sharetrader
    Membaa

The best thing about Jacinda apart from reenvigorating the Labour Party is that win or lose she's got time on her side, like Helen had. If she takes the win or takes the loss on the chin, and stays the course, it seems inevitable that one day she will be Prime Minister. That if nothing else will galvanise the National party, though I think inevitability will prevail, if not this time, eventually.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Red face Fell asleep before she got in the car

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    This IS how you should do "Let's do this":

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    The best thing about Jacinda apart from reenvigorating the Labour Party is that win or lose she's got time on her side, like Helen had. If she takes the win or takes the loss on the chin, and stays the course, it seems inevitable that one day she will be Prime Minister. That if nothing else will galvanise the National party, though I think inevitability will prevail, if not this time, eventually.
    I am wondering if the Jacinda effect has meant that Labour has peaked too soon? They should have waited another few weeks....before replacing Little. After the election, if they lose, I think she would stay as leader of the opposition and have a good chance of winning the next one.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    This IS how you should do "Let's do this":

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Oops, I see the slogan has been used before, but that's OK. I'm not a great fan of reggae myself, it might not have a big appeal all through NZ. Far better would be a new campaign theme song from one of our brilliant NZ composers like Don McGlashan (Anchor Me etc) or for attack songs, Darren Watson (Planet Key). Many arty people are lefties, for good reason. I hope some of them can make a big difference in the few weeks that are left for campaigning.

Shortcut to Labour's announced policies.
    Last edited by elZorro; 23-08-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Very good analysis here, NZH, Andrew Dickens.
    The new direction stance is seductive because it's based on feelings. A feeling that things can be better, so let's give someone different a crack.

The question I've been asked by many people lately is "do you think Labour can win?".

The answer is they have a better chance than they've had for near enough a decade.

Labour and Jacinda Ardern might scrape into power as long as they don't speak about policy and keep the feeling of change rolling for another month.

I thought the "lipstick on a pig" controversy was manipulated magnificently by the left, keeping the focus on feelings and not facts. Gareth Morgan's message was vote on policies not personalities. Fair enough. But the debate became centred on the second part of his tweet, which was a mildly offensive mis-placed euphemism. Was the left really horrified by the phrase? Or were the howls of outrage just noise to cover Labour's Achilles heel of policy?

Yesterday in The PM Job Interview broadcast on nzherald.co.nz, Ardern kept well away from policy.

Guru

Wow.... 1.69 available on National now. Putting that into % chances that means National are now a 59% chance to win the election.

2 weeks ago they were at 1.30 or a 77% chance to win the election. Things change quickly....

IMO

Racetrack was firm now its heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Racetrack was firm now its heavy

.....but still quite a few hurdles to jump before the finishing post
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

What now for Dunne's seat? The greens seem to have abandoned their deal not to stand, and the no 27 on the list is now standing in the electorate. He doesn't want anyone to vote for him and says he's only after the party vote. Is he mad? Someone obviously doesn't know how the 2 votes work. Be funny if he split the vote and National won the seat. I can't follow the logic, and can only assume he's a loose canon and thrown his name in without the party's approval. Should be good for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    What now for Dunne's seat? The greens seem to have abandoned their deal not to stand, and the no 27 on the list is now standing in the electorate. He doesn't want anyone to vote for him and says he's only after the party vote. Is he mad? Someone obviously doesn't know how the 2 votes work. Be funny if he split the vote and National won the seat. I can't follow the logic, and can only assume he's a loose canon and thrown his name in without the party's approval. Should be good for a laugh.
    Some where there must be a seat calculator. If greens manage to scavange enough votes here to get over 5% and labour dont win the seat but national does what is the net impact on Parliament. Presumably the Green vote would be at the expense of the labour vote reducing labours overall seat potential.

Seems to me Greens are desperate for every 0.1% of the vote even if it means destroying the relationship with your potential partner.

Which only serves to confirm my prejudice that they are nothing but a bunch of snouts looking for a trough