sharetrader
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Agreed Winner. I was looking at a small holding covering quite a few stocks I don't personally own giving a reasonable dividend, but as Jonboyz says, (and my point to the Smart Shares people), no point being in a dividend fund that has a real non-performer in there at present.
    Yep. Back to normal investing for me-mind you, I've made some howlers.............

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
    Agreed Winner. I was looking at a small holding covering quite a few stocks I don't personally own giving a reasonable dividend, but as Jonboyz says, (and my point to the Smart Shares people), no point being in a dividend fund that has a real non-performer in there at present.
    Yep. Back to normal investing for me-mind you, I've made some howlers.............
    The thing is Grimy, out of a diversified portfolio (you could well argue that div fund is) you are always going to have howlers. In hindsight it is easy to say (should not have FBU in there) however we were not to know that one year ago when it was performing formidably. Look to your own portfolio and see the non performers... (why did you add them in the first place?) Not trying to be nit picky but it can be easier in hindsight. The good thing with the ETF's is that you also get the performers that you otherwise may not have picked either. But yes you cannot just sell when you feel like selling a stock, so I agree that its better to have your own portfolio for more control.

Have some ETF's myself but they are a small % of portfolio.

Veteran novice

Yes, blackcap, and as the manager states, as a passive fund they look to mirror a specific index. Until FBU get dropped from that index, presumably through non-payment of dividends, they will continue to hold the FBU positrion.

Disc: Not holding.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Until FBU get dropped from that index, presumably through non-payment of dividends, they will continue to hold the FBU positrion.
    I am not sure you guys have this right. FBU have indicated they will not be paying the next dividend that would have been expected. They have not said what is happening to dividends beyond that. I would expect the dividends to resume (maybe not at historic levels though), provided that the lenders are satisfied with the company's capital position (which they seem to be).

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Guru

Today is a case in point of the advantages of holding an index fund. I do not hold any ATM in my personal account, but because I do hold it inadvertently in the FNZ fund I get to reap the benefit of today's absolute savaging. This is more than enough to offset the FBU drop and then some.

Noticed that 1 seller dumped nearly 5 million shares on close at 5 year low.
    I wonder if that was the div fund?