sharetrader
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Handsome Member

Would have thought RBD would have featured on there.... u still a holder or sold out as well?

What percentage of cash are you guys holding at the moment? I have about 60-40 split in favour of shares and I'm tempted to buy some of the more conservative stocks for the dividend yields, but i'm just wary of being too heavy in shares.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by LAC View Post
    Would have thought RBD would have featured on there.... u still a holder or sold out as well?
    Maybe you are right and RBD should be there.Great story.
    I unfortunately sold,however The Trust I help out, still holds.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan View Post
    What percentage of cash are you guys holding at the moment? I have about 60-40 split in favour of shares and I'm tempted to buy some of the more conservative stocks for the dividend yields, but i'm just wary of being too heavy in shares.
    Once a year for the past four years I have had a big sell down and go big on cash.
    Last one was a few months ago when I was looking to save a friend's business.
    In the end I was not called on,and my friend lost his business,however I did raise the money to have on hand, in two days.That was a lot of money,and included selling Australian shares.
    Cash.We have enough to live on for a year or two,we both receive super as well.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan View Post
    I have asked that question for a while. People believe a market crash is imminent (which it is), but when 2018-2050? Currently I am almost fully into Shares as I feel the crash is not yet upon us.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Sorry I forgot about this thread.Lets start afresh.
    Objectives;
    Time frame 4 to 5 years
    The portfolio is looking for dividend yield of 3% pa with the capacity to grow to 6% to 8%.
    Low churn.......
    My Left Field take on this is that 'Dividend Yield' is not always the 'best investment' strategy. Since 2013 I've been taking a contrary Left Field view, one more akin to that espoused by Jim Slater in his book 'The Zulu principle.' My key objective has been to grow my portfolio by Tax Free Capital Gains.

I've been investing in stocks where above average growth in earnings (EPS) is foremost while dividend yield (if any) is much less important. Examples are; ATM, PPH, SKO, XRO and THL. In 2017 I added RBC and ALF to my portfolio and expect these to shine in the future. I aim to hold for 3-5 years. By taking a longer term view, I am also less concerned about finding 'tops' and 'bottoms' as buying/selling opportunities. However I do use TA charts to find entry/exit points and rate TA equal with FA in my analysis. I always aim to find shares that will outperform the NZX 50.

To date, my average return, mainly from capital gains (yes, unrealised) has been north of 80% pa.

In terms of weighting I keep enough cash in the bank to allow me to live for 3 to 5 yrs without any return from my other share and property investments.
    Last edited by Leftfield; 07-01-2018 at 04:32 PM.

percy

[QUOTE=percy;382887]I think I am like most posters on sharetrader;worried a lot of stocks are very expensive,hard to find under valued stocks,scared to sell anything,because bank returns are very low.

Above posted 10-10-2012.
    Some things just get harder..lol

Left Field.Great results.Jim Slater changed my way of investing too.I did forget to say that as well as dividend growth,I was expecting share price growth as well.All the shares I quoted, I would expect to double within the next four or five years,driven by eps growth.
    Last edited by percy; 08-01-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    I have asked that question for a while. People believe a market crash is imminent (which it is), but when 2018-2050? Currently I am almost fully into Shares as I feel the crash is not yet upon us.
    I have a little cash in for when the markets head south, but I have been waiting for the crash to come last 6 months or so, and still waiting.

Outside thinking.

Percy - thank you. I suspect I have been lucky, particularly with ATM. That said, the harder I work at share investing the luckier I get!.

BTW along the way, your posts have been a great help. I recall one where you revealed your 'ILFS strategy' (ie Buy 2000 shares at $1, when they move to $3, sell 1000 shares and you are left with 1,000 (Free) shares worth $3k and a further $3000 to invest elsewhere.) I Love Free Stuff too!

Waikare - IMHO, you may be left 'waiting' for a long time. Best to take little steps and build-up slowly. Using Percy's ILFS strategy will help protect you should a downside event happen.

Left Field - as someone who's very near retirement, I guess your approach would work for someone in my position if you were able to have 3-5 years of cash held aside to cover living costs in the event of market crash. And that's a choice I do have but my concern would be something major happening where I'm forever looking for a return to previous heights that subsequently doesn't look like happening, as compared with the dividend strategy and comfort of knowing that I have still solid dividend paying stocks that maintain the lifestyle potentially forever, and I can let my kids worry about the share price in due course (hopefully a long time away).