sharetrader
Page 94 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeka

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Me neither ... and it does not seem to be newsworthy (no disclosure and not even Dr. Google seems to know about it).

iceman ... I guess this sounds interesting, could you give us a hint where this information is coming from?
    Head Office. Not just my assumption as you suggest but obviously not material as it has not been flagged.
    Last edited by iceman; 29-10-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Head Office. Not just my assumption as you suggest but obviously not material as it has not been flagged.
    Cheers. Any information on the damage (if any) done?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Cheers. Any information on the damage (if any) done?
    Unknown but not a big concern by the sounds of it

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Unknown but not a big concern by the sounds of it
    Thanks for this clarification.
    ----

nashi pears seeka do at shepparton.
    anyway i see climate change is wrecking havoc on australian food producers as well

Survival of the fittest’: Farmers, food giants are fighting more than floods

Food players of all sizes across the supply chain – including some of Australia’s largest food producers, household names such as Bega, Costa and Milklab maker’s Noumi – have been at the pointy end of extreme weather events that are occurring more frequently and with greater intensity.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/cons...18-p5bqo7.html

any investor obviously has to realize weather events look like they may be becoming normal part of business

one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    nashi pears seeka do at shepparton.
    anyway i see climate change is wrecking havoc on australian food producers as well

Survival of the fittest’: Farmers, food giants are fighting more than floods

Food players of all sizes across the supply chain – including some of Australia’s largest food producers, household names such as Bega, Costa and Milklab maker’s Noumi – have been at the pointy end of extreme weather events that are occurring more frequently and with greater intensity.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/cons...18-p5bqo7.html

any investor obviously has to realize weather events look like they may be becoming normal part of business

Clearly - extreme weather events will increase. Suppose however that the need for food will remain constant, unless global warming starts to reduce the number of humans in a material way.

Given this situation are global warming and extreme weather events just part of the normal business impacting on all food producers. The impact will be like the impact of the Ukraine war on oil companies - price of the product goes up. Higher risks, but for the prepared (and the lucky) organisations as well higher windfall profits ahead.
    ----

I know there are a few Seeka holders on this forum. Just wondering what your currently doing with your holdings?

I did a bit of reading last year of the predicted export market growth and decided to start building a small position. Bought a few thousand shares between 4.70 and 5.10 but when they reported the size of this years profit downgrade…I sold at 4.74 for a small loss to sit on the sidelines and watch.

Well I’m still watching but my spidey senses are tingling getting ready to buy in again.
    BUT…the shares are continuing to drop and the whole industry seems a bit negative at the moment. Zespri reducing amount of licence area and just appears in response to last season everyone’s just slowing down.

Seeka looks like it bit off a bit much and forgot to chew! The new packing expansion , labour issues, weather and failure to get some of their processing equipment working ahead of season was like a perfect storm but seem relatively short term issues which should not exist next season.

Just wondering what some of the longer term holders think and anyone with industry knowledge think about the next 5-10 yrs for the industry before my spidey senses get the better of me.

I guess the delayed decision on the dividend might be impacting the share price as well.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky View Post
    I know there are a few Seeka holders on this forum. Just wondering what your currently doing with your holdings?

I did a bit of reading last year of the predicted export market growth and decided to start building a small position. Bought a few thousand shares between 4.70 and 5.10 but when they reported the size of this years profit downgrade…I sold at 4.74 for a small loss to sit on the sidelines and watch.

Well I’m still watching but my spidey senses are tingling getting ready to buy in again.
    BUT…the shares are continuing to drop and the whole industry seems a bit negative at the moment. Zespri reducing amount of licence area and just appears in response to last season everyone’s just slowing down.

Seeka looks like it bit off a bit much and forgot to chew! The new packing expansion , labour issues, weather and failure to get some of their processing equipment working ahead of season was like a perfect storm but seem relatively short term issues which should not exist next season.

Just wondering what some of the longer term holders think and anyone with industry knowledge think about the next 5-10 yrs for the industry before my spidey senses get the better of me.

I guess the delayed decision on the dividend might be impacting the share price as well.

Well, I do hold some Seeka shares since 2018. Not sure, whether this qualifies me for a long term holder?

Clearly - there are some risks on the horizon, mainly related to climate change, but climate change offers as well opportunities. People will want fresh fruit in the future as well, and the producers who are able to provide it will have a profitable business.

They are somewhat diversified (re crops and regions), but this is certainly something they still could work on.

Their management is sound as far as I am concerned.

As any agricultural business are they cyclical, and buying in the lower parts of the cycle is normally a better investment than buying in the upper parts of the cycle.

Nobody can tell you, whether they already reached the bottom, and some will just echo the message of the current downtrend. However - as far as I am concerned its not the end of the world and the cycle will turn around - certainly at some stage, maybe now. Current SP is very low compared to the long term average - normally better to buy low and sell high, but who am I to say?

Anyway - it is your money and you need to decide for yourself :
    ----

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Perky View Post

I think you have covered the issues.
    I sold half our holding in June at $4.7392 and July at 4.71.
    Depending on results and out look, I may buy back the shares I sold.
    i doubt that the outlook will change for some time.
    Long term I like the sector and the company.
    Michael Franks is an excellent CEO.
    Last edited by percy; 03-11-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Dilettante

I think Perky and BlackPeter have covered the situation nicely. I've been investsed in SEK for over 10 years with various quanatities of shares, as I would like to have some exposure to this industry long term.
    I'm not sure I agree they've bit of more than they can chew but of course it takes time to get such fast expansion fully and successfully imbedded. I think it is more that they have had an "annus horribilis" with several weather related situations, lack of staff and the big one has been unexplained (so far) lack of fruit quality. Combined these have caused a major upset for the business and indeed the industry as a whole.

Discl: I sold half my holding in July and the other half a month ago. Will most likely enter the register again but feel this may be some time off yet