sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    46 is 17.95% more than 39. It's not that hard.
    But 7% points sound so much closer
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

A percentage of a percentage?
    46% is 7% higher than 39%

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    A percentage of a percentage?
    46% is 7% higher than 39%
    No 46% is 17.95% higher than 39%. There fixed it for you.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Though these games are interesting, as a tax payer, I find it to be a big waste of time.
    I know National would like to see Labour fail but a fail for Labour means a fail for us all.
    Let them play their games on their own dime - not mine.
    They dont give a stuff about us taxpayers, wasting time or uniting or collaborating its all negative . Its combat to them, anything to take down the govt with no thought to the country but getting the power back. Old school, showing their true selfish colours will weaken them further long term.

Thought you would show up
    But who is screwing the result of the poll ?

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    They dont give a stuff about us taxpayers, wasting time or uniting or collaborating its all negative . Its combat to them, anything to take down the govt with no thought to the country but getting the power back. Old school, showing their true selfish colours will weaken them further long term.
    I know - that's how Labour Green used to behave for 9 long years - what money wasters they have been if you think e.g. about their brain dead approach to sabotage the Gentailer listings.

But still - in case you missed it - Winston brought the Left into government. Time to stop complaining and do something positive ... otherwise your time in power might be severely constrained
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Well National got 46%. That is 17.95% more than Labour got.

But screw the results to reflect what you want.

Technically National achieved 17.95% more votes than Labour. But you have to add the Green and NZ First votes in, 777. That's how the left-wing coalition won the election. National ended up with no friends.

Plus, in all situations where votes are being considered, the results are expressed in terms of percentage of the nationwide vote. The difference between the parties is always expressed in terms of a percentage nationwide vote difference.

In this case, if just 3.5% of voters change their mind from theoretically voting for National to voting for Labour, they're neck and neck. Coincidentally the percentage error in the polls is usually +/- 3% for a sample size of 1000 voters.
    Last edited by elZorro; 13-12-2017 at 06:51 PM.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I know - that's how Labour Green used to behave for 9 long years - what money wasters they have been if you think e.g. about their brain dead approach to sabotage the Gentailer listings.

But still - in case you missed it - Winston brought the Left into government. Time to stop complaining and do something positive ... otherwise your time in power might be severely constrained
    Where have you been , theres a lot going on despite the spiteful. Looking forward to tomorrows details .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Technically National achieved 17.95% more votes than Labour. But you have to add the Green and NZ First votes in, 777. That's how the left-wing coalition won the election. National ended up with no friends.

Plus, in all situations where votes are being considered, the results are expressed in terms of percentage of the nationwide vote. The difference between the parties is always expressed in terms of a percentage nationwide vote difference.

In this case, if just 3.5% of voters change their mind from theoretically voting for National to voting for Labour, they're neck and neck. Coincidentally the percentage error in the polls is usually +/- 3% for a sample size of 1000 voters.
    I didn't need a lesson on how a government is formed. My post was simply a reply to your Labour v National figures to show you how much more support National has compared with Labour when you were trying to indicate how close they are.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    I didn't need a lesson on how a government is formed. My post was simply a reply to your Labour v National figures to show you how much more support National has compared with Labour when you were trying to indicate how close they are.
    In view of the media help for National, it's a wonder there was a change of government. I happened to be watching 7 Sharp tonight, when Mike Hosking announced he and Toni Street are ending their time on the show from tomorrow.

I will really miss his right-wing pro-National rants on prime TV, free adverts while National was in power and leading up to the election. Where else will the nation get their political compass from now?

Actually, it made my week