sharetrader
Page 31 of 324 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast
    percy

Yes.
    I gives the brokers time to get you on the share register.Usually it takes two or three days.
    You don't get the divie if you are not on the register.
    Should you be purchasing shares, make sure you ask your broker whether you get the divie or not.
    ie If you thought you were buying cum divie on the 20th you would have missed the divie.
    Last edited by percy; 23-06-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Hi, a newbie here. As a smaller player I have managed to use this holding to catch up on my PPL loses last year. Does anyone want to pick an exit price here for a short term holder?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTheClown View Post
    Hi Randomguy, welcome to the forum

First question - do you need to sell? If not, hold on to this winner until the story changes. Currency might drop to 72c over the next 6 months, this could rocket up even more.

Second question - I wouldn't view FPH as the stock that enabled you to catch up on PPL losses. Forget PPL. Forget those losses. Don't let past behaviour cloud future potential for a different stock. Your objective is to grow wealth, not catch up on previous losses, and if FPH is growing wealth then you shouldn't sell.

FPH looks like a winner because of the currency changes. Sell when the story changes or it is becomes grievously overvalued. Not sure what that is, because I don't know enough about the earnings growth for FPH, especially with the positive currency gains. But you'll know when everyone starts rushing into the stock at prices well above you've paid.... :-)

Well done on the FPH gains, and welcome again to the forum.
    I'd sell half. Then I would place a trailing stop loss on the rest to ensure your profits remain. You want to make sure your trailing stop loss is far enough away that you don't get knocked out of the trade with some volatility.

Just my opinion.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTheClown View Post
    Hi Randomguy, welcome to the forum

First question - do you need to sell? If not, hold on to this winner until the story changes. Currency might drop to 72c over the next 6 months, this could rocket up even more.

Second question - I wouldn't view FPH as the stock that enabled you to catch up on PPL losses. Forget PPL. Forget those losses. Don't let past behaviour cloud future potential for a different stock. Your objective is to grow wealth, not catch up on previous losses, and if FPH is growing wealth then you shouldn't sell.

FPH looks like a winner because of the currency changes. Sell when the story changes or it is becomes grievously overvalued. Not sure what that is, because I don't know enough about the earnings growth for FPH, especially with the positive currency gains. But you'll know when everyone starts rushing into the stock at prices well above you've paid.... :-)

Well done on the FPH gains, and welcome again to the forum.
    Randomguy,
    Welcome,I think Sparky has given you very sound advice.

Wow, thanks guys. I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time but not joined. I have no need to sell so will hold on and watch and learn as I go. Thanks.

Randomguy,

The key is finding a trading plan that suits your personality and circumstances. I like sparkey's plan,but it doesn't suit me.

That why this forum is so good for new people. Lots of options. I really need to concentrate on getting more funds to invest. Then look at the options of what stocks to buy. I am not dealing with meagbucks here but ALL funds are hard to save at the moment. As long as I am moving forward then its better than most. I think I will hold for now. Should I take dividends as cash or sign up to the reinvestment option?

Thanks, Im saving for the new stock pick. I want to have some diversification even if it is a few smaller holdings.

Quote Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
    Thanks, Im saving for the new stock pick. I want to have some diversification even if it is a few smaller holdings.
    Also remember: Don't invest funds that you can't afford to lose.

I've seen a number of people caught out after they invested funds that they should have put aside for other things (e.g. Medical costs).

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    Quality company, quality result, great long term hold
    average company, subscale vs larger competitor which continues to outperform in both sales and shareprice. Good theme behind it, and yes a good play on a weaker currency.

You want to know why FPH is going up look at Resmed share price.