sharetrader
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

I think I might follow you more Pery. I have most of what you have but about 1/4 of my portfolio invested on the US which is doing my head in. I don't understand why it's so volatile despite solid earnings and a benign economy.

Veteran novice

One reason would be that the wider US market is still trading above longterm average P/E's, despite recent falls - and in "nervous" times.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    So how are we tracking in these "volatile" markets?
    AWK.$3.30......today $3.98.
    EBO.$11.79........" ...$13.78.
    FRE.$5.55..........."...$6.26.
    MEL.$2.23..........."...$2.35.
    RYM.$7.38..........."...$8.08.
    SKL.$1.34............'..$1.46
    HNZ,$1.13Now HBL.$1.26
    SCL.$1.98.........Today$2.25
    SEK.$3.35..........."..$3.65
    TIL.$1.52............"..$2.85.
    In the meantime we have enjoyed some excellent divies.From memory MEL,RYM,SKL,and SCL.
    So no need for any changes.Steady as she goes.
    Well the reporting season is about to start.
    At this stage I am expecting,good solid results from the companies in the portfolio.Maybe SCL will be the surprise
    Will look to update after the results.

Handsome Member

I think EBO and SCL will both have better than expected results

Investor / Wizard / Mall Santa Pricey's Avatar

26th of Feb will be a fantastic day, both AIR and SCL results out. TIL and THL will perform strongly too. Plenty to be happy about outside of tech.
    "His loyalty couldn't be bought at any price; but it could be rented remarkably cheaply."

Investor

Its 25th for both AIR (1H) and SCL (FY) by the way...

We have clear breaks below the 100 day MA for good stocks that should be benefiting from the lower $Kiwi like NZR and SKL. Technical investors will be concerned and I am too. What we are seeing here is evidence "the bear" appears to have real teeth and claws. I think a decent sized cash allocation isn't a bad thing during uncertain times like this.
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-02-2016 at 09:44 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    We have clear breaks below the 100 day MA for good stocks that should be benefiting from the lower $Kiwi like NZR and SKL. Technical investors will be concerned and I am too. What we are seeing here is evidence "the bear" appears to have real teeth and claws. I think a decent sized cash allocation isn't a bad thing during uncertain times like this.
    SKL drop could be because their main markets are oil and dairy?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    The next four years.
    We will drop the following,ABA,not sure of future prospects,AWF I have doubts they will achieve the eps growth they are wanting,POT,seems to have lower eps growth than what I want. TUA were taken over by TNR and because of their high debt I have replaced them with HNZ.Having grown our capital by over 80% I think we can add a couple of extra companies to our solid diversified portfolio.
    AWK.$3.30.Supplying freight planes to growing sector.Lower NZ $ will help earnings .
    EBO.$11.78.Retain as reasons for buying remain intact.Well managed,in the growing health sector.
    FRE.$5.55.Retain as reasons for buying remain intact.Well managed in growing express parcel sector.Internet sales must be delivered quickly.
    MEL,$2.23,replaces POT.Low capex with high depreciation means strong cash flow resulting in high dividends.Low capital growth.
    RYM.$7.38.Retain as reasons for buying remain.Best operator in the growing retirement sector.
    SKL.$1.34,Retain as reasons for buying remain.Most earnings are outside NZ.Lower NZ$ will boast earnings.
    HNZ.$1.13.Growing bank achieving what they say they will do.Strong balance sheet,modest ratios and growing dividend.
    SCL.$1.98.Apples and coolstores.More profitable varieties coming through.Exporter,well managed.Room for growth.
    SEK.$3.35.Kiwi fruit making a strong recovery from PSA.Growth prospects here and Australia make growth prospects interesting.
    TIL,$1.52,Trilogy beauty products are of a high standard.Company is poised for higher growth with exports.

The portfolio is looking for dividend yield of 3% to 4% with the capacity to grow to 6% to 8% p.a over the next four years.It may not achieve over 80% capital growth,but you never know with "very good" shares.They usually surprise on the upside.

disc.I do not own FRE,although a trust I am involved with does.The rest I hold.
    The reporting season.
    TIL will not report until May.
    Our portfolio has seen our companies report excellent results,and a lot of increased dividends.Solid outlooks,although FRE are cautious.
    My only concern was SKL's flat result with uncertain outlook.I therefore sold.Will retain on my watch list, and will most probably buy in again when they report a good result.
    Interestingly Chairman Sir Selywn Cushing has been adding to his holding.I think his record of astute investing is a lot superior than mine.

Any new leads for things that will go well this year? Hopefully I'll have some money coming my way in the next few months, so that'd be good to invest.

Currently the only thing that looks promising is VHP as a long term or SCL as a short term ready for when they announce that profit went up 10% at the end of 2016 due to larger apples and business growth, etc.

Sometimes the NZX feel like such a small playground compared to the foreign markets