sharetrader
Page 8 of 324 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Default Comments on chart.

Good on you for having a go, XX. Here are some comments on your chart - these should NOT be construed as criticisms!

About the chart itself :-
    (1) The MACD, Volume and Stochastic plots take up a lot of screen real estate, but you do not refer to them at all. IMO it would have been better to have left them out altogether.
    (2) The OBV provided very useful information, but was not mentioned.
    (3) The addition of a suitable moving average would add value - some people use them a lot and prefer them to trendlines.

Re your comments :-
    (1) "Seems to be resistance at 3.55 or thereabouts."
    The highs have been getting higher - 344, 350, 352, and 353. No clear resistance level there.
    (2) "The preliminary uptrend also seems to have broken."
    Not so. FPH is still in an uptrend, still making higher highs and higher lows. To break the uptrend and become a downtrend, it would first have to make a high lower than 353, then, having done that, it would have to close below 345. That's a lower low after a lower high.

What you are talking about here is the break of the trendline. This is not a positive event, but it is not the same as a break in the trend itself.

A new FPH chart here. I'm not terribly sure what to make of the trendless OBV and the second trendline break. Friday's closing price was bang on 345.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

also bearish divergence on the macd , prices printed higher in sept but peak of macd lower then previous peak in aug

Advanced Member

The OBV does not confirm the uptrend and is certainly not Bullish, but FPH has nevertheless risen over 7% in 2 months (equivalent to 42% pa) and is still in an uptrend. You have to give stocks a bit of room to breathe at the start of an uptrend and allow them time to settle down - especially when the market as a whole is unsettled.

XC, I notice that you have highlighted an MACD "Sell" signal. Do you think this would be worth acting on? I certainly don't - here's why :-
    Over the short period covered by your chart, the MACD indicator has fired off no less than 11 "Sell" signals (and 11 "Buy" signals). Of these 11 trades, 9 resulted in losses! Clearly the MACD is a very poorly performing indicator with FPH and its use is actively counterproductive. If we go back over the last 3 years, we find that the MACD has signalled 30 trades, of which only 8 were profitable. Simply holding FPH over this period would have given a 15% gain, while trading FPH using MACD signals would have resulted in a 30% loss over the same period! With a track record that bad, I see no point at all in using this indicator with FPH. Colby and Meyers "Encyclopedia of Technical Market Indicators" identifies MACD as a relatively poor performer. I don't use it at all.

i think with indicators it does come down to personal preference

however i like a good divergence , its the only signal i take from macd but its worth a look for confirmation of other signals

there was a triple divergence on the dec 06 top and jul 07 bottom

Advanced Member

If FPH is in an uptrend then i would hate to see what a downtrend looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    If FPH is in an uptrend then i would hate to see what a downtrend looked like.
    Ratkin

The up trend was confirmed today by the closing price being lower than the opening price.

Can't you see it?
    Toddy

Guru

The Dow has got excited last night with Buffet buying activity with Bear Stearns Co Inc.

As Buffet is a FA man I had a look at the graph to see it from a TA perspective.
    The BSC 5 yr chart looked very familiar and resembles Phaedrus' FPH charts posted recently.
    Very Spooky, as the two are dammed nearly identical.

Similarities
    Short accelerated uptrend broken,
    Followed by... a rally towards a double peak(sort of ) then fall back to enter a trading range where the long term uptrend line is breached
    Followed by... a break (down) of the trading range into a steep downtrend
    Followed by...Downtrend halted and price respects the resistance set over 18 months ago
    Followed by a recent slow uptrend

If I was more tech savy I would've got the two charts together to display..but sadly no .
    Maybe Phaedrus ? or xxamr corpxx

Advanced Member

Default FPH/BSC Chart

Here you are, Hoop.

I guess when you boil it all down, Warren and I are looking for the same thing. He wants a company that has shown steady earnings growth over the years - I want a stock in a longterm uptrend. He wants a company that offers good relative "value" - I want a stock that has undergone a recent significant (>30%) retracement. We both want a stock that offers turnaround potential.

Guru

Thanks Phaedrus

I can't believe how similar the 2 are, especially over a long term of at least 5 years.

I suppose a part from it being a curiosity piece there probably not much else to get out of it

I think I will save it as a picture file ... might print it and frame it