sharetrader

Hovel - rat hole
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Investor View Post
    Joshuatree can't even spell words such as don't and i'm correctly. He is fortunate to have anyone that is willing to responding to his posts.
    what was dat innvespa.Vee rr awl fourtuna it to lift here i fink ,yess indeedy;; we'll nknott in a hovel we r ennywayy.

IMO

Jeepers this sure is swinging rollercoaster of an election folks. I need a triple shot flat white.Laters

Is govel a word?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I suppose you believe that

Like 2008 they had a 'balanced' budget but they left office with huge forecast deficits
    I think if you look at it carefully, Treasury forecast several years of budget deficits, in a report from about 2008. They are notoriously poor at estimating figures like that, even 2-3 years out. So these were a best guess. National grabbed that report and used it in the 2008 elections and in every opportunity since. They used it to show that they must be better than Labour at running the country. We'll never know just how much better a Labour Govt would have been at handling the GFC or the earthquakes. I thought you had more sense of the historical nature of that forecast, W69.

Advanced Member

The 2021 announcement only relates to the outcome of the working group. Mr Robertson said the announced taxes and tax cuts would remain, along with removing negative gearing (on what?) and extending the brightline test to 5 years. He also said in the interview that Labour would pick and choose what working group recommendations they would adopt.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    It's an interesting illustration but I'd make the observation about the size and specification of housing. Most homes in the early 1960s were modest 3 bedroom wooden homes (or brick and tile or even fibrolite cladding) with one bathroom, one WC, a laminate or wood finished kitchen with one sink and a basic Atlas electric range.

Hot water - electric with pressure reducer.

They were typically heated with an open fireplace, wooden joinery and particle board flooring. Lighting was often confined to single incandescent bulb per room.

That's quite different from what we expect from housing today.
    Not for first home buyers today. (In Auckland, if not elsewhere) People not on the property ladder already are told by our leaders to expect to buy a small apartment in a block as the affordable option (even that option is pretty well unaffordable now for those on median incomes). A 1960s style house that previous generations bought as a first home in the 1960s would be a palace in comparison!

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    That will help stop the official slave labour status that NZ has become. Robots fixing a problem that national have avoided(yet another).
    Robots will pay tax as well.If they get an IRD number maybe they could claim person status as well
    Migrant worker describes 'modern day slavery' scam

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Jeepers this sure is swinging rollercoaster of an election folks. I need a triple shot flat white.Laters
    Said like a true 21st century Labourite! What those Blackball miners must make of today's Labour party Lord only knows.

Jacinda has just been interviewed on the West Coast. Turns out the backdown on implementation timing is another Captain's Call! So before when the housing crisis made it too urgent to delay, it is now not so urgent, with legislation expected 2020 and not enacting until 2021. What did George Gregan say? "4 more years boys, 4 more years"

What happened to the heart wringing pleas to move with urgency? Political expediency is what happened. In other words, gaining power is more important than the strength of your convictions. But remember, Jacinda wants to do politics differently.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I think if you look at it carefully, Treasury forecast several years of budget deficits, in a report from about 2008. They are notoriously poor at estimating figures like that, even 2-3 years out. So these were a best guess. National grabbed that report and used it in the 2008 elections and in every opportunity since. They used it to show that they must be better than Labour at running the country. We'll never know just how much better a Labour Govt would have been at handling the GFC or the earthquakes. I thought you had more sense of the historical nature of that forecast, W69.
    ...but Labour were behind in the polls at the time and the projected budget deficits (manageable?) implied they could afford the promises being made.

Mind you there was some structural 'flaws' in some of Treasury's assumptions at the time.