sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The weird thing is Jacinda's gummint are going to consider it.
    But they aren't going to consider the home or inheritance tax - two excellent places for hiding and distributing wealth (and clogging up the housing market)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    But they aren't going to consider the home or inheritance tax - two excellent places for hiding and distributing wealth (and clogging up the housing market)
    And they still believe taking GST off fruit and vegetables will make them cheaper.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    And they still believe taking GST off fruit and vegetables will make them cheaper.
    Wouldn't they have to take GST out of the whole value chain for it to be "cheaper"?

i.e. the grower charges GST to the wholesaler who charges GST to the distributor who charges GST to the supermarket, who suddenly won't be able to charge GST to the consumer? So the retail price will go up 15% to compensate for the loss of GST and the Tax equation is out of whack on the cash flow and balance sheet which adds another complicated dimension, i.e. pay GST to the distributer but get no GST from the consumer, GST owing goes up.

If it was easy and carried no political risk it would have been done years ago. It isn't easy and Labour's in-the-pocket tax advisory committee are going to have their work cut out coming up with something that doesn't get Labour chucked out of government at the next election, or earlier.

Labour sure do seem determined to crack open every chestnut. Can't see it working out well for them.

It wasnt weird - i understood it.
    It was weird.

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    It was weird.

westerly
    Its been said I'm not the sharpest knife in the cabbage patch but I got it. Its a bit like a joke - if you don't get it, it looses its sense if you have to explain it.

Legend

Its been said I'm not the sharpest knife in the cabbage patch but I got it. Its a bit like a joke - if you don't get it, it looses its sense if you have to explain it.
    FP's right, no-one should tamper with GST. (Not my line, BTW).

Doublethink is an interesting concept (Orwell)

Labour Government doublethinking?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Dilettante

National's good record for wage and salary earners confirmed https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...s-and-salaries

"Labour and income statistics manager Sean Broughton said in October that the ratio of housing costs to household income had not changed significantly."

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    National's good record for wage and salary earners confirmed https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...s-and-salaries

"Labour and income statistics manager Sean Broughton said in October that the ratio of housing costs to household income had not changed significantly."
    Maybe not for those who have already paid off most of their homes, with interest rates being low. I'd be interested to see the Auckland situation, compared to nationwide.

Anyway, the new free tertiary education policy is formally launched, starting with one year fulltime or two years part-time. That's good going from the new coalition. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11953327

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Anyway, the new free tertiary education policy is formally launched, starting with one year fulltime or two years part-time. That's good going from the new coalition. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11953327
    I'm not against free education but do you think people will go to Uni rather than be on the dole? After all they would earn more.
    Seems to me that there should be some sort of incentive to pass.
    With my kids I paid for their Uni IF they passed - my pass, no money.