sharetrader
    Guru

Totally wrong is this free tertiary policy in the way it is implemented. It should have been 50% of costs each year starting from next year. It is amazing how more appreciative a student will be of their education if they have to pay out of their own pocket.

Give a kid a car and see how they treat it as against a kid that has scrimped and saved to buy one for them self.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Totally wrong is this free tertiary policy in the way it is implemented. .
    I agree. If it is to be implemented it should have been on the final year (not the first) and on the basis of passing, rather than attending. Also should be targeted at qualifications / skills that are in short supply.

That said, given its free and I'm paying for it Im looking at Scuba Diving, Sky Diving, Mixology and Scuba courses to fill my time next year. Cant decide which!

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I agree. If it is to be implemented it should have been on the final year (not the first) and on the basis of passing, rather than attending. Also should be targeted at qualifications / skills that are in short supply.

That said, given its free and I'm paying for it Im looking at Scuba Diving, Sky Diving, Mixology and Scuba courses to fill my time next year. Cant decide which!
    Polytec course on crypto mining sounds attractive
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Polytec course on crypto mining sounds attractive
    I'd be up for that as well - I wouldn't even need to use my Authorship tokens as payment.

Legend

Of course a lot of the value of any tertiary course is that someone starts it, does well in it and completes it. No matter what the subject. How many of us have been forced to enrol in maths courses that we'll never use in our work. I rely mostly on stuff I learnt in my School Cert year. Maybe there should be more of these alternative courses instead, the principle is the same.

Colmar Brunton has finally moved its polling methodology to a mix of mobile phones to landlines. It's a 50/50 mix, and they got the numbers by using a random number generator. They did manage to find more young voters with this method, as expected, easier. Of course they are now talking to individual voters they'd never have reached before.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...e-young-voters

Labour is now polling at 39%, National not much higher.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11956854

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post

They did manage to find more young voters with this method, as expected, easier. Of course they are now talking to individual voters they'd never have reached before.
    Just curious - how do you know they reached more younger voters? I guess I might be able to follow your argumentation that they reached more younger people, given that they probably have in proportion less landline connections ... but what makes you think that these young people are voters?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Labour is now polling at 39%, National not much higher.
    Well National got 46%. That is 17.95% more than Labour got.

But screw the results to reflect what you want.

Of course a lot of the value of any tertiary course is that someone starts it, does well in it and completes it.
    Completion is not a measure of value.

At best it is just a short term indication of how successful a training educations organization is in helping students to compete course.

I guess where there might be value is determining which organisations are successful and which aren't. Universities don't do too badly 2014 = 86% completion rates, still stable in 2016 with 86%. But waananga. That's a different story. 80% in 2014 and drops 77% in 2016. And if you look at Youth Guarantee students the Waanaga started at 70% in 2104 falling to 61% in 2016. Lets see how these figures change with free first year education (I intend passing my courses - though I hope my Mixology course doesn't slow me down in my sky diving one)

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Well National got 46%. That is 17.95% more than Labour got.

But screw the results to reflect what you want.
    NAtional bigger than the 2 parties that make up the Cabinet combined. EZ doesn't let facts stand in the way of a good story :-)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    NAtional bigger than the 2 parties that make up the Cabinet combined. EZ doesn't let facts stand in the way of a good story :-)
    But Labour and their coalition partners are the GOVERNMENT!