sharetrader
Page 1535 of 1570 FirstFirst ... 53510351435148515251531153215331534153515361537153815391545 ... LastLast
Results 15,341 to 15,350 of 15698
  1. #15341
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    7,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Perhaps she planned it, like she's had enough of being told she's useless and going to be rolled sooner or later and decided she'd bring it on herself now citing some lame complaint from 2017 knowing full well it would lead to her being ousted.
    Not sure. Wouldn't a politician try to make a good figure when they leave the stage?

    I find it hard to think about a way she can spin that into a heroic and brave departure she can tell her grandchildren about as bed time story.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  2. #15342
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    7,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    No disrespect to Shane, he's clearly only there in a caretaker roll now & gone on Tuesday.
    Even ex National MP John Carter said this afternoon, it would have been much better if caucus had sorted out the new leader today.
    Instead, the dysfunction & divisiveness will only continue.

    Never good optics to have an organisation leaderless because they're incapable of deciding who to choose. esp when you're wanting to project you're capable of running the country.

    The next several days are going to be filled with speculation & rumour in the media, a lot of it not helpful to the party. e.g., did the board really unanimously condone Judith demoting Bridges last night & if so why? Should Goodfellow go now ? Who is this Jaquie Dean no one had heard of until now? Is Luxon too conservative & out of step with diverse modern NZ, too middle aged, too bald, too white, too 1950's ?
    Similarly with Mark Mitchell & how will his private for profit Military & Security Contracting business which made millions off the Iraq war go down with middle NZ?
    etc.
    Good questions ... maybe they even should extend this period.

    Seriously - isn't this the process US politicians tend to go through (the primaries) - and look at what amazing leaders come out of this process ...?

    Oops - I withdraw and apologize.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  3. #15343
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    7,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I think Chris needs to step up and challenge for the leadership with Erica as his deputy and make sure the front bench includes liberal MPs such as Nicola Willis & Chris Bishop in prominent roles. Give Bridges Foreign Affairs.
    I agree, they need to bring the "centre" back to "centre-right".

    But hey - this is only, if they want to have a fighting chance to win the next elections. About that I am not so sure anymore - I guess they really seem to enjoy to shrink their base and with that the polls.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  4. #15344
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hastings, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Read the voices of Labour & Green now - how they wished the deeply unpopular and judgement impaired Judith could have lasted until the next election.
    Maybe they had a crush on her...

  5. #15345
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    15,911

  6. #15346
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    15,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Maybe they had a crush on her...
    They loved her! She was secretly working for them, it seems?

    A John Key type leader in waiting in Opposition would have seen Clueless Cindy & her team of incompetents down below 30% polling.

  7. #15347
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    They loved her! She was secretly working for them, it seems?
    A John Key type leader in waiting in Opposition would have seen Clueless Cindy & her team of incompetents down below 30% polling.
    Does Luxon do it for you? We know todd muller did.

  8. #15348
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    15,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Does Luxon do it for you? We know todd muller did.
    Does Grant Robertson do it for you?

    Or are you more inclined towards Poto Williams?

    https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/...iction-policy/

    Don’t be shy - both are right up your tree.
    Last edited by Balance; 25-11-2021 at 06:17 PM.

  9. #15349
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hastings, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    No disrespect to Shane, he's clearly only there in a caretaker roll now & gone on Tuesday.
    Even ex National MP John Carter said this afternoon, it would have been much better if caucus had sorted out the new leader today.
    Instead, the dysfunction & divisiveness will only continue.

    Never good optics to have an organisation leaderless because they're incapable of deciding who to choose. esp when you're wanting to project you're capable of running the country.

    The next several days are going to be filled with speculation & rumour in the media, a lot of it not helpful to the party. e.g., did the board really unanimously condone Judith demoting Bridges last night & if so why? Should Goodfellow go now ? Who is this Jaquie Dean no one had heard of until now? Is Luxon too conservative & out of step with diverse modern NZ, too middle aged, too bald, too white, too 1950's ?
    Similarly with Mark Mitchell & how will his private for profit Military & Security Contracting business which made millions off the Iraq war go down with middle NZ?
    etc.
    All good relevant comment, and questions that show you have more than a superficial interest in politics.

    However, I take into account that unlike an employee giving 2 weeks notice, or a professional or company board member giving 1 months notice, Judith Collins was only rolled after 9 am this morn, and so those who decide on replacement need to give due consideration to all options, not just who shouts the loudest on the day.

    The fact is they have more than 1 option, and more than 1 combination to consider, no ad hoc decision or band aid necessary.

    In the eyes of the electorate, focus quickly shifts from how the new leader took the pass, and how long it took to get there, to how they play the ball once they have it.

    In my view, succession planning was much easier under first past the post.
    Under MMP, in opposition, they may give more consideration to who the main opponent is.
    No doubt Don Brash would have an opinion on that.
    Last edited by Getty; 25-11-2021 at 07:01 PM.

  10. #15350
    Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    At least NZ's Centre-right party knows when its leader has finally jumped the shark!

    Boris Johnson has jumped the shark many times and still the UK's Hard Right Party hangs on to him for fear their house of cards will come tumbling down.

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/uk/300...usiness-speech

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •