I've always preferred small-cap, dividend stocks, including on the ASX. However, dealing with these seems to gradually get more difficult.

A few years ago, the National Bank introduced a $5 charge for banking overseas cheques (one charge for any number of cheques). Now this has been extended to $15 for no more than 3 cheques. In addition, the time spent standing at the counter while these are processed is mounting up... easily a twenty minute job to bank 5 or 6 cheques at a time. I frequently post cheques to a full-service broker, although they also charge a fee for processing (not sure the actual amount at present) - and this is usually the best option, but costs still mount.

Spreads on FX at the banks are difficult to check regularly, but seem to have widened considerably over the years - I remember them being around 0.8%, but would usually be 1.5-2.0% these days.

My latest issue has been receiving the usual registry letters wanting an Aussie bank account details, but now seem to be saying that they are not going to issue cheques at all - no bank account, no dividend, although it is possible to get the DRP. Taking the DRP is an option, but I prefer not to due to the difficulty of selling between ex-div and payment date - i.e. end up with an unmarketable parcel if this happens.

I have looked at opening an ANZ Australian bank account on line but have been advised that I will be unable to access the funds in it unless I turn up in Australia to verify my identity. I guess this could be worth it, but I don't have any particular desire or other reason to take a trip to Australia at the moment - particularly taking off time during the week to do so. (It is also likely to be difficult to open one for some types of accounts such as an Estate.)

The other option would be to go to custodial arrangement with a phone broker, but then have to incur much higher brokerage and 0.25% pa custodial fee.

Am wondering if anyone has any other clever suggestions that I haven't tried yet to reduce costs?