sharetrader
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

my understanding is that conversely if you are subject to FIF but you earned less than the 5% imputed return then if you actually declare what you did get then you pay tax on that and not the 5%. So as long as you're prepared to do the return accurately the 5% doesnt necessarily have to be paid.

(Discl - not tax advice)
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Default Latest IRD guide to the FIF scheme

http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/7/6...dd2d/ir461.pdf
    Before anyone asks, NO, I am not going to answer any questions about this. If you have any questions after reading this you should consult your accountant.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    my understanding is that conversely if you are subject to FIF but you earned less than the 5% imputed return then if you actually declare what you did get then you pay tax on that and not the 5%. So as long as you're prepared to do the return accurately the 5% doesnt necessarily have to be paid.

(Discl - not tax advice)
    Known as the CV method of calculation.

If you use the IRD calculator it will come up with the lower amount to pay of the FDR or the CV. It is a bloody hard calculator to use so I just do the calculation manually.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by morphs View Post
    I used to try and avoid FIF because I didn't understand it. It seemed complex and scary. But once I understood it, it's actually pretty straightforward. In some cases it is a big advantage. For example, if you own Aussie unit trusts, they must distribute all their capital gains every year on June 30th. If they have a good year that could be a significant distribution. If you are outside FIF (under 50K) you will have to pay tax on the full distribution as income but if you account for it under FIF (FDR), you only pay tax on 5% of the opening value no matter what the distributions are.
    At least I am not the only one that sees it this way. I would hate for it to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Known as the CV method of calculation.

If you use the IRD calculator it will come up with the lower amount to pay of the FDR or the CV. It is a bloody hard calculator to use so I just do the calculation manually.
    Yes, that is right. Under FIF, the maximum gain that is taxable is 5%. Anything less than that, you use the CV method.

Default Death tax only for estated >$5.49m

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    It's always a good idea to try to not die anyway but refer to Voltage's comments below from the Should I actively avoid FIF investments thread.
    A casual look at estate taxes on inheritances shows that it is only on amounts more than $5.49 million that are taxed. Source:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleae.../#76bb82453b70

Unless there is a seperate tax for overseas investors who die.?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    A casual look at estate taxes on inheritances shows that it is only on amounts more than $5.49 million that are taxed. Source:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleae.../#76bb82453b70

Unless there is a seperate tax for overseas investors who die.?
    There most certainly is: http://perkinsaccounting.com/u-s-est...-us-decedents/ If you were lucky enough to die with, say, $1M in US assets, they would tax $940,000 of it at 40%. So, a tax payable of US$376,000. Nice.
    Last edited by morphs; 15-01-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Interesting to see that the Vanguard US Total Market Shares Index ETF on the ASX (VTS) and the Vanguard All-World ex-US Shares Index ETF (ASX code VEU) both list US estate tax as potentially being applicable even though the prospectus for each states "For the avoidance of doubt, Vanguard US Total Market Shares Index ETF securities are not intended to be sold to US Persons as defined under Regulation S of the US federal securities laws."

Fph at buying price at the moment. May get slightly cheaper.

Also scl a good bet with better than bank div.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Fph at buying price at the moment. May get slightly cheaper.

Also scl a good bet with better than bank div.
    Bought a wee few FPH today for long term hold. As you said it may still go down...