sharetrader
Page 67 of 121 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeka

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Welcome on board!

I am pretty confident they will do well over the next years to come - they are currently implementing a quite impressive and sensible growth strategy ... and even if everything might break down in the years to come, people always will need and want fresh food and fruit.
    Been onboard again since March. Slowly adding a few more. I like what I’m seeing.

I bought in on Friday. First time holder, long time follower. SP seemed quite attractive- below what the CEO recently paid and before that below what the recent amalgamation shares were priced at.

Sek have a good growth feel about it. I am looking to slightly reduce retail stocks and move some money into comvita and sek. Probably good to be in food when inflation is about.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Been onboard again since March. Slowly adding a few more. I like what I’m seeing.
    same here too

The Orangewood amalgamation looks to be a sensible approach to continuing the SEK growth story and also cosying up to some additional growers. I suspect that in the short term post the amalgamation becoming effective, there will be some Orangewood former shareholders who will take advantage on the liquidity they now have through having shares in a NZX listed entity to sell some of their shares. I suspect this will suppress the SEK share price in the short term and if you believe in the SEK long term story might provide a good buying opportunity.

So do you think the potental banning of the "Hi cane" spray will have any impact. Almost got on board until this came up in the last week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Teatree View Post
    So do you think the potental banning of the "Hi cane" spray will have any impact.
    I don’t totally understand the potential impact but from what I understand:

1. The EPA hasn’t reached a final decision, with submissions on the proposal to ban it still being received. However, given it has been banned in Europe and some other countries including the US have it under review, I assume it is more likely than not it will be banned in NZ.
    2. The proposal is to phase out over five years, so all of the impact is not instant.
    3. Hi-Cane has greater benefits in warmer climates, so presumably Northland Kiwifruit more impacted that BOP kiwifruit. BOP a far bigger part of SEK’s business than Northland.

Question is what would the consequences for SEK will be:

• SEK operated orchards less profitable?
    • Reduced incentive to plant new Kiwifruit orchards if financial returns reduce?
    • Total crop reduces, potentially having some upwards pressure on market price of fruit?
    • Less capital investment required by SEK to expand packhouse facilities?
    • Pressure on chemical companies to develop a safer alternative more quickly than they would otherwise?

The EPA has been working on the matter for some time, so assume the announcement not a total surprise. SEK has still been actively growing its business and the CEO has been buying additional shares on market so I assume SEK directors and management have confidence in SEK’s future.
    Last edited by Southern Lad; 09-10-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    I bought in on Friday. First time holder, long time follower. SP seemed quite attractive- below what the CEO recently paid and before that below what the recent amalgamation shares were priced at.

Sek have a good growth feel about it. I am looking to slightly reduce retail stocks and move some money into comvita and sek. Probably good to be in food when inflation is about.

I hear you and agree. I am around 50% in food and supplements production on the NZX/USX with my portfolio and am likely to go even higher in the medium term future.

I recently bought in as they seem to know what they are doing and the dividend yield was another factor. Downside risk is things such as weather and disease,
    but if these don't eventuate should be plenty of growth.

And of course if the share price stagnates for no good reason it becomes a takeover target.

seeka shareholder update to be held on zoom

Seeka Seeka Limited [NZX:SEK] advises that its stakeholder update for 2021 will be on Tuesday 26 October 2021 starting at 3pm.

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/380726
    one step ahead of the herd

I bought more at 5.05 this week, Seeka is now 40% of my food theme, food is about 20% of my overall portfolio. I have diversified my horticultural holdings a bit though as I see risk being too concentrated in kiwifruit.

I like the straight-talking CEO, and it is good to see the company coping well with so many challenges and still making good progress on its growth plan. Likely more challenges ahead though.

I also like investing in companies whose products I buy myself, as a sort of practical hedge. Avocados are real cheap now, not good for growers, but I am eating more in a fortnight than I normally eat in a year. Mashed avocado, cider vinegar, salt, lots of black pepper, yum.