sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Don't do this to yourself EL Z. The media, after 24 hours of saying it's a Nats certainty, are filling up column inches with every conceivable angle they can think of. Of course Peters would rail against the Nats pre-election. He was in opposition!

This is Winston's legacy moment. I reckon he'll demand an Epsom type deal for Shane Jones in Northland to ensure NZ First survives his retirement. Winston is by nature a moral conservative, the only like mind in Labour or the Greens would be Damien O'connor. You won't find him snuggling up to Labour and the Greens any time soon.
    You can't blame me for some optimism. Anyway it's all up to Winston, and many of his supporters are saying don't go to National and waste their vote. They voted for change.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Don't do this to yourself EL Z. The media, after 24 hours of saying it's a Nats certainty, are filling up column inches with every conceivable angle they can think of. Of course Peters would rail against the Nats pre-election. He was in opposition!

This is Winston's legacy moment. I reckon he'll demand an Epsom type deal for Shane Jones in Northland to ensure NZ First survives his retirement. Winston is by nature a moral conservative, the only like mind in Labour or the Greens would be Damien O'connor. You won't find him snuggling up to Labour and the Greens any time soon.
    You're right about O'Connor. Everytime he says something he sounds like he's got stuck in the rwong party. That aside, this negotiation nonsense is a charade. Winston knows full well who he will select to govern already.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    You can't blame me for some optimism. Anyway it's all up to Winston, and many of his supporters are saying don't go to National and waste their vote. They voted for change.
    I agree with you EZ that its all up to Winston and his personal baubles. After all, that's what he is all about. He ran his election campaign on being the saviour of the regions. National won 24 of the 26 regional electorates. That makes it clear where NZF should go. But I now hope he goes with the losers on the left, Labour and the Greens. It will last maximum 10-12 months after which we will have another election when both Greens and NZF would be wiped out. That would be ideal.
    Last edited by iceman; 27-09-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Addition

Guru

Just quickly on where the market thinks he will go. Its heating up there too. On Monday morning National was trading at 1.08 and Labour at $12.00.

2 days on and its National at $1.45 and Labour at $3.20 so odds have tightened sharply. I don't know what those people on Monday were thinking... Glad I got plenty on Labour at 12 and even some at 14's and have now traded most off for a good profit.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I agree with you EZ that its all up to Winston and his personal baubles. After all, that's what he is all about. He ran his election campaign on being the saviour of the regions. National won 24 of the 26 regional electorates. That makes it clear where NZF should go. But I now hope he goes with the losers on the left, Labour and the Greens. It will last maximum 10-12 months after which we will have another election when both Greens and NZF would be wiped out. That would be ideal.

There are 71 electorates of which Labour won 29.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Yes and 26 of the 71 are classed as "regional" rather than city electorates according to an article I read somewhere yesterday. Peters was fighting hard in the regional electorates but National won nearly all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    ...and National won 41

Pretty resounding victory on that basis eh
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    ...and National won 41

Pretty resounding victory on that basis eh
    And as NZ first is neither left or right, and has no stated position, gives no certainty to his voters, he can side with left who won 41.7% or the right who won 46.5%.
    Prertty resounding victory on that basis too.
    As Peter Shirtcliffe tried to point out MMP in this form can throw up a result less representative than the old FPP system.
    So as far as electoral systems go, we just aint got the right one yet.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 27-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.