meanwhile, companies like Seeka (which contribute hugely to the very same taxpayers’ monies being used to create the utopia of beneficiaries) may have unpicked fruit (read lost revenues)!

On the news, a group of 40 Thai kiwifruit seasonal workers are under quarantine for 14 days after arriving this week!
    Last edited by Balance; 18-03-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Guru

Little miss "look at me " and the rest of the "dead heads" have not realised it but throwing additional money at the beneficiaries is a complete waste of money as they are not swing voters, they always vote labour, daaaah , sooooo thick !!

dividend cancelled.

disappointing but prudent I suppose
    Or, ominous?
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....