sharetrader
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What Sir Ron Brierley is up to these days

Now that he is retired, i thought it might be interesting to see what RB is investing in personally – as he is currently seems to be on a real buying spree.

So far, in the last couple of weeks, he has popped up as a SSH in the following:

CSE (takeover arbitrage opportunity) - 7% stake
    Holder of 9,872,118 shares at 15c

India Equities Limited (Cash up shell) – 15% stake
    Holder of 18 m shares at around 5.5c

These are both classic Brierley low risk corporate asset plays - and being small/micro-caps are a lot better suited to asset plays than some of the larger deals he was forced to take on, purely because of the size that BIL and then GPG had become.

Will see if he has still got it!
    Share prices follow earnings....buy EPS growth!!

Hi Stevo,

Mate, not sure who Sir Ron is, but is he somebody that you follow or buy if he buys?

Also, what is the code for India Equities Ltd? or is it not listed?

Last, what do you believe will happen, as in similar to those other shells that are back door plays?

Cheers~!
    --> Watch THRIVE 2011 a must watch Doco! --> Also watch ETHOS 2011 & share the Awareness~!

India Equities = INE on the ASX

Veteran novice

Mate, not sure who Sir Ron is, but is he somebody that you follow or buy if he buys?
    You're kidding, of course, drilly!

Ron B was certainly worth following about 40 or 50 years ago in the BIL heyday but unfortunately his, or at least GPG's picks havn't been doing the business in recent years. Of course, with RB's money one can afford a few extravagant punts!

Banned

Brierley destroyed companies. Look no further than Air NZ, the biggest corporate loss in NZ history. They got sycophants and yes men to do their dirty work.
    Last edited by Skol; 06-08-2011 at 05:29 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by drillfix View Post
    Hi Stevo,

Also, what is the code for India Equities Ltd? or is it not listed?

Last, what do you believe will happen, as in similar to those other shells that are back door plays?

Cheers~!
    Sir Ron was a brilliant analysis who brought under-valued asset rich companies. He made target companies sell under performing assets.He altered NZ and Australian sharemarkets,driving out "old" under performing directors/companies.
    If companies were asleep Brierly Investments,and later IEL [Australian based] woke them up with a takeover offer.The company grew too large and floundered with the takeover of UK hotel chain Mt Charlotte.It was only quick thinking by MD Bruce Hancock who saved BIL from going bellyup.Sir Ron then brought GPG from Brrierly Investments, and set about repeating his errors by ending up the owner of "past due date' Coats treads.GPG is now in "the wreckers yard "being dismanteled.He would be worth watching/following if he is investing on his own account.Should he be looking to takeover INE as his next vehicle I would leave it well alone.He knew which people to get rid of in target companies,but employed over paid underachievers ,who put their own interests before shareholders,in both Brrierly and GPG..His choices of Bruce Judge,Russell Goward,Gary Weiss was suspect.!His fellow directors left a lot to answer to,with all over loading themselves with options at sharehoders expense.
    Last edited by percy; 06-08-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Guru

Ron was nothing to do with BIL when they got involved with AirNZ. It was Cushing and Collins running the show then. They were able to destroy BIL as well. Clever b........s.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    You're kidding, of course, drilly!
    Nope Macduff, not kidding as I am not natively from Aus and dont really know every glory story ...lol.
    --> Watch THRIVE 2011 a must watch Doco! --> Also watch ETHOS 2011 & share the Awareness~!

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by drillfix View Post
    Nope Macduff, not kidding as I am not natively from Aus and dont really know every glory story ...lol.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, drilly.

As percy has posted, Sir Ron, then just Ron Brierley, commenced his activities in the 1960's publishing a share tip sheet and taking positions in under-valued companies, often with valuable real estate on their books at unrealistically low valuations. NZ's original company raider/rationaliser, initially persona non gratia with the business establishment and stock exchange which wouldn't list his company for many years. Grew to be NZ's biggest company by market cap at one stage but that was then this is now!

A fascinating story if you have the time to read it but I wouldn't be following his personal investment punts these days.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    but I wouldn't be following his personal investment punts these days.
    So you don't think CSE at 15c and INE at 5c is good buying?

They look like reasonably astute low downside / high upside plays to me!

I don't hold either, but I will follow them to see how they go.
    Share prices follow earnings....buy EPS growth!!