sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'm worried about the sanity of you two.. I guess we have a difference of opinion there.

Here's one aspect of coalition policy that is great, more public service broadcasting funds. RNZ will get a fair chunk of it, since the culture at TVNZ is fairly commercial now.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...r-broadcasting

Maybe we'll get something that is even better than TVNZ 7, the channel National scrapped.

Coincidentally, John Campbell has just won a big overseas award for Presenter of the Year, with Checkpoint.

Obviously I'm hoping for the best from this govt. as I do with every NZ govt. But making Clare Curran the minister of anything at all is not a good indication of the 'talent' that Jacinda says she has in bucketsfull.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 03-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.

I'm worried about the sanity of you two.. I guess we have a difference of opinion there.
    No problems with my sanity and no differenc iof opiion. Its simpley I'm right and you're not

Here's one aspect of coalition policy that is great, more public service broadcasting funds. RNZ will get a fair chunk of it, since the culture at TVNZ is fairly commercial now.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...r-broadcasting

Maybe we'll get something that is even better than TVNZ 7, the channel National scrapped.

Coincidentally, John Campbell has just won a big overseas award for Presenter of the Year, with Checkpoint.
    While I agree TVNZ7 was a good channel the world has moved on from the 50's - 70's when public service broadcasting had its place. Since then broadcasting is not the issue - there is no shortage of news services / wires and sources of current information. The major issue is an individuals ability to discern the truth free from bias.

Given the increase in mindless media (I'm pointing at TVone, 2 3 and Bravo etc here) I think it is safe to assume the general population is failing at any sort of critical thinking.

Which is excellent for public service broadcasting who can feed that empty head with whatever the state wants to fill it with. And that's a dangerous place to be.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I think it is safe to assume the general population is failing at any sort of critical thinking.
    and a lot of them voted National - just proves your point.
    Last edited by dobby41; 03-11-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    and a lot of them votes National - just proves your point.
    I think your post is a better example of proving my point.

Legend

It's hard to miss these figures, a ballooning shortfall in housing supply under National's rein, particularly in Auckland.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ll-in-auckland

Of course National MPs refused to admit this while they were in office. The data doesn't lie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elZorro; 04-11-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Guru

It's hard to miss these figures, a ballooning shortfall in housing supply under National's rein, particularly in Auckland.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ll-in-auckland

Of course National MPs refused to admit this while they were in office. The data doesn't lie.
    Just imagine how bad it will be in 3 years time with Twyford's input.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Just imagine how bad it will be in 3 years time with Twyford's input.
    Yep, we'll have to look at this graph again each year. Like NZ's Crown debt under Labour in their last term, I'm sure it'll be trending in the right direction for once.

Yep, we'll have to look at this graph again each year. Like NZ's Crown debt under Labour in their last term, I'm sure it'll be trending in the right direction for once.

probably need to change the assumptions around average number of people per dwelling to make it look better

the number they are using now is a bit low I reckon
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    probably need to change the assumptions around average number of people per dwelling to make it look better

the number they are using now is a bit low I reckon
    Do I detect a bit of cynicism W69? I suppose they could preside over a period of net emigration, that would help too. But there was no jiggery-pokey of the net debt figures surely, under the Clark government. They paid the debt down, substantially. At the same time the economy was growing robustly.

If anyone is to be accused of juggling figures, it could be the National government, who picked up the benefit of new Stats NZ rules which changed the terms on what 'unemployment' means. This took effect nicely before the 2017 elections.

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2016/07/s...nemployed.html

Also, now, employment means one hour or more worked per week, and in some cases it doesn't have to be paid either. Two part-timers (work less than 30 hours per week) are classed as the equivalent of one full-timer in Stats NZ figures.
    Last edited by elZorro; 04-11-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Regardless of which party is in power the Government of the day needs to start thinking outside the square as other countries have done. Not everybody needing a house needs a 2 or 3 bedroom traditional style house. There are plenty of single people (both young and old) who would be very happy with a “tiny house.” We need to be looking at some of the initiatives from the UK and even the US, and establishing tiny house villages. They do not need to look like “little boxes on the hillside.” There are many many different styles and sizes of tiny house. These could be built for a mere fraction of the cost of traditional houses and would be ideal for people like me (57, divorced, living in my caravan full time as a way of escaping the rent trap I’ve been stuck in for 13 years). Perfect for the homeless, young singles or couples and in many cases even single older folk.

I am not saying this would solve the entire housing problem but it would sure be a quick and efficient way of providing effective and attractive/pleasant homes for a great many people. Imagine how many tiny homes could be built for the cost of a traditional Auckland house? Think how many could be built in one week.

We need to think smarter.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 04-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.