sharetrader
    Advanced Member

Imagine the mess if National had been government before GFC?
    Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    But imagine the mess if Labour had been in power.

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    I have read their policies.
    Note how the percentage tax reduction increases as the declared income increases. 0.5% at $10000 8% at $70000
    The free market works well in NZ Even National has investigated petrol pricing and as for a duopoly in supermarkets. Compare Australian prices with NZ.
    Cut back on rules and regulations, do away with RMA. Introduce toll roads, congestion charges, and so on.

The average wage earner would really suffer under an ACT led Government.

westerly
    The average wage earner is in the bracket 48k - 70k, $1200 - $1750 saved per year is a fair amount.

As evidence advocates, free markets are insurmountably more efficient and effective for 'the majority of participants' than the alternatives... of course compromises are made and and who am I to say if someone's opinion on this is wrong...

Of course regulations are not inherently bad... ACT want to apply a realistic approach to burdens placed on businesses and citizens of NZ who are wanting to progress further.

As for toll roads and congestion charges... reducing the petrol tax substantially will offset the 'total costs' of transport for the majority of Kiwis.
    The government can efficiently generate more revenue through a flat fee on these multi billion dollar roads than the huge taxes put on petrol.
    As cars become more efficient and one day when petrol is secondary, toll roads will be the norm... This is merely an unpopular policy, purely for psychological reasons as opposed to realistic reasoning.

In conclusion, none of their policy's matter as they are not going to be in government in the near future!

I expect Labour to be in Government, despite leaning right, this country counts on their success and I have only the best of wishes for them... Winston can eat it though.
    Last edited by hardt; 12-08-2017 at 03:39 PM.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    But imagine the mess if Labour had been in power.
    LOL national created it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    I have read their policies.
    Note how the percentage tax reduction increases as the declared income increases. 0.5% at $10000 8% at $70000
    The free market works well in NZ Even National has investigated petrol pricing and as for a duopoly in supermarkets. Compare Australian prices with NZ.
    Cut back on rules and regulations, do away with RMA. Introduce toll roads, congestion charges, and so on.

The average wage earner would really suffer under an ACT led Government.

westerly
    Only those who would be devastated by paying less tax. They could always make voluntary payments to IRD to make themselves feel better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hardt View Post
    Explain how a lower tax rate could possibly hurt those who earn less...?
    Income Bracket Current ACT’s Proposal (from 1 April 2018)
    0-14,000 10.5% 10%
    14,000-48,000 17.5% 15%
    48,000-70,000 30% 25%
    more than 70,000 33% 25%
    True, The income tax rates would be reduced - especially benefiting those on high income, and company tax would be reduced too. So in the absence of tax reforms, taking iinto account the main ways revenue is raised and how investment returns and income are taxed in NZ, this increases the regressive nature of the tax system.

Public services will be maintained by "increasing efficiencies". Let's hope that would not involve a cut in public services, affecting the poorer in society...And if the efficiencies cannot be magicked up to replace the lost revenue from tax cuts, which services would be cut? Would GST be raised to cover the shortfall? After all they did not promise to reduce GST even on food basics..
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-08-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    ....... Public services will be maintained by "increasing efficiencies". Let's hope that would not involve a cut in public services, affecting the poorer in society...And if the efficiencies cannot be magicked up to replace the lost revenue from tax cuts, which services would be cut? Would GST be raised to cover the shortfall? After all they did not promise to reduce GST even on food basics..
    A useful yardstick is that 30% of any process is waste. Useful because if a review of a process starts out with the aim of finding that amount, much more likely to find it.

Friend of mine in charge of a complex public sector process brought in an industrial engineer to review it like an assembly line. Major efficiencies in time and effort.

Plus some services can be transferred to different providers which commit to better outcomes. We have seen some of that under the current government - Lifeline, Waipareira Trust and the Problem Gambling Foundation come to mind as contracts cancelled in some cases for poor performance.

There is a lot more government performance measurement now. As Tom de Marco said - You can't control what you can't measure.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    A useful yardstick is that 30% of any process is waste. Useful because if a review of a process starts out with the aim of finding that amount, much more likely to find it. ...
    It would be great if another 30% waste is found each and every time the same processes are reviewed for waste...I guess it can depend too on how "waste" is defined. Public expectations can be massaged. Maybe that's what happens when public hospital waiting lists are "reviewed" and some persons waiting for "elective" surgery are sent letters removing them from the queue.

That is not to say that efficiency cannot be improved through improved technology and management processes. I recall watching a program on Heathrow Airport about how it has managed to squeeze increasing numbers of aircraft movements from the airport's two runways, thereby progressively extending the airport's capacity without needing a third runway.

EZ - the tee shirts are pretty crap
    http://www.labour.org.nz/shop#!/Lets...=0&sort=normal

I've told Andrew I want a JACINDA 17 tee to go with my KEVIN 07 collection

Won an election for Kevin ...show some creativity guys
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    800 more cars on auckland roads evey week i heard on national radio. what a mess national have left for labour to sort out.
    Labour won't be in power.

Advanced Member

Maybe nit but a Labour NZ First could easily be