sharetrader

Default How to elect MPs you can trust

Supplementary is the way to go.

It's a hybrid between MMP and FPP.

It restricts the number of list MPs so you can avoid the Alamein Kopus, Sue Bradfords, Nandor Tanczos,Keith Locke & &.

People I have discussed it with agree its the best system but the trouble is people are not swotting up the alternatives and voting with their head.
    So the detestable MMP gets back by default.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Supplementary is the way to go.

It's a hybrid between MMP and FPP.

It restricts the number of list MPs so you can avoid the Alamein Kopus, Sue Bradfords, Nandor Tanczos,Keith Locke & &.
    No you can't. They can still get in provided they get a high spot on the list. I reckon those nutter types have mainly disappeared as we settle into the idea of list parties. Sure we might get the odd dead-beat, but that's the price of democracy - anyone can have a go. I like MMP although it's taken me a long time to accept it. SMP for second choice, but forget the others. Most NZers can name more all blacks from a small list of 30, than they can name politicians, even from the party they support. How on earth could they rank them?

Advanced Member

The only real way to avoid electing politicians that you cannot trust is to stay in bed on election day.

Default Dont need MP's anymore

my crazy thinking is that just as the internet upsets traditional business it could also upset traditional political representation. the purpose of an MP is to represent their electorate (which they rarely do but that is beside the point). With the easy availability of secure online voting we can now represent ourselves. Votes wont be cast once every three years though - we could now have a constant stream of referendums deciding most if not all issues. All we need are bureaucrats to create the questions and count the votes. Imagine each week being able to vote on half a dozen or so issues. Sure the questions are important and how they are phrased etc but the quality of democracy could be raised substantially.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Advanced Member

This is more or less what the Swiss do - how many people do you know who could name the swiss Prime Minister, or any Swiss politician for that matter? Not as many as the suggested half a dozen each week but a few issues every year.
    Last edited by craic; 11-10-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    This is more or less what the Swiss do - how many people do you know who could name the swiss Prime Minister, or any Swiss politician for that matter? Not as many as the suggested half a dozen each week but a few issues every year.
    Agree with you craic.. Check this one out .. Their one hundred day rule ( law )

http://100daystodemocracy.wordpress.com/the-concept/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    my crazy thinking is that just as the internet upsets traditional business it could also upset traditional political representation. the purpose of an MP is to represent their electorate (which they rarely do but that is beside the point). With the easy availability of secure online voting we can now represent ourselves. Votes wont be cast once every three years though - we could now have a constant stream of referendums deciding most if not all issues. All we need are bureaucrats to create the questions and count the votes. Imagine each week being able to vote on half a dozen or so issues. Sure the questions are important and how they are phrased etc but the quality of democracy could be raised substantially.
    Hi Peat, are you suggesting that with the advent of the internet it would be very cheap to hold a "referendum" online, so the voting and counting would be done online... and then whatever the outcome that becomes law? Ie instead of parliament voting on a new bill, the public get to vote on a new bill?
    That would be democracy in its purest form and it would be cheap enough to administer. All you would need is for everyone in this country to have a log in linked to say their IRD number and then use that as their voting platform. Would be a brilliant idea. Cannot see the existing politicians giving up their power and jobs if they can help it though.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Hi Peat, are you suggesting that with the advent of the internet it would be very cheap to hold a "referendum" online, so the voting and counting would be done online... and then whatever the outcome that becomes law? Ie instead of parliament voting on a new bill, the public get to vote on a new bill?
    That would be democracy in its purest form and it would be cheap enough to administer.

And terrifying. Listen to talkback and ask yourself if you want the hoi-polloi running the show.

Well of course you initially have to ask yourself whether you want democracy or not - that is another question.

My point is that the current system is just a rort for so called ministerial representatives to make money for something which is no longer necessary (political representation). With a revamp of the system to include modern technology we can all represent ourselves.

If Google can street view the world we can collect opinions from the electorate - right?
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    And terrifying. Listen to talkback and ask yourself if you want the hoi-polloi running the show.
    FP, as much as that would also frighten me, everyone is equal and has the right to their point of view no matter how misguided it may seem to you or I. Because to them the thought of "us" running the show would also seem terrifying